The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jakob Stukel | LW

thejazz97

The biggest thing about Stukel's development was that he missed about 18 months with a torn ACL at a crucial time. 

His last year with the Giants he showed good flashes but would be dead tired after a 30 second shift, and his conditioning was so bad that he was doubled over on the way to the bench. He was still catching up to game shape all year. Could get open on a rush, not much finish, but his breaks were the best on the team. 

IMHO, this last season was him finally getting his legs and wind. I had thought he was worth a 7th rounder last year as I saw his lack of conditioning as positive not a negative. 

44 minutes ago, theminister said:

The biggest thing about Stukel's development was that he missed about 18 months with a torn ACL at a crucial time. 

His last year with the Giants he showed good flashes but would be dead tired after a 30 second shift, and his conditioning was so bad that he was doubled over on the way to the bench. He was still catching up to game shape all year. Could get open on a rush, not much finish, but his breaks were the best on the team. 

IMHO, this last season was him finally getting his legs and wind. I had thought he was worth a 7th rounder last year as I saw his lack of conditioning as positive not a negative. 

I'm super excited about him. He's me second favorite prospect from this draft.

I tell you what...if this kid can drive the net with that speed and fearlessness just one year after a bad knee injury....

Jakob will prove out to be a huge steal with just one more year of injury free development.

The speed is only going to get faster, it takes a year just to get back to where you were after a bad knee injury.

The heart seems to be there, to rehab himself so quick and his statement that he wants to work on his defensive game and be 

an all around player.

Stoked on this one...

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I am absolutely pumped for this guy. NHL in 2-3 years barring injuries, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he made the roster this year.

ZizvBvf44hzkA.gif

I've been saying since day one that he's my second favorite player from this draft next to OJ. I'm glad others see what I see. I wouldnt have blinked if we took him with our third.

Here's the question if he's every thing posters make this goy out to be. How come they took others ahead of him and most professional scouts on other teams had him rated below that. If he has this great upside why did they not take him with their next pick after Juolevi or ahead of Lockwood and Candella ?

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the question if he's every thing posters make this goy out to be. How come they took others ahead of him and most professional scouts on other teams had him rated below that. If he has this great upside why did they not take him with their next pick after Juolevi or ahead of Lockwood and Candella ?

Could ask the same thing about Hutton.  Datsyuk. Lindstrom. Zetterberg.  Palat. 

He looks amazing imo. Maybe it's just luck. Maybe the Canucks knew that no one would take him so why waste an earlier pick.

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Could ask the same thing about Hutton.  Datsyuk. Lindstrom. Zetterberg.  Palat. 

He looks amazing imo. Maybe it's just luck. Maybe the Canucks knew that no one would take him so why waste an earlier pick.

It could be as you say. But this early before people get too carried away with their prolific and enthusiastic assessments ...lets wait and see. If he comes out of camp still looking good/OK then maybe we can say he's the next Hutton like surprise. I recommend collectively crossing our fingers :lol:

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It could be as you say. But this early before people get too carried away with their prolific and enthusiastic assessments ...lets wait and see. If he comes out of camp still looking good/OK then maybe we can say he's the next Hutton like surprise. I recommend collectively crossing our fingers :lol:

Oh for sure. I rarely make prospect projections or comparisons anymore. Man I thought cody Hodgson would be a 100 pt player lol. All.I know is that stook looks good right now.

4 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Oh for sure. I rarely make prospect projections or comparisons anymore. Man I thought cody Hodgson would be a 100 pt player lol. All.I know is that stook looks good right now.

I think Cody Hodgson was my eureka moment.... :lol:.....   Like you I had high expectations

IMO it will be interesting to see who does the best Lockwood or Stukel

49 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

ACL injury + 19 years old.

7 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

True, but every one new that fact, it wasn't a secret. I'm sure teams assess that risk with qualified medicals staff. Teams are inclined to do depth investigations on perspective candidates ( hence the size of the staff ) Many interview teachers for instance etc for clues to character. Some thing as threatening as an AC injury would not be whiffed on ( or I hope not ) I can't make up my mind if there's another shoe to drop or it's all fluke. I'd have thought a fluke is slim ...or should be slim. I guess I get frustrated with all this love being heaped on this kid at  basically youth camp.

55 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I never really noticed 2nd year draft eligible players getting taken until we picked up Tryamkin. Benning seems to keep an eye on these guys and isn't afraid to draft them. Is this common around the league or are we an aberration in this case? 

9 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I never really noticed 2nd year draft eligible players getting taken until we picked up Tryamkin. Benning seems to keep an eye on these guys and isn't afraid to draft them. Is this common around the league or are we an aberration in this case? 

Not common, but not out of the ordinary. Datsyuk was one such case. Adam Brooks of the Regina Pats (represent!) was drafted by the Leafs in the 3rd round.

Archived