The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

who do we keep for the expansion draft and who can be lost

vancitybuzz35

4 hours ago, vancitybuzz35 said:

i understand the expansion draft part where we keep 7 forwards, 3 d men and a goalie but i dont understand if players like tryamkin, virtanen, and hutton will be available to be taken if not protected.

i was also wondering who you guys think benning will keep

Tryamkin Virtanen and Hutton won't be available to be taken as they are exempt. So don't worry those players aren't going anywhere I can promise you that.

9 minutes ago, vancitybuzz35 said:

i understand the expansion draft part where we keep 7 forwards, 3 d men and a goalie but i dont understand if players like tryamkin, virtanen, and hutton will be available to be taken if not protected.

If you go to General Fanager it will show you who is exempt and who is in play. Those three players are all exempt and don't need protection. 

22 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if im van id leave sbisa or dorsett open to be grabbed  frees up an additional 2.65 mill or 3.6 mill on top of 13mill miller, higgins, burrows coming off books

15-17 mill to resign horvat, tryamkin, markstrom, gaunce, gudbranson and hutton perfect 

I didn't do my research to double check if all of those players are actually free agents but if you're right then it's going to take all that money to re-sign them. Not much cap space to work with in free agency next year.

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

if im van id leave sbisa or dorsett open to be grabbed  frees up an additional 2.65 mill or 3.6 mill on top of 13mill miller, higgins, burrows coming off books

15-17 mill to resign horvat, tryamkin, markstrom, gaunce, gudbranson and hutton perfect 

If players are still on the books at their full cap hit, it means that they are still with the team taking up a roster spot - so they would need to be replaced too.   For Miller, the team will need a backup goalie and the cost will be carved out of the 6M that comes off the books for him. 

It's a year away...

Who gets traded before then?

Who do we acquire?

What Free Agents do we sign? For how long?

Which players have crappy years and can be left unprotected?

Who has a serious injury?

Too many what ifs to even begin to know what our roster looks like at the beginning of the season, let alone at the end of it.

While this is extremely early, if I had to take a guess:

Sedin

Sedin

Sutter

Horvat

Hansen

Baertschi

FA winger signed this year

Now if Hansen gets moved, or we don't want/get the FA winger, I could see one of Rodin/Granlund/Gaunce/Etem protected (or one of the four turns out to be really good and needs to be protected).

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

on defense, no question.

And once Markstrom is signed, protect Markstrom. Would need to sign a goaltender to expose though.

I was playing around the General Fanager site...then I realized the Canucks don't have enough to protect all of their forwards.

Defense (Tanev/Edler/Gudbranson) and goalies (Markstrom) are all set to go.

Sedins are already on No Move Clause...so thats 2/7.

Then you need to protect Horvat + Baertschi because they played more than 2 years already. That's 4/7.

Sutter is probably another one that needs protection since we traded for him. Then that's 5/7.

Only 2 left remaining...and there is still Hansen/Granlund/Gaunce plus that UFA Sniper we need to sign on July 1.

So if we were to protect Loui Eriksson say for an example...that's 6/7. Then we use the last one to protect Hansen?

So the 2 forwards we expose are Granlund, Dorsett. The defense we expose will be either Biega or Sbisa.

Goalie exposed will be Miller?

Also, I took a look at Chicago....my God, they already protected their core players. Bowman is VERY smart...

On 26/06/2016 at 0:39 AM, vancitybuzz35 said:

Well, you can start by reading through the other threads on this, they'll have a pretty good idea of what's going on already:

21 hours ago, homersexual said:

Is OP from VancityBuzz?

Can you quote me in an article?

I hope he's not, otherwise he's missed out on the part of journalism school where you're supposed to check for resources and build a story (aka use the search function to find other similar threads) rather than just ask other people to tell you how things work.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope General Fanager is right about Tryamkin being exempt.  It all depends on whether his years in the KHL count as "pro", which on the face of it, they should.  If they do, then we'd have 3 spots to go around between Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Sbisa.  It would be enough to make me consider moving Edler to protect Tanev, Gudbranson and Tryamkin.  Good thing we have a year to evaluate, but on the basis of what we saw last spring, there's no way I'd leave Tryamkin unprotected. 

Archived