Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL considers discipline for Canucks GM


Rubik

Recommended Posts

Quote

Benning facing penalty for comments on Subban, Stamkos

BUFFALO -- The NHL plans to make a determination on potential discipline for Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning because of comments he made during a radio interview Thursday about trying to acquire defenseman P.K. Subban in a trade and attempting to sign Steven Stamkos as an unrestricted free agent.

The NHL does not condone executives or anybody associated with a team publicly discussing players under contract with another team unless granted permission. It is considered a form of tampering.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Saturday he has been in touch with Benning and Canucks president Trevor Linden about what happened and the League will have an announcement next week.

Daly said the potential discipline is meted out on a sliding scale based on the damage the comments may have caused.

"There are a lot of different factors involved in something like that too," Daly said. "You have to see if there was damage done by the comments. Typically, if it's perceived it's more a violation than damage done, the penalty might be less. It really depends on the certain circumstance."

Benning made the comments on TSN 1040 Radio in Vancouver. He said he has talked with the Montreal Canadiens about acquiring Subban and added he plans on calling Stamkos' agent, Don Meehan, to discuss the potential of the Tampa Bay Lightning center signing with the Canucks.

Subban has six years remaining on his contract with the Canadiens. Stamkos' contract with the Lightning expires July 1, when he can become an unrestricted free agent.

"I received a number of concerns, not solely from the teams involved," Daly said. "So it was a matter of general concern among some of our clubs."

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin reportedly was upset at Benning's comments.

"He crossed the line," Bergevin told The Province in Vancouver.

Benning's comments about Stamkos would not have been an issue had he waited until Saturday to make them.

The NHL interview period opened at 12:01 a.m. ET Saturday, granting GMs permission to talk to pending unrestricted free agents and their agents to gauge their interest in signing. Daly said GMs are allowed to talk publicly about pending UFAs during that window.

The window is open until 12 p.m. ET on Friday, when players can begin to sign with another team.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-considering-discipline-for-canucks-gm-jim-benning/c-281066054

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't blame Bergevin for being pissed. Imagine if another GM talked about Horvat or Tanev and the price for them. We would be pissed as well as it undermines the relationship with the player and also creates more speculation on that player's future. Fine him 50K (not to the team but to Benning) and let's move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, We Are All Cynics said:

It's highly unlikely either of those players would be interested in coming here so the damage would've been miniscule.

 

That being said, I'm sure the NHL will decide to make an example of Benning, all of a sudden, and punish the Canucks to the extreme.

Considering the media firestorm Bergevin had to deal with plus the potential damage to his relationship with P.K. I'd say the damage was more than miniscule.  That said I can't imagine the penalty will be anything more than a fine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I can't blame Bergevin for being pissed. Imagine if another GM talked about Horvat or Tanev and the price for them. We would be pissed as well as it undermines the relationship with the player and also creates more speculation on that player's future. Fine him 50K (not to the team but to Benning) and let's move on.

We would also be pissed if other gm's came out and started confirming they were gonna call our UFA's or RFA's . It gives the players an advantage over the teams and its not right. No matter how innocent JB's intentions were, you have to punish what he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Considering the media firestorm Bergevin had to deal with plus the potential damage to his relationship with P.K. I'd say the damage was more than miniscule.  That said I can't imagine the penalty will be anything more than a fine

 

3 minutes ago, TheAce said:

We would also be pissed if other gm's came out and started confirming they were gonna call our UFA's or RFA's . It gives the players an advantage over the teams and its not right. No matter how innocent JB's intentions were, you have to punish what he did.

The Habs already (with purposeful intent) leaked a great deal of information to the French press.  First about PK's negative lockeroom influence, and second about trying to trade him.  JB very innocently only confirmed what the French press had already been writing about for some time.

by the rule JB gets a fine, but the negativity in the Habs lockeroom still exists.  

Hate the Habs, and they deserve to keep their over paid problem. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I get being pissed off about the Subban talk, is that one actually against any rules?   He was talking about trade talks with another GM,  it about trying to attract someone who is a free agent ith another team...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wash said:

While I get being pissed off about the Subban talk, is that one actually against any rules?   He was talking about trade talks with another GM,  it about trying to attract someone who is a free agent ith another team...

Yes, it's against the rules to discuss any player currently under contract to another team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I like Bennings drafting, he is really digging a hole for himself and the team. He's had numerous instances where he went about things the wrong way and broke rules. Whether he understood the rule or not, you gotta think the free agents see these things and it pushes them away from wanting to sign here. If I played in the NHL I wouldn't want to play for a team whose gm doesn't understand league rules and who pisses off the other teams gms. IMO he's burning bridges with other gms as well, and they are gonna be less likely to want to deal with him. The whole hamhuis thing already gave benning and the Canucks a negative view from the rest of the NHL. He just keep burying himself further 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Canucks1527 said:

As much as I like Bennings drafting, he is really digging a hole for himself and the team. He's had numerous instances where he went about things the wrong way and broke rules. Whether he understood the rule or not, you gotta think the free agents see these things and it pushes them away from wanting to sign here. If I played in the NHL I wouldn't want to play for a team whose gm doesn't understand league rules and who pisses off the other teams gms. IMO he's burning bridges with other gms as well, and they are gonna be less likely to want to deal with him. The whole hamhuis thing already gave benning and the Canucks a negative view from the rest of the NHL. He just keep burying himself further 

You sound like Someone, who is not pleased with JB.  Maybe our owner only hires rookie GM's and management.  Gillis was a rookie; Linden was a rookie; and JB was a rookie; and let's not leave out WD.  The only experienced guy (Gilman) was fired - seemingly without cause.  

IMHAO, There is A LOT going on behind the scenes with our owner influencing hockey decisions.  JB said he's interested in PK and Stamkos by name (mistake) maybe because he's being pressured by our owner to make a big acquisition to help sell tickets?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...