The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Have we bridged the gap?

Warhippy

So of course the usual melt down happened this week

ZOMG Benningz didn't trade all da vetz and draft all the prospeckzzz

But let's be serious here.  It can be hard watching other teams do that.  We all get shiny new toy syndrome and would like to add to our teams' personal wealth in depth and skilled prospects. 

But we couldn't.  Why?  Because we traded all the picks right?  Well sort of.

We traded a few picks and for a few players over the past few seasons to bridge that perceived gap of 20-25 age players.  The reason being we needed skilled young NHL ready bodies.  Most people could see that.

But after the Real Gud Trade (Gudbranson) and shoring up our defense with arguably a possible NHL ready D Man in Juolevi this draft are we done?  Have we finally bridged the gap where we can now start stockpiling picks as opposed to trying to bridge that gap?

Just really wondering what everyone thinks in regards to this or if they think we might see another few trades this year to bring in a few wingers/D at or around the 20-25 age range.

Thoughts?

I like what Jim has done to the defense and we're pretty solid in net, so to state the obvious, we need to work on the forwards.  Instead of overpaying to get the big name UFAs (i.e. I don't think Stamkos is the answer though we do need some scoring), I think that we need to shore up on the wings by making a few judicious moves.  Not necessarily in the 20-25 age range but good solid NHL players (who have an upside instead).  I'd like to see 2 or 3 UFA signings and/or trades and I think we're going to see it, soon.  I think Benning is well aware of that and already working on it. 

We're definitely still a team in transition but I think now that the draft is over, a pretty clear picture of what our new core will look like is starting to emerge. 

As of today, we don't have the greatest D in the league but there's serious potential there. Give our young D guys 2-4 years to keep progressing and we could really have something special on our hands. I'm certainly more excited about them now than I have been in years anyway. 

When it comes to the forward group, that's actually a bit trickier for me right now. We definitely have some good young forwards on the team and in the system, but remove the Sedins from the Canucks and we have a giant hole that I'm not sure we could fill.

Only time will tell but I will say I finished this draft in an optimistic mood, rather than last year which was a bummer for me. 

If the team feel comfortable signing 30+ players to fill in the top two lines why not for the bottom two and let the rookies play in the AHL or another year in junior where they can become the goal scoring studs this team will need.

In signing the 30+ players all that is happening is the "supposed" going for a playoff spot will keep the team in the mid range draft positions.

What happens if the "plan" doesn't work? How many years will it take to evaluate it?

What happens if the "plan" does work? Are they good enough to out compete with the other teams in the division?

OJ is good player and could end up being the next OEL, but does he address the need over the next two years? If he fits in there then it can be said the Canucks are set a defence for the next ten years.

In the desperate move of getting the perceived age gap, the team has created others, or rather two now. The vets are getting too long in the tooth and the rookies are not on par with others in the division.

Is this draft now supposed to be "okay, now we will look to getting top line players"? It should be noted that the 2017 draft is supposed to be loaded with defence men, a couple that were better than any taken this year and not so much the quality of forwards the last three drafts have had.

I'd say Benning has on defense.  It's crazy what the addition of Gudbranson and a promising start to Tryamkin's NHL career did for defensive depth.  The outlook on defense is a complete 180 from where it was in, say, March.

Although there is more depth there, the forward group still needs more upgrading in overall skill.  If anything can be done about it is the million dollar question since the only way to improve our young skill upfront without drafting it would be to re-gut the defense depth.  So, yeah, the bridge could be gapped as much as it can be.

I know Benning and co intend to go into free agency and that will help for forward skill depth.  They need to for competitive and expansion draft purposes.  I just hope they don't get into anything past 4 years.  Perfect world, I know.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But let's be serious here.  It can be hard watching other teams do that.  We all get shiny new toy syndrome and would like to add to our teams' personal wealth in depth and skilled prospects. 

We traded a few picks and for a few players over the past few seasons to bridge that perceived gap of 20-25 age players.  The reason being we needed skilled young NHL ready bodies.  Most people could see that.

But after the Real Gud Trade (Gudbranson) and shoring up our defense with arguably a possible NHL ready D Man in Juolevi this draft are we done?  Have we finally bridged the gap where we can now start stockpiling picks as opposed to trying to bridge that gap?

Just really wondering what everyone thinks in regards to this or if they think we might see another few trades this year to bring in a few wingers/D at or around the 20-25 age range.

Thoughts?

I still think there'll be more moves. Maybe not immediately but it's tough to see where Sbisa & Dorsett fit in long term.

Sooner than later both will be expensive options for a bottom pairing/4th line role with actual prospects needing those spots to get ice time.

Might not happen till after the expansion draft but I'd be surprised if Canucks start the 2017/18 season with those two on the roster.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Thoughts?

JB said something to this effect the other day, but I'm not sure enough to quote it.

I think the D is looking pretty good now, so JB can start adding via the draft.  The team still lacks replacements for the Sedins, which will require giving up too much to achieve.  Tanking to pick up high picks would take an awful long time as well.

I still think there may be some opportunities to improve with so many teams facing cap problems.  The Canucks might be able to acquire a young player if they take a cap dump from another team.  Hopefully the management can find a creative way to pick up a top W at the least.

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

larsen and rodin , are a bit of a ? mark , won't be able to make a call on those guys until camp. hopefully some kind of consolation with those 2.

Personally, I see Larsen and Rodin as support players that are good for overall depth, but probably won't be the answers as future core players.  

I think that's why McCann and Shinkaruk were deemed expendable in the long run.  Are they skilled?  Of course, but Benning and co. didn't see them as their core skilled guys.  At least McCann was part of a trade to bring a guy that will quite certainly be a part of the defense core.  I can see where people have issue with the return of Granlund for Shinkaruk since it's doubtful Granlund will be a fixture in the top six.  That trade will have to be measure by different terms, namely, who will be the more effective NHLer.

4 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I still think there'll be more moves. Maybe not immediately but it's tough to see where Sbisa & Dorsett fit in long term.

Sooner than later both will be expensive options for a bottom pairing/4th line role with actual prospects needing those spots to get ice time.

Might not happen till after the expansion draft but I'd be surprised if Canucks start the 2017/18 season with those two on the roster.

With regards to those two, I think you got it right with the expansion draft.  They will come in handy as either a loseable asset to expose, or to make a quick pick back when I team needs to fill a hole in their roster created by the expansion draft.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

At some point, I think one of edler or tanev are moved for a top 6 fwd.  

I really think they ought to look at moving Edler, but I don't think JB has authority to do so.  I like addition of Gudbranson, although not at the price paid, but IF he fulfills some of the potential he had as a 3rd overall pick, then its a solid move.  I also think that McCann was shipped out with expectations that Canucks would draft Dubois at 5....that obviously did not happen.  Now lets all just pray that JB does not sign a Lucic or Erickson to long-term albatross contracts!

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

Explain.

Feeling I get.  I think JB is a bit of a puppet GM, he's heavily influenced by ownership.  The lack of committment to a true rebuild indicates that IMO.  Also found JBs comments at trade dealine contradictory...

Just now, Frikandel said:

Feeling I get.  I think JB is a bit of a puppet GM, he's heavily influenced by ownership.  The lack of committment to a true rebuild indicates that IMO.  Also found JBs comments at trade dealine contradictory...

So, hearsay. Gotcha.

At this point the answer is likely, no. It is possible that we may not do so well in the UFA market, sounds like there are other teams with plenty of interest in the players in which we are interested. We traded McCann, did not draft a high-end forward to replace him, so that leaves a hole to fill. The defense is looking good, perhaps a Sbisa trade coming and a little tweaking, but nothing major. JB may need to make a deal to bring in a forward or two which may involve some draft picks, as I don't think he's interested in having another tough year.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm just wondering really if we're done moving picks for players in that age bracket and if we're ready to move forward and possibly start keeping or stockpiling picks

Beneficial deals not with standing

I understand Hippy.  I hope you are right, but expect you are wrong.  Our owner is in "make the playoffs" mode, and is a feared of the fan base losing interest in the team if we fall into the bottom feeders.  So, I think we will continue to trade second and third round picks for more developed players, who can compete instantly.  I also see us trading guys like McCann and Sinkaruk (need more development, but have high ceilings) for more "ready now" players.

This is an excellent topic. 

Archived