The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Have we bridged the gap?

Warhippy

Yes I think JB has done a good job building up the back end and up the middle. Wingers can be bought via free agency. I think next years draft will be one where he arms himself with a bunch of picks. The answer to the succession plan of the Sedins will be answered this time next year.

I'm not sure but I think that new negative button has screwed up all your minds. I mean, come on, it's just a frigging minus button. You don't all need to be puppets of the regime.

We are not even close to bridging the gap.. Didn't we finish 3rd last? Do you see the Canucks making the playoffs this year? Seriously? The gap is so wide, the Low life Alberta teams will overtake us this year.

However, I don't really want management to close the gap with these temporary band-aid solutions. I want them to blow it wide open so we can really concentrate on a full rebuild, which is supposed to be the right way.

5 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Most of the VOCAL fan base are in favour of a rebuild (ie on message boards) the vocal fan base is indeed the minority group of fans however

I tend to agree with this.

While I have been in favor of a complete rebuild for three years now, I am and have been in the minority, as far as I can tell. 

34 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Have you tried to spread butter on a fresh slice of bread? Don't tell me butter is soft.

Hey!  That's a good one.  I'll be more descriptive: as the game heats up with intensity, Hamilton melts.  I thought the Flames stole him from the Bruins.  Then watching him play for Calgary, I was totally shocked how he shies from contact.  I don't know if that can be coached out of a player.   B)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I tend to agree with this.

While I have been in favor of a complete rebuild for three years now, I am and have been in the minority, as far as I can tell. 

Surely you can see the job jb has done to make sure there is a core for the next 10 years?

2 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

I'm not sure but I think that new negative button has screwed up all your minds. I mean, come on, it's just a frigging minus button. You don't all need to be puppets of the regime.

We are not even close to bridging the gap.. Didn't we finish 3rd last? Do you see the Canucks making the playoffs this year? Seriously? The gap is so wide, the Low life Alberta teams will overtake us this year.

However, I don't really want management to close the gap with these temporary band-aid solutions. I want them to blow it wide open so we can really concentrate on a full rebuild, which is supposed to be the right way.

Now I know why we have a negative button....   

5 hours ago, Grape said:

We still have a ways to go before we become contenders, and by that time I'm not sure Willie will still be coach or Benning will still be GM. But it's no doubt that potential core players for our franchise are starting to emerge.

Sutter, 27, C

Tanev, 26, D

Markstrom, 26, G

Rodin, 25, LW

Gudbranson, 24, D

Baertschi, 23, LW

Hutton, 23, D

Tryamkin, 21, D

Horvat, 21, C

Demko, 20, G

Virtanen, 19, RW

Boeser, 19, RW

Juolevi, 18, D

Obviously not all of these players will be part of the core. Some will be traded, or lost to FA, or maybe just won't pan out.

However, Benning and Gillis have assembled a group of young guys that look to have a chance to become the future core of the Franchise. This sort of resembles what we had under Burke/Nonis. They assembled most of the core for our 2011 cup run as well. Not saying Benning will be fired before we become a contender, but it took a few GMs to assemble our last competitive team and it may require a few this time as well.

There are some solid parts in that list.  And I say 3-4 years to go until we know what we have in most of those listed.  But for now, flame away, I don't see elite in that list.  And when I think cup, I think elite.

elite players just won the cup: Crosby, Malkin, letang, and say what you want about Phyllis, but he had a great post season:sick:

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Some solid discussion in here.

I too think we start stocking picks for the 17/18 draft.

Just seems that we've reached that point of turnover where we are aged gets young vets and prospects at a good ratio of one to one to one 

It's taken a mere two years, but yes, we're now seeing the "rebuild-on-the-fly" take shape.  If we had done the so-called "proper rebuild" we'd have perhaps the same Sedins, Hansen, and Tanev, but a load of AHL-calibre players on the roster, some more prospects in junior, and be looking ahead to at least 3-4 more years of gruesome hockey.

I think it's pretty clear JB will try to sign Eriksson, as they've been very open about getting a 20-30 goal winger.  If Higgins is bought out they should have enough to get Brouwer, if they're interested in him.  The caveat is that it probably keeps Gaunce out of the lineup and pushes Virtanen to Utica, and Boeser will also be coming in next year.  Not a bad problem to have that much depth, but at some point space needs to be made.  On D, I think Sbisa is likely the next to go, although probably not until at least the TDL now that it looks like Hammer won't be back.  We could also keep him as expansion draft bait, as we'll likely have to expose Gaunce, Granlund, and Etem.

But back to the original topic, yes, I think they're about "done" aside from any upgrade deals that might come along.  There aren't many 30+ vets on the team anymore (by camp, probably only Sedins and Burrows over 30, in fact), and they don't want to get TOO young too fast.

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

There are some solid parts in that list.  And I say 3-4 years to go until we know what we have in most of those listed.  But for now, flame away, I don't see elite in that list.  And when I think cup, I think elite.

elite players just won the cup: Crosby, Malkin, letang, and say what you want about Phyllis, but he had a great post season:sick:

This is 100% true.

Great topic WH.  Not to many snivellers posting here.

I would like to believe that the gap has been bridged and that we will start shedding some excess baggage in 2 for one type trades.

I think that it's unrealistic to think that we could trade any of the older players, but over the next year or two we might see Edler, Pedan, Sbisa, Kenins, Grenier etc packaged in multi player deals.

I have mixed emotions about trading 2nd rounders for guys who might only be short term fixes. I'm hoping that this will no longer be considered necessary. I'm hopeful that the real heavy lifting for a true rebuild is now underway.

Time will tell.

12 hours ago, stawns said:

Surely you can see the job jb has done to make sure there is a core for the next 10 years?

I can and I tend to agree that he's done a pretty good job. I just think we could be further along that road and would be, if we hadn't signed Miller and Vrbata in that first year and had gone with the full rebuild then, rather than the "retool" in an attempt to make the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I can and I tend to agree that he's done a pretty good job. I just think we could be further along that road and would be, if we hadn't signed Miller and Vrbata in that first year and had gone with the full rebuild then, rather than the "retool" in an attempt to make the playoffs.

How many brand new gms are going to begin their job by tanking?

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

Really not much point in pursuing it. We've been down this road before and no-one manages to convince anyone else that they're wrong.

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

So, is that why our owner hired back to back rookie GMs?  B). 1040's guest host (forgot his name) was just talking about our owner.

It may be time to do what I consider the unthinkable now. Bundle up Edler.an or Tanev + our first pick next year for a young legitimate scoring forward or star to move forward an upwards . Seems the patch job error has come to an end .

one scoring forward an a young prospect with not Elc an can pass expansion draft would be what I would look out for now.

otherwise it is grin an bare the storms coming our way over next few seasons.

We are not at all a competitive team yet.  As others have mentioned, we look solid in goal and the blueline.  I would think a #1 defenseman would be a good addition, but we have enough talent with the addition of Juolevi and Stecher that acquiring such a player is not as much a need now as it was before.  In 2-3 years time, our D should be very good, with a nice mix of physical, defensive, and offensive players.

We have an excellent compliment of bottom 6 players, and perhaps could even say our bottom 9 isn't too bad.  Where we completely fail is high end talent; talent that is going to get us points.  Yes, we have the Sedins, but at their age it looks like they are having difficulty being our main source of scoring for an entire season.  (Can't blame them).  They really should be 2nd line players, and we need a couple of high end guys to play 1st line minutes to help distribute the scoring duties.  But then, that is what Benning and co. want to do in the next few days.  If we get a scoring winger like Eriksson, it will go a long ways to making us competitive.  With the salary we'd have to pay him, I'm not sure we have room for anything more than a complimentary player like Ladd or Brower.  But even one of those guys would help as well.

If we pick up players as mentioned in the above paragraph, I absolutely see us making the playoffs. I don't think we are quite there in scoring potential, but that's still a pretty quick "rebuild".  I don't think such a team could realistically contend for the cup, but in a couple of years when we have our young guys reaching their potential and perhaps another UFA addition along the way, we could very well be at the point where we could contend again.

23 hours ago, chon derry said:

if they pick up 1 or 2 fa's where does this leave gaunce,griener, kennins  these guys have to be getting sick of the comets by now ?  all 3 being very close to nhl ready.

I feel we have plenty of players around a similar level ie. 3rd/4th liners. Few offer any serious scoring punch so they likely won`t return much via trade either. It sure would have been nice to grab Dubois but we got a good D.

Archived