The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Have we bridged the gap?

Warhippy

6 minutes ago, groovy said:

I feel we have plenty of players around a similar level ie. 3rd/4th liners. Few offer any serious scoring punch so they likely won`t return much via trade either. It sure would have been nice to grab Dubois but we got a good D.

i agree about there level, but what my point was ,maybe throwing one of them into a deal ,instead of it always being a pick. being that much further ahead of a pick ,and presumably further away from a position on the nux roster anyway.

23 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Most of the VOCAL fan base are in favour of a rebuild (ie on message boards) the vocal fan base is indeed the minority group of fans however

I think the Aqua group is more concerned with the fans/corporations that but butt cheeks in seats than the die hard fans that may not have the cash flow to attend multiple games per year

25 minutes ago, chon derry said:

i agree about there level, but what my point was ,maybe throwing one of them into a deal ,instead of it always being a pick. being that much further ahead of a pick ,and presumably further away from a position on the nux roster anyway.

Why would teams want guys like that over a pick they get to make and develop?

Jim and Trevor have a vision for this team and we can see it taking shape.  One thing that has escaped some posters here is why we went out got "Foundational players". Sutter, Miller and Gudbranson are those players.  Miller allows use to groom his replacement, Markstrom and by the end of this year, Demko.  With that patient 3 year plan coming together, I think we can see what Jim means by foundational player.  

Is Miller going to take us to the promised land?  No, but Markstrom or Demko might.  Miller is the foundation on which we built up our goaltending from the wake of Gillis's departure.  Mentoring matters, just ask the Oilers.  

Sutter (when healthy) gives Horvat some sheltering and is an example of how to approach games, so is Henrik.  Gudbranson, Tanev and Edler are the guys that will support the emergence of Trymakin, Hutton and Juolevi.  

Horvat is crucial to this team's future.  He may be better for our team, than Monahan is for the Flames, in the coming few years.  His play and leadership will allow guys like Baer and Rodin, those skilled guys that get all the attention, do their thing.  

Sorry, rambling... Back to the OP, one more year of bridging the gap.  When guys like Boeser, Virtanen and Juolevi are able play for the club, then we are thru the retooling phase.  Almost, this FA and offseason will have a few bridge forwards, Eriksson, maybe and I would consider Hansen and  Burrows in that category.  

I would love to make a sizeable move on the trade front for either an offensive Center prospect (Buffalo has a few and needs D, target Grigs? ) Horvat is our future number 1 but getting a guy who can make use of the favourable minutes that Horvat can free up would be awesome.  Either that or a number one D, can't have too many.  

I would take a run at Jones.  If CBJ gets wind of a pending offer sheet, they may be open for a very short window for a trade.  I would give up Tanev and our 1st next year, maybe our second and third to get Jones.  It's a better deal than an offer sheet and it does give CBJ a player that can help them now.  We can also take back some salary, like Hartnell.  We can sign Jones easily.  

Either of those moves  

On 6/26/2016 at 10:06 AM, falcon45ca said:

The gap is a fallacy. 

Teams are not built on draft picks alone. Having a glut of promising prospects is no guarantee of success. Just ask Edmonton, or Colorado, or the numerous other teams who've not found what they need through prospect promise.

Winning teams are built with players who buy into a system, support each other, & sacrifice for the greater good. Nobody wins a Stanley in the NHL without blood, sweat, & more blood.

Some of those players will be drafted, others will be traded for, signed as UFA's, etc.

What's important is not how the player is acquired, but what player is acquired.

I like how posts like these are drowned by an avalanche of meaningless statistics, useless talks about specific names of players we don't know how they will pan out and about which picks at what position, what-ifs, etc, etc.

This is simply how a good team gets built. Fans keep going from one extreme of going all out prospects and all out UFAs for stanley cups. You need good prospect picks, good development, good free agents, and get them to execute better as a team than the 29 (and soon 30) other teams.

Good post Forsy.  Takes a balanced approach, would have to add cap management to that list though.  

By far the most important arm is definitely draft and development.  Without this working, trades an FA are just a finger in the dam and things fall apart in a resounding flood (see playbook: Gillis).  It is the poor sod that comes in to try to fix this that has the hard job, and that is what Benning has done a good job of fixing.  

This being said the trades and free agents have not exactly been Benning's greatest success.  Signings at cap friendly deals have also not been really a strength (though not as bad as often suggested).

The drafting and development is improving and that will help fix a lot of small errors, hopefully Benning and Linden pull up the rest of their game to the elite level.

I agree with most of the above. We have taken great steps to improve the D. 

I would say we should not write off the Sedins yet.

I see their careers extended to 40+ if we actually split them on the top 2 lines and ration their minutes. At the end of the day they are still and imo will remain 2 of the best playmakers in the league.

Good post OP.

I'm not sure if we're quite there yet. Demko/Markstrom will solidify our goaltending for years, so no questions in net. The D is a little tricky. As it stands now, we're looking at a future D core like this:

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-???

Our top 5 look LETHAL if Hutton, Tryamkin, and Juolevi can all hit their full potential. That is a big if though. We have Stetcher, Briesbros, Pedan, Larsen, and Subban in the system. These guys are all long shots, but if even 1 hits their potential, we have a scary good D core. Our D hinges on the players do right now. 

The forwards are where it really gets tricky though. Our group in 2 years after the Twins contracts are up looks like this:

????-????-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Etem?-Sutter-Rodin?

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

As you can see, there are serious holes there. I don't see Grenier making the NHL. Rodin and Etem are both big question marks right now... We don't really know what we've got in either of them. Gaunce is gonna cap at a solid 3rd line checker I think, which I'm totally okay with. I'm high on Gaunce, he could be a Malhotra type player. Horvat I see being an elite 2C, which we do need badly. Baertschi has first line potential there, but I see him being an elite 2LW, which I'm alright with. Boeser's ceiling is definitely 1RW, but there are two HUGE gaps, 1LW, and 1C. We don't have those in our system. So I don't think Benning will be done until we have our Sedin replacements in the pipeline.

47 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Good post OP.

I'm not sure if we're quite there yet. Demko/Markstrom will solidify our goaltending for years, so no questions in net. The D is a little tricky. As it stands now, we're looking at a future D core like this:

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-???

Our top 5 look LETHAL if Hutton, Tryamkin, and Juolevi can all hit their full potential. That is a big if though. We have Stetcher, Briesbros, Pedan, Larsen, and Subban in the system. These guys are all long shots, but if even 1 hits their potential, we have a scary good D core. Our D hinges on the players do right now. 

The forwards are where it really gets tricky though. Our group in 2 years after the Twins contracts are up looks like this:

????-????-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Etem?-Sutter-Rodin?

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

As you can see, there are serious holes there. I don't see Grenier making the NHL. Rodin and Etem are both big question marks right now... We don't really know what we've got in either of them. Gaunce is gonna cap at a solid 3rd line checker I think, which I'm totally okay with. I'm high on Gaunce, he could be a Malhotra type player. Horvat I see being an elite 2C, which we do need badly. Baertschi has first line potential there, but I see him being an elite 2LW, which I'm alright with. Boeser's ceiling is definitely 1RW, but there are two HUGE gaps, 1LW, and 1C. We don't have those in our system. So I don't think Benning will be done until we have our Sedin replacements in the pipeline.

Exactly. As I mentioned in another thread on Sunday morning, we have to use stop gap measures (bridge) 'til youth can takeover at forward. Hence hopefully signing scoring FA's to 3-5 yeat deals rather than 6-7 year deals.

Git 'er done JB!

Archived