The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Food for thought? 

If 2017 redraft is done does Lockwood make it out of the 1rst round? Maybe high second I would guess. 

Way too early for that. 

There's college players taken late in the first like Tage Thompson and Trent Frederic that are putting up a point a game or higher.

Maybe he moves into the mid second round, but again too early to be making any sort of hindsight guesses like that.

• Upvote 1

Tied with Jost with 10 points in 9 GP.

And 3 of Lockwood's 6 goals are game winners.

Agree with @DeNiro that it's too early to say Lockwood was worthy of a 1st. Maybe a 2nd.

But if he keeps his pace over the rest of this season, then it'd probably be fair to call him a first round level talent.

Certainly looking like a great pick at #64 however (and probably has done enough already to guarantee that he will never be referred to as "a reach" ever again).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Kids looking like a stud so far. Early on for sure, but Benning sure knows what he's doing in the drafting department. His speed and hands get me very excited. 

No kidding. I loved the pick right away just because of the kids speed, tenacity and compete level. Now he's showing he's got skill and can be an offensive force! Could be a homerun for 3rd round pick.

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Maybe we can give him the knick name Loki cause he's so slippery with the puck

Haha oh I like it. 

7 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

No kidding. I loved the pick right away just because of the kids speed, tenacity and compete level. Now he's showing he's got skill and can be an offensive force! Could be a homerun for 3rd round pick.

Ya man for sure, hard not to be excited about the pick! 

What do you guys think are his chances for the WJC this year? More likely next? I'm in Europe so I haven't been able to follow as much as I'd like

1 hour ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Haha oh I like it. 

What do you guys think are his chances for the WJC this year? More likely next? I'm in Europe so I haven't been able to follow as much as I'd like

I'm not familiar enough the the selection process to know how guys are selected so I have no idea. I imagine if he keeps up this pace of scoring he couldn't possibly not be considered, especially because with his speed and tenacity he would fit will into a bottom 6 role on the team well. This is all assumptions though, someone more informed about the American WJC squad and selection process couls prob give you a better answer.

22 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Haha oh I like it. 

He was at the Team USA camp this summer. Did not see enough tape to make a comment on how well he did. Did hear that he is well though of.

• Upvote 1

On 2016-11-13 at 3:37 PM, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

worked his way on to Michigan’s top line under legendary head coach Red Berenson, who’s clearly seen enough from his rookie recruit to trust him in all situations.

I think this is possibly the most impressive thing about Lockwood's start to the season. It's exceedingly rare in college hockey for a freshman player to get first line opportunities and play in all situations (5v5, PP, PK). For Berenson to see enough in Lockwood to trust him in such a role is a very positive sign. And, of course, the scoring numbers Lockwood is posting don't hurt. ;) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

When we see prospects like him and Gaudette doing well it's no wonder some of us facepalm when we see Benning throw in 2nd/3rd rounders to get a deal done.  Stop making lateral trades and use these picks to draft more players like Lockwood/Gaudette/Hutton/Tryankim.  That's the only way to build a winner.

My feelings exactly. We want Benning to use his area of comparative advantage instead of playing to his weakness where more experienced GMs have the edge -- as in trades for veteran players, cap management, asset management, re-signing players,  etc. Benning's job should be to acquire draft picks (but only at reasonable cost) and made good draft choices.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

When we see prospects like him and Gaudette doing well it's no wonder some of us facepalm when we see Benning throw in 2nd/3rd rounders to get a deal done.  Stop making lateral trades and use these picks to draft more players like Lockwood/Gaudette/Hutton/Tryankim.  That's the only way to build a winner.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

My feelings exactly. We want Benning to use his area of comparative advantage instead of playing to his weakness where more experienced GMs have the edge -- as in trades for veteran players, cap management, asset management, re-signing players,  etc. Benning's job should be to acquire draft picks (but only at reasonable cost) and made good draft choices.

myopic--300x224.jpg

• Upvote 2