The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

To burn a year off the ELC you simply have to sign a contract in the current year (assuming the player is too old for the ELC to slide).  To burn off a year of waiver exemption the player has to play at least one NHL game.

I bow to your superior contract understanding. :towel:

i still think Lockwood will sign with us next spring.  He will be playing in Utica in October 2020. 

Lind

Gadjovic

Woo

Jasek

Lockwood

Dipietro

The depth of young guys in Utica will be looking pretty good soon.  :)

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2019 at 11:05 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

It looks to be improving at both wing and defence but they really need to sign some decent AHL calibre centers to fill a gaping hole in that position.

That is a major problem, though Gaunce and McEwan can (or have) both played centre.

On 4/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, Alflives said:

I bow to your superior contract understanding. :towel:

i still think Lockwood will sign with us next spring.  He will be playing in Utica in October 2020. 

Lind

Gadjovic

Woo

Jasek

Lockwood

Dipietro

The depth of young guys in Utica will be looking pretty good soon.  :)

I think there’s a good chance he’ll be in Vancouver instead. Or at least for a few games at the end of next season.

Might seem biased on my part, but I think big time college players signed at the end of their fourth years generally play in the NHL pretty quickly.

Edited by Grape

53 minutes ago, Grape said:

I think there’s a good chance he’ll be in Vancouver instead. Or at least for a few games at the end of next season.

Might seem biased on my part, but I think big time college players signed at the end of their fourth years generally play in the NHL pretty quickly.

Sorry, did you mean 'big-time' or 'big-10'....^_^

• Haha 1

It looks to be improving at both wing and defence but they really need to sign some decent AHL calibre centers to fill a gaping hole in that position.

That’s for sure.  Our biggest issue in Utica is a shortage of centre prospects.  

19 hours ago, Grape said:

Totally agree.  When his season is over at Michigan, he will come play a few games with us.  Then, I think, he's in Utica the following season.  

I imagine they intended to have Gaudette down there for more of this past season...but injuries...

As for next year, they've got all summer to fill some depth there, including potentially, trades.

• Cheers 1

On 4/13/2019 at 4:04 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seems that Lockwood talked it over with the people around him, decided on going back for a senior year, and hopes to sign with Vancouver at the end of 2019-20.

Posted again so folks can see that Will's still wanting to come to Vancouver next year.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Why would he leave the development program he's already in...?

Well ... let's think about this. He could go to the Pros in a professional organization who can provide him with everything he needs ( or so the theory goes )  and get paid for to boot or he could return to his college where he still needs to attend the lectures and keep his GPA at an expected level where his parent still has to subsidize his life. Ummm what to do.  What does he do, he speaks to his parents and his advisor and the decision is ..... stay away from Utica and entrust your future to the college development and I think he got it right. Why would a prospect even consider Utica  ... maybe a goalie would they get individual coaching. Agents monitor AHL teams and roster spots, it's part of their gig

59 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well ... let's think about this. He could go to the Pros in a professional organization who can provide him with everything he needs ( or so the theory goes )  and get paid for to boot or he could return to his college where he still needs to attend the lectures and keep his GPA at an expected level where his parent still has to subsidize his life. Ummm what to do.  What does he do, he speaks to his parents and his advisor and the decision is ..... stay away from Utica and entrust your future to the college development and I think he got it right. Why would a prospect even consider Utica  ... maybe a goalie would they get individual coaching. Agents monitor AHL teams and roster spots, it's part of their gig

That's a whole lot of editorialization.

You're also missing the free education part. Never mind that he's already spent three years in the program and his main weakness (strength) is probably better served in the comparatively easy college schedule.

But keep on keep'n on with the myopic narrative....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Also the part where being a well-known student athlete doesn't hurt around campus if you all know what i mean.

He made the right decision for Will Lockwood! The degree will help post NHL career, and he's going to continue to learn about leadership as the captain! Hopefully we see him in a Canucks uniform for a couple of games at the end of next season, and if we squeak into the playoffs he'll get that experience as well. 

16 hours ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

Also the part where being a well-known student athlete doesn't hurt around campus if you all know what i mean.

Sunshine this is business, not a grade a 12 popularity contest. This is his career, a limited career opportunity. Lockwood in his interview on 650 tells us this is about my future as a hockey player. His academic courses are mostly fillers. He believes his future as a hockey pro is best served in the NCAA league and coaching rather than Utica

• Wat 1

On 4/18/2019 at 6:34 PM, higgyfan said:

Posted again so folks can see that Will's still wanting to come to Vancouver next year.

Thanks Higgy... I don’t think it can be said any clearer...

What tomorrow brings nobody knows but for now I would start worrying. 

Que Sera Sera

Whatever Will be, Will Lockwood be...

Edited by spook007