Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

People seem to forget Lockwood had a great college career and made the US Junior team

 

this guy has talent. Went through an injury and fell under the radar 

 

the kid will be a key part of our future 

I see him as tyler motte 2.0, which isn't a knock. useful roleplayer. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tas said:

I see him as tyler motte 2.0, which isn't a knock. useful roleplayer. 

He does play a very similar game to how Motte plays.

 

Bottom 6 are every bit as important to the success of any team and seldom given credit  by the fans for helping their team win games.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He does play a very similar game to how Motte plays.

 

Bottom 6 are every bit as important to the success of any team and seldom given credit  by the fans for helping their team win games.

yep -- an engine that runs real hot and a guy who can play like a buzz saw in pretty much any forward position. teams rely on these guys to generate momentum and wear teams down. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He does play a very similar game to how Motte plays.

 

Bottom 6 are every bit as important to the success of any team and seldom given credit  by the fans for helping their team win games.

He played a physical game in college. Was being injured and had to be coached to tone it down a bit. Didn’t see a lot of his games but was a solid possession guy.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try to find the footage with that shift where he had 3 hits, but meanwhile, here is his best chance late in the 3rd

 

 

Edited by Googlie
Don't know why my capture app is causing stuttering
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Lockwood was very good tonight, he is a really well coached defensive player who pressures hard on the forecheck. Like Motte, he is pretty much always in motion and making contact. He and Jasek made a strong PK pairing tonight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lockwood was very good tonight, he is a really well coached defensive player who pressures hard on the forecheck. Like Motte, he is pretty much always in motion and making contact. He and Jasek made a strong PK pairing tonight.

 

do you think he is a better iq player than Jake Virtanen? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

 

do you think he is a better iq player than Jake Virtanen? 

Jake is not a hi IQ player, Lockwood is - that does not mean that Jake cannot be a valuable player - he did, after all have18g 18 a in a shortened season. Jake can bring something that Lockwood will never be able to bring, a massive physique. But what Jake needs to learn is that that physique is only a value with the head and the heart attached. If Jake had Lockwood’s character and smarts he could be one of the best players in the league. When a guy has Jake’s size and skating, all he needs to do is being in focus when he works out, when he practices, and for the length of a game - that is not a lot to ask of a guy making a couple of million per.

 

That said, the NHL has a history of players who only need a different coach, and looking at the way this team is playing, this might be the situation here. Jake is not the only player in this lineup who is not getting the most out of himself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 6:21 AM, canuck2288 said:

People seem to forget Lockwood had a great college career and made the US Junior team

 

this guy has talent. Went through an injury and fell under the radar 

 

the kid will be a key part of our future 

I see him as a fourth line energy guy, penalty killer. He’s a very good fore checker, not big, but constantly harassing the other team. He’s been very well coached in college, defends well, good on the PK. He has scored in college before he got hurt, have to see if he can regain that as a pro. It’s real early, lots of time for him to develop. Rafferty found another level last year as a 24 year old, so why not this kid?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I see him as a fourth line energy guy, penalty killer. He’s a very good fore checker, not big, but constantly harassing the other team. He’s been very well coached in college, defends well, good on the PK. He has scored in college before he got hurt, have to see if he can regain that as a pro. It’s real early, lots of time for him to develop. Rafferty found another level last year as a 24 year old, so why not this kid?

Seems like an energy player and they're hard to find. For instance look at Hoglander rather than say basically the rest of the winger ( except Motte) his reaction time is is off the board. I don't believe it's a skill you can teach, it's like hockey's version of ADHD It's a fortunate team to find players like that along with hockey sense. So as long as he has the requisite hockey skill, which by all accounts he does, then he'll play in the NHL not sure if it'll be Vcr but certainly in the league

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Seems like an energy player and they're hard to find. For instance look at Hoglander rather than say basically the rest of the winger ( except Motte) his reaction time is is off the board. I don't believe it's a skill you can teach, it's like hockey's version of ADHD It's a fortunate team to find players like that along with hockey sense. So as long as he has the requisite hockey skill, which by all accounts he does, then he'll play in the NHL not sure if it'll be Vcr but certainly in the league

When you see a lot of guys trying to make a quick change in direction, they have to gather themselves, adjusting their balance to accommodate a change in direction. If you’ve seen Hoglander’s workout video, it is all about core strength, and when you see him juggle while riding a unicycle it is all about quick, fine balance adjustments. I can’t watch his workouts and conclude that it does not have an affect on his quickness, balance and ability to gain leverage - so yes, there is something you are born with, but then there is all the stuff that you do.

 

My brother is an amazing guitar player, and I’ve heard people tell my brother that he has a ‘gift’, and I can see that they mean it as a complement, but that skill grew out of hours of daily practice over a lifetime, going to the Guitar Institute of Technology, learning from session players like Tommie Tedesco, and it’s not just practice, but focused practice, each exercise focused on learning a particular skill, And I see that same devotion to improvement in guys like Hoglander.

 

I’ve coached kids at hockey and soccer, and I stressed even when doing something simple like taking a shot on goal, that shouldn’t just float up and fire something generally at the net, but to attempt to choose and hit an exact spot, and adjust that spot and attempt to be exact. Same philosophy as using a weapon, ‘Aim small, miss small’. You teach yourself to be precise - it’s not enough to just shoot, but to shoot at something in particular.
 

But back to the point, yes, he is an energy player, but he seems to be a very focused one.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All good point, sounds trite but practice make perfect. However as with most skills there are some things that are part of the personality or belief from an early age how they see the game, they see the game different, D'men verus forwards is a classic example, they view the game through a different lens. Hoglander didn't IMO create his mind set his style  but doubtly strength his ability to make the most of his game. Some get mixed up with speed and quickness  and agility, part of that is mental. I would have guessed you had coached before, like myself hockey and soccer. It makes you break down the game. Personally distracts from just enjoying the game. You're for ever looking for flaws and advantages :)

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...