The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He is not stocky like Motte, but probably faster - just as intense, though. Because they both play a similar style, they both seem to be prone to injury - if you are constantly making contact with bigger guys and blocking shots, that is the natural consequence. If you value players in that role, it is wise to back them up. If Motte is a third or fourth liner, then having a Lockwood as a four or five is not a bad idea.

Yeah, it's a pretty tough/thankless role :lol:

But I love these guys. As you say, every team needs a few (redundancy for injuries) of these high motor/spark plug types. I'm happy to see Benning has an affinity for them as well going back to Dorsett.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, it's a pretty tough/thankless role :lol:

But I love these guys. As you say, every team a few (redundancy for injuries) of these high motor/spark plug types. I'm happy to see Benning has an affinity for them as well going back to Dorsett.

I love those kinds of guys and they often become crowd favorites, if they can combine that energy with durability and the ability to finish you get the second coming of Stan Smyl - man would I love to have another one of him! Nice assist for Lockwood on the first goal today. No flies on this kid, he has very good hockey sense - smart player - he has that in common with Motte as well as the same kind of grit.

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Will's a tough kid. Solid hit and then wins the fight afterwards.  Fight seem more passionate in the AHL.  None of that 'huggy dance'.

I don’t know if he won the fight, but agree that Will seemed to be getting the better of the exchange of punches, until Lauko decided to go for the takedown. Probably more of a draw, on my scorecard.

Regardless, it’s nice to see Lockwood willing to drop the gloves in the pro ranks, and definitely holding his own in a spirited scrap.

I just noticed that Will is listed at 185lbs on the AHL pages, which is probably a more accurate and recent measurement than the 172lbs he’s listed elsewhere. He’s always been strong for his size, but now appears to have added some more muscle to his 5’11” frame, which should serve him well, especially given his style of play.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Those are just 2 young prospects trying to make an impression. Lockwood with the hit, showing intensity and Lauko with the scrap to show honor for his teammates. The AHL is basically full of young players now, teams maybe carry 2-3 veteran tough guys incase they are required. I guess that's better for the skill/speed of the game.

Got to see him for the first time tonight and Lockwood is an exciting prospect. Lots of jump in his skating and good skill. Scored his first pro goal and it was a beauty. Real energy guy he will be in the league one day. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Got to see him for the first time tonight and Lockwood is an exciting prospect. Lots of jump in his skating and good skill. Scored his first pro goal and it was a beauty. Real energy guy he will be in the league one day. 

Love this kid. Speed, energy, defensive awareness, and maybe some scoring skill. If he turns into the second coming of Michael Grabner or  Burrows,  it would be sweet indeed.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

3 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Thanks for the report, feel free to give us more updates on the Utica Comets.  Most of us don't have access to much more then a highlight here 'n' there. 

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Thanks for the report, feel free to give us more updates on the Utica Comets.  Most of us don't have access to much more then a highlight here 'n' there. 

It has been interesting because several AHL teams opted not to play at all and with the shortened season and combining with St. Louis the guys playing are legitimate prospects. So as much as I enjoyed seeing Wacey Hamilton and Reid Boucher play in the AHL, this year they are really leaning on prospects. Sven Baertschi is also a favorite of mine and Sam Anas, who led the league in scoring last year and is great to watch, did not play last night and it was prospects on the ice.  If Travis Green watches any of the Comets games he might take an interest in Jonah Gadjovich who has been useful this year. Playing a heavy game. 

Don't know if it is still the case, but at the season stoppage a year ago I remember Cull saying he and Travis talked on a nightly basis. Discussed players, systems, zone entries, PP and PK strategies etc.  Wanted to make sure that the prospects were developing "in the right way"

I am guessing that TG is fully aware of what Gadjovich is doing this season

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, hobart16 said:

It has been interesting because several AHL teams opted not to play at all and with the shortened season and combining with St. Louis the guys playing are legitimate prospects. So as much as I enjoyed seeing Wacey Hamilton and Reid Boucher play in the AHL, this year they are really leaning on prospects. Sven Baertschi is also a favorite of mine and Sam Anas, who led the league in scoring last year and is great to watch, did not play last night and it was prospects on the ice.  If Travis Green watches any of the Comets games he might take an interest in Jonah Gadjovich who has been useful this year. Playing a heavy game. 

Sorry to ask about Jasek in this thread....  but have you noticed him out there? I guess I could also ask his agen @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME, but I figured I already got you on the line here @hobart16 :)