The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I remember his 5 game stint with the Canucks, and I thought this is going to be a player. I've never been so disappointed in a young kid so quickly. So much hype. 

Moe was fast, he could shoot, he just couldn’t think at an nhl pace. I believe Lockwood has an nhl destiny.

27 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I remember his 5 game stint with the Canucks, and I thought this is going to be a player. I've never been so disappointed in a young kid so quickly. So much hype. 

I always thought Danny Johnson had been the fastest Canucks player until Lemay came along and subsequently Bure. I share your disappointment in Lemay as I really thought he was going to be a star after his 21 goal season. I have always thought that Tom Watt was a horrible coach that would not give ice time to kids like Lemay, Neely, Daigneault, Sandlak and Lowry. Lemay had been developing quite well until Watt's arrival and I remember placing blame on him for Lemay's decline. Probably had nothing to do with it but that's the way I remember it...LOL.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, zimmy said:

Good lord, were we excited when he came out of juniors to play his 5 game stint. Everything he did was at warp speed. I didn’t see that type energy again until Bure showed up.

There was another Canuck that Lockwood reminds me a lot of: Mike Peca... even though Peca was a centre, their games are very similar. If Lockwood could carve out a career like Peca he would be a major asset - superb defensive player who could put up points in his prime.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There was another Canuck that Lockwood reminds me a lot of: Mike Peca... even though Peca was a centre, their games are very similar. If Lockwood could carve out a career like Peca he would be a major asset - superb defensive player who could put up points in his prime.

Good comp. I thought Peca had killed Selanne with this hit. He would get a 20 game suspension for that hit today.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He got the Canucks Mogilny, but, Peca was one of the best until his knees and concussions ended his career. I had forgotten Lemay scored that many goals. Tom Watt was one of the worst coaches this team ever had. Cam Neely would have been a Canuck legend if not for that man. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Good comp. I thought Peca had killed Selanne with this hit. He would get a 20 game suspension for that hit today.

Yeah, it was a very late predatory blind side hit.  I'm glad that kind of thing's being taken out of the game.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I would take a Peca clone on this team in a heartbeat. A guy who excelled in his given role. No ambiguity or confusion around what was expected of him.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

30 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I would take a Peca clone on this team in a heartbeat. A guy who excelled in his given role. No ambiguity or confusion around what was expected of him.

Peca scored 50 goals in 55 OHL games, and made Team Canada for the WJCs. He was a very skilled young player who embraced a 2-way game, and became a key NHL player for many years.

It would be nice if Lockwood ended up a decent bottom-6 player. But “Peca clone”? That’s not happening, anymore than Gadjovich will become a Bertuzzi clone.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Peca scored 50 goals in 55 OHL games, and made Team Canada for the WJCs. He was a very skilled young player who embraced a 2-way game, and became a key NHL player for many years.

It would be nice if Lockwood ended up a decent bottom-6 player. But “Peca clone”? That’s not happening, anymore than Gadjovich will become a Bertuzzi clone.

Not suggesting Lockwood is a Peca clone at all! Just indicating my desire to have such a player going forward whoever he is or where he comes from.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, zimmy said:

Good lord, were we excited when he came out of juniors to play his 5 game stint. Everything he did was at warp speed. I didn’t see that type energy again until Bure showed up.

Remember everyone thought we actually had a decent 2nd line: Lemay, Hlinka and Rota. Moe fresh off of scoring 60 goals in the OHL, Rota finally showing something and Hlinka was a known international star. Um...oops!

23 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I was thinking the same thing while I watched him in the highlights. Peca was mentally tough and Lockwood strikes me the same way.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lockwood, as I watched his play in Utica, is clearly an NHL player.  I like how he embraces a bottom six, energy, checking role. He will be a fixture on our team for many years.  

Happy to see him getting his chance. I really didn't think he was going to be able to overcome the injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Happy to see him getting his chance. I really didn't think he was going to be able to overcome the injuries.

It was good of the club to support him through his tough times.  Lockwood mentioned on several occasions how much that support made him even want to work harder to play here.  Seems like a real character person.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was good of the club to support him through his tough times.  Lockwood mentioned on several occasions how much that support made him even want to work harder to play here.  Seems like a real character person.  

Loved watching Lockwood’s progress in Utica - he started as a high speed, in your face forecheckef, who was very defensively responsible. Then, as the games went on, he showed more and more skill - of which he has plenty. How good will he be is an open question - at worst he is a fourth liner... and he could be much better than that, but how much only time and play will tell. As a first game, he does not look out of place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Loved watching Lockwood’s progress in Utica - he started as a high speed, in your face forecheckef, who was very defensively responsible. Then, as the games went on, he showed more and more skill - of which he has plenty. How good will he be is an open question - at worst he is a fourth liner... and he could be much better than that, but how much only time and play will tell. As a first game, he does not look out of place.

Our new Honey Badger, in more ways than one.  Faster, better hands, will challenge Motte for most hits.  Just one NHL game, ofc, but a nice body of work in the AHL to go by.