The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, smithers joe said:

how does lockwood compare in playing style to kole lind.? they may be competing for the same spot.

Lockwood can skate circles around Kole Lind.  And he's a much more aggressive player.  Lockwood would be a good fit as an energy guy on the 4th line similar to Motte and Highmore.  Lind I don't think is a fit on the 4th line.  He would have to be a 3rd line guy but Benning is looking for more speed in the top 9 so not sure there is a fit for Lind in a revamped lineup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Will is definitely a contender to make the roster out of training camp this Fall. He's fast, hits, has an offensive edge, and he's going to be 23 when training camp starts. I feel like moving Motte to the third line to play on a line with Podz and whoever our 3C is and then having Highmore  and Lockwood has a speedy, hard hitting 4th line could be really interesting. I've always really liked Lockwood as a prospect and I feel like his skill set is what's needed in the Canucks bottom six.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Will is definitely a contender to make the roster out of training camp this Fall. He's fast, hits, has an offensive edge, and he's going to be 23 when training camp starts. I feel like moving Motte to the third line to play on a line with Podz and whoever our 3C is and then having Highmore  and Lockwood has a speedy, hard hitting 4th line could be really interesting. I've always really liked Lockwood as a prospect and I feel like his skill set is what's needed in the Canucks bottom six.

Someone mentioned at the start of the year that they would like to see 4 Tyler Mottes playing on our bottom two wings (and id be all onboard with that).  

Highmore looks great to me and Lockwood has tracked really well over the last season in AHL/NHL so we might be up to 3 Tyler Mottes pretty soon! 

Let's not forget Bailey in all of this.  He was, after all, the first call up and had displaced Jake in the lineup until his Lucic encounter.  He has size, more than enough speed,  and soft hands for a big guy.   Even in the AHL you don't get three hattricks in 4 games by being a plug.  Has to be resigned, though (and might catch Seattle's eye)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 5/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

if you had to trade one of Lockwood or Lind today, who would you pick? 

Yeah, I see Lockwood as a for sure NHLer because he could contribute on any line from one to four. I only see getting value out of Lind playing in the top six. Taking a middle six job without being a penalty killer is tough - see the trouble Virtanen has getting consistent ice time (set aside for the time being his current troubles) but consider that his difficulties are shared by MacEwen and Bailey (neither of whom kill penalties, either). It’s tough to get ice time in the bottom six if you can’t pk, and see who does get icetime because they can (Beagle, Roussel, and Sutter). If I was one of them sent down to Abby, I’d be begging Cull to let me kill penalties.

Boucher did that and now he is the top scorer on his team in the KHL; but in the playoffs I see that Boucher got 8 goals and 17 points in 21 GP... but 3 of those goals were on the pp and... wait for it, 2 of those playoff goals were short handed. The knock on Boucher is no longer his defensive play largely becausea Cull gave him the opportunity for pk time, and now Boucher is making bank on being a complete player in the KHL. And no jokes about Boucher looking like Alfred E. Newman... cuz the laugh is on anyone saying he’d never be a complete player.

Lockwood starts his first year in Utica as a forward recognized by Cull as defensively responsible, able to check the best forwards among opponents and as a walk-on to the pk unit. The issue for Lockwood (based on his history) is that the robust game he plays can get him hurt - see Motte - but so far, so good in Utica - I only rarely saw him vulnerable in Utica - he is being very smart about his positioning and leverage when he is taking or giving a hit.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/29/2021 at 12:07 PM, Alflives said:

Lind was playing centre in Utica.  He is at his best when he’s being a rat with skill.  I’d like to see both these guys (Lind and Lockwood) on our team next season.  I think Lockwood will be, because of his skating and aggressive nature.  Lind, I think is still maturing his game.  He needs to be more active.  

Can’t disagree with your estimate of either player. Lind still has a long way to go as a centre, but another year in Abby as a part time call up to Van as a winger would be a positive step in his development. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, I see Lockwood as a for sure NHLer because he could contribute on any line from one to four.

this is a really good point, the guys that make the team going forward are all going to have be able to play up and down the line-up and be effective. The top 6 is getting pretty full. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is a really good point, the guys that make the team going forward are all going to have be able to play up and down the line-up and be effective. The top 6 is getting pretty full. 

It is if we think Miller (or Pettersson) is a winger. But if we think all of Pettersson, Horvat and Miller are centres, and we have Boeser, Pearson, Hoglander, and Podkolzin to spread over them, mixing them with some young puck rustlers like Gadjovich or Lockwood could be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I REALLY like Lockwood, but I think next year in the NHL might be too soon for him.  Hes a slight guy, and even the AHL is a pro league, hed probably do well to grind it out for a season there and just continue to physically mature.  

I agree. One more year in the A/as a call up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I couldn't be more happy for Lockwood. In all honesty, I started to write him off when he got that shoulder injury.

Yea it was pretty quiet about Lockwood after the shoulder injury. I was feeling the same way, I was looking forward to the hype about Lockwood and then he had his second big shoulder injury in 2 years... just kinda seemed like it was never going to get better for him.

Im so relieved that he has managed to put himself back in the conversation of a potential NHLer for us.

• Cheers 1

Looking forward to a future of:

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin

Motte 3C Hoglander

Gadjovich Lind Lockwood

Hughes     Hamonic

Joulevi      Schmidt

Rathbone  Woo 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 9:07 AM, Googlie said:

Let's not forget Bailey in all of this.  He was, after all, the first call up and had displaced Jake in the lineup until his Lucic encounter.  He has size, more than enough speed,  and soft hands for a big guy.   Even in the AHL you don't get three hattricks in 4 games by being a plug.  Has to be resigned, though (and might catch Seattle's eye)

I really like Bailey in his few showings with the big club. That guy can sure fly on the ice. Tell you what I'd actually rather see him get a chance than McEwen. Ever since the playoff bubble, McEwen's play has been underwhelming. Looks like hes just warm body to fill in a lineup

• Cheers 1