The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Was this kid at training camp or the prospects tourney? Did he look good?

The college players are already getting their camps and season underway when all the prospect and training camps for the NHL start. That's why we hadn't seen Demko until this year, and Boeser hasn't been attending.

He was at the development camp in the summer though, he just had to pay his own way.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

You don't understand my frustration. Benning consistently hits home runs in the draft, yet he trades all of 2nds and 3rds for players he could easily draft. He is amazing at drafting so why not manufacture more draft picks rather then players that make your hockey team boring. 

Those players didn't make the team boring. They're some of the few things keeping it from being even worse. They'll also still be around supporting the next core. 

Don't worry, more drafting is coming. 

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Benning came in with a plan to fill the void we had with no younger players on the team between 20 - 24 years old. His sole option was to acquire these players through trades and some of these trades involved draft picks through necessity. He has now completed that task while still providing this team with their best prospect pool ever IMHO. He is now in a position, or soon will be, where he no longer needs to deal picks and should actually be in a position where he can start acquiring picks and utilize those amazing drafting skills that you speak of.

We need to realize that he has only been on the job for slightly more than 2 seasons. How soon did you expect the team to become a serious contender? We have some real promising prospects on the way in Juolevi, Demko, Boeser, Gaudette and Lockwood.

We just need to let them marinate for another season or two. :P

Thanks for summarizing every reply to every post I have ever made. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Benning came in with a plan to fill the void we had with no younger players on the team between 20 - 24 years old. His sole option was to acquire these players through trades and some of these trades involved draft picks through necessity. He has now completed that task while still providing this team with their best prospect pool ever IMHO. He is now in a position, or soon will be, where he no longer needs to deal picks and should actually be in a position where he can start acquiring picks and utilize those amazing drafting skills that you speak of.

We need to realize that he has only been on the job for slightly more than 2 seasons. How soon did you expect the team to become a serious contender? We have some real promising prospects on the way in Juolevi, Demko, Boeser, Gaudette and Lockwood.

We just need to let them marinate for another season or two. :P

This times 100.  

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If you have a valid point to make, there's no reason to make such fallacious assertions, especially with an underhanded "compliment" as a retort.  You very well know the facts -- Benning has made 20 of 21 possible picks.

Then perhaps this time you will actually read and consider it?  If you actually understood what is being said and what is being done, you wouldn't have to keep making your same tired and debunked points over and over again.  Fine to disagree with the process, but when you flatly dismiss (without rationality) the reasons behind what you complain about you have no grounds to keep doing it other than to annoy people and spam the board.

You've said yourself multiple times you don't have a clue what's happening, but from here it looks more like willful ignorance or maybe tunnel vision because I do not believe you are as unknowledgeable or incapable of comprehension as you pretend to be.

All I see in this post is "I'm starting to get worried LaBamba's (aka hockey's Stephan Hawking's) premonitions are starting to manifest. It's hard to except Doom but impossible to deny. 

Edited by LaBamba

33 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning has made 20 of 21 possible picks.

It would be cool if the draft worked like a raffle. Just throw your name in a box 7 times and randomly draft from where you are picked in the order of the raffle. 

Unfortunately that is not the case, therefore a 2nd round pick has more value than a 7th. So save your thumb or whatever you use to type with and put this homer notion to bed. Lay it next to a person trying to stay awake during a Canuck game.  

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

It would be cool if the draft worked like a raffle. Just throw your name in a box 7 times and randomly draft from where you are picked in the order of the raffle. 

Unfortunately that is not the case, therefore a 2nd round pick has more value than a 7th. So save your thumb or whatever you use to type with and put this homer notion to bed. Lay it next to a person trying to stay awake during a Canuck game.  

Second round picks and any picks should be moved if the risk is removed.  Us using a second for guddy was a low risk move. Guddy was young, a leader and a right handed shot that we had a need for. Traded like that are good moves for a franchise. 

On on the flip side, when rebuilding if you are going to trade a 2nd round pick for a player with high risk (vey, baertschi) you best make sure that those picks value don't go to waste. You have to be extremely confident that those players turn out because if they don't it becomes a missed opportunity to improve your team no different then drafting a bust and watching the next player become a star. 

In vey case, we can look back and determine that was a mistake, especially when we look at the player taken in that same range.. Sven is yet to be seen but I think he was be worth the gamble but we won't know for a few years. 

36 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Second round picks and any picks should be moved if the risk is removed.  Us using a second for guddy was a low risk move. Guddy was young, a leader and a right handed shot that we had a need for. Traded like that are good moves for a franchise. 

On on the flip side, when rebuilding if you are going to trade a 2nd round pick for a player with high risk (vey, baertschi) you best make sure that those picks value don't go to waste. You have to be extremely confident that those players turn out because if they don't it becomes a missed opportunity to improve your team no different then drafting a bust and watching the next player become a star. 

In vey case, we can look back and determine that was a mistake, especially when we look at the player taken in that same range.. Sven is yet to be seen but I think he was be worth the gamble but we won't know for a few years. 

This still doesn't validate the "we are only down 1 pick garbage" but ya I get it. My beef is that we gambled too many times. 

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Don't like them facts, eh.  Lol what a mess of blather.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

This still doesn't validate the "we are only down 1 pick garbage" but ya I get it. My beef is that we gambled too many times. 

If we won those gambles more than we lost, you wouldn't say that tho. 

He didn't do the greatest job with Vey, and Baer is still to be seen, but I think JB had to take those chances. 

We had old players, and rookies.  

Years of bad drafting left a giant void where 23-27 year old players should have been. 

We needed to take the gamble on those picks to get players JB thought could fill that hole.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

If we won those gambles more than we lost, you wouldn't say that tho. 

He didn't do the greatest job with Vey, and Baer is still to be seen, but I think JB had to take those chances. 

We had old players, and rookies.  

Years of bad drafting left a giant void where 23-27 year old players should have been. 

We needed to take the gamble on those picks to get players JB thought could fill that hole.  

Whatever, I don't really care to be honest. I just get annoyed when a guy like @Hutton Wink says we are down one pick. Like all picks are equal or something. Then when I point out how stupid that sounds I'm full of blather. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Whatever, I don't really care to be honest. I just get annoyed when a guy like @Hutton Wink says we are down one pick. Like all picks are equal or something. Then when I point out how stupid that sounds I'm full of blather. 

You ignore or dismiss anything that debunks your narrative.  Case in point again with drummerboy.  I was being gentle.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You ignore or dismiss anything that debunks your narrative.  Case in point again with drummerboy.  I was being gentle.

And you don't? Tell me how all picks are equal?