The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring a kid up into this mess.

If not him why not DI Gusieppe, rather have a guy who can PK over Mr. PTO who can stand in front of the net but not do much else...Poor Personnel choices by the coaching staff since training camp in my opinion.

Would like to see Lockwood and his energy come up put him and Motte out on the PK together!?

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring a kid up into this mess.

Sadly, I agree.

I really wanted Will to make the team out of camp, and I think the Canucks would have been better for it, but now, I want him to stay in Abby until there’s some resolution of the current issues with the NHL club.

Hopefully either the team pulls out of their funk, without making changes (which seems unlikely, but I’m still going to hope it somehow happens), or Lockwood gets the call after there’s a new/interim coach and/or GM.

I think Will has the character to withstand the current negativity around the team, and possibly he’d even give this group a lift, but I’d still prefer not to have him called up during a phase when fans are likely to continue with boos, chants, and jersey tosses.

Bring him up after all this BS is over.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Haven’t had coffee yet and forgot Lockwood had already made his NHL debut last season

7 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If not him why not DI Gusieppe, rather have a guy who can PK over Mr. PTO who can stand in front of the net but not do much else...Poor Personnel choices by the coaching staff since training camp in my opinion.

Would like to see Lockwood and his energy come up put him and Motte out on the PK together!?

I would love to see Lockwood come up, but I want him to have the best odds of success - both for the team and for him. I don’t think hearing boos from the fans will help. I can understand when fans boo players who make repeated bonehead plays, or absolutely mind dead penalties for a team that can’t kill them - but that is not where I believe that the current boos are directed. I believe they are primarily directed at short-sighted, over-controlling ownership, poor management and coaching. 

Team construction and makeup in problematic - apparently, we are a skill team... that the coach likes to have dump and chase, but with forwards mostly not capable of recovering dump ins. When our talented players are assaulted on the ice and referees that obviously see it but don’t call it, we have no response. We have only two natural left side D, one of which is Hughes (who is not going to kill on pk), if Ekman-Larson takes a penalty, we are trying to kill with four right hand shots, which makes it difficult to defend plays coming from around the left side of the net, and passes through the box. Clearly, they don’t trust Hunt and don’t think Rathbone is ready - though he has recovered his game in Abby (out of the Green effect). In any event, Granted Rathbone’s size and lack of NHL experience, he is likely not a solution to the lack of left handed D’s capable of pk duty.

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Clearly these coaches cannot coach an NHL pk. Why give a young guy bad habits, and set him up to fail when confidence is so important in sports. In addition, we have to solve the issue of only one LH D capable of killing penalties. 

First replace the GM and ensure the new GM’s operating independence from ownership - their short-sighted policies have set back a rebuild by years. Let the new GM choose his own coaches. 

On 12/5/2021 at 8:20 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sadly, I agree.

I really wanted Will to make the team out of camp, and I think the Canucks would have been better for it, but now, I want him to stay in Abby until there’s some resolution of the current issues with the NHL club.

Hopefully either the team pulls out of their funk, without making changes (which seems unlikely, but I’m still going to hope it somehow happens), or Lockwood gets the call after there’s a new/interim coach and/or GM.

I think Will has the character to withstand the current negativity around the team, and possibly he’d even give this group a lift, but I’d still prefer not to have him called up during a phase when fans are likely to continue with boos, chants, and jersey tosses.

Bring him up after all this BS is over.

Is the BS over? Do you think we can safely bring him up now?

9 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Is the BS over? Do you think we can safely bring him up now?

You never know in Vancouver. This market has an unlimited capacity for generating BS. ;) 

But yeah, I think it’s relatively “safe” now. In fact, it would be a really good opportunity. The fans are suddenly happy with the team, after the firings, and there’s a lot of excitement and optimism. And Lockwood is the type of player who can quickly become a “fan favourite” with his aggressive, energetic style of play and work ethic.

A new coach (and management) also opens up opportunities for all players, even the ones who might not have been considered “NHL ready” beforehand, by the old regime.

I have a feeling Boudreau would love how Lockwood plays the game, and if Will came in and impressed early, he could steal a lineup spot and never give it up.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BPA said:

Where would he slot in?  Take over Chiasson spot?

The knock on Chiasson is his foot speed IMHO. He has to be able to do more than park in front of the net. That takes skating. That said he was never a long term piece. A JB signing that likely doesn’t fit in a Boudreau game plan. Not saying that BB doesn’t work with him. No hurry to play Lockwood in the NHL. But I do think there is value in rotating players from the Abby team to Vancouver as reward and incentive for their play and development.

On 12/7/2021 at 4:08 PM, BPA said:

Where would he slot in?  Take over Chiasson spot?

Yes. This power play doesn’t need Chiasson, and Lockwood is a guy who would be very useful granted Boudreau’s style. And if Hamonic is hurt, could be a good time to bring up Rathbone - now that he has renewed his confidence away from Green. Laying back and letting the opposition come at you isn’t the best option for a smallish defender - Rathbone could thrive under this style of coach.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Yes. This power play doesn’t need Chiasson, and Lockwood is a guy who would be very useful granted Boudreau’s style. And if Hamonic is hurt, could be a good time to bring up Rathbone - now that he has renewed his confidence away from Green. Laying back and letting the opposition come at you isn’t the best option for a smallish defender - Rathbone could thrive under this style of coach.

I’m still in the camp of letting Rathbone play more AHL games. Look at him in late January. I don’t want Hunt playing as I cannot see the long term benefit to building the team. If needed maybe Bristol’s or Sauntner could have a few games. Haven’t heard anything about Hamonic or OEL yet. Rathbone isn’t a LD PK’er but he must watch the Hughes interviews about PK’ing with interest. 

• Like 1

I agree that the pp doesn't need Chiasson, in fact, Pearson has been a much more effective net front presence on the 2nd pp unit.

The thing I have liked about Chiasson's game though is that he does use his size and bangs around a bit but he is slow so he seems to have trouble catching up to some players. Maybe Lockwood can replace him and not be so much of a banger but more of an agitator. He showed a tendency to be this in preseason so I would like to see Lockwood get a call up eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see Juulsen being sent back down; imo, he's been better (in the NHL) than Burroughs and Hunt, and Sautner and Breezer, and fills a gaping hole on the right side.

Also, I don't see our new mngt keeping Lockwood down on the farm much longer once they see how he plays and uses his speed.

Klim is a year away; but who knows with Covid?

• Cheers 3

19 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Next season add Lockwood and Klimovich? We totally owe JB some thank you's. He doesn't deserve all the hate he's been getting. 

These 2 will add to our bottom 6 and allow us to save some cap. 

I'm also really hoping Juulesen rounds out to a solid 6-7 dman. 

Lockwood maybe? Klimovich? That's a big ask for someone who'll only be turning 19 in January. I can't help but think he'd be better served getting big offensive minutes in Abbotsford in an environment where there'll be less pressure. Dude could be good, I'd hate to mess up a good thing by rushing him. He's got talent but he's still a 2nd round pick and they usually take a while, if they make it at all. 

It's his first pro season, he'd probably benefit from being able to build on his game at both ends before taking a crack at the bigs. But who knows, we'll see come next year's training camp. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Lockwood maybe? Klimovich? That's a big ask for someone who'll only be turning 19 in January. I can't help but think he'd be better served getting big offensive minutes in Abbotsford in an environment where there'll be less pressure. Dude could be good, I'd hate to mess up a good thing by rushing him. He's got talent but he's still a 2nd round pick and they usually take a while, if they make it at all. 

It's his first pro season, he'd probably benefit from being able to build on his game at both ends before taking a crack at the bigs. But who knows, we'll see come next year's training camp. 

Yes Klimovich might be a bit longer. But if he keeps developing, especially with good coaching, he may get a shot by next December. Add a good off season as well. He needs to train with solid pros this summer. 

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Rutherford say he likes fast players?  Woody is FAST with all caps.  

Yup, would rather see Locks and Bailey up in the big club over guys like Dowling and Chiasson, Dickinson to the 4th line and elevate Motte. Im curious to see how Bailey looks with the new coaching staff who preaches speed and aggresiveness. Chiasson is worthless and doesn't belong in the roster

• Cheers 2