The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Saw that earlier. Apparently he's been put on waivers (48 hour period) where any WHL team can add him. If all the teams in Dub pass on him, he'll then become free to look for a team in the OHL or QMJHL. Failing that, unless they want Abols going back to Europe (which would be an option--and I believe he's still under contract with Riga), the Canucks would likely need to step in and either sign him to a pro deal (likely playing in the ECHL) or come up with some arrangement with a team in one of the more "nontraditional" leagues.

EDIT: The problem IIRC is Abols takes up both an import spot and an overage spot. The CHL limits these slots and most teams won't want to use both on a guy like Abols.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Saw that earlier. Apparently he's been put on waivers (48 hour period) where any WHL team can add him. If all the teams in Dub pass on him, he'll then become free to look for a team in the OHL or QMJHL. Failing that, unless they want Abols going back to Europe (which would be an option), the Canucks would likely need to step in and either sign him to a pro deal (likely playing in the ECHL) or come up with some arrangement with a team in one of the more "nontraditional" leagues.

Don't care.  Let the guy go.  He's not good anyway.  Not a difference maker.  No standout single skill to promote.  

I think its becoming a bit more clear that he wasn't the wisest of picks. Of course, its only a seventh rounder but you would ideally like to see some semblance of potential in anybody you pick - I was hoping for Ronning or Patrick Bajkov with our seventh. At 20, he should be a top producer on his team, not a guy unable to crack the lineup. It may very well be that its just the situation in Portland preventing him from getting a real shot and that he'd flourish on another club, but finding a team that has both an import and overage spot available will be tough. The Canucks might as well sign him to an ATO for Alaska if nobody picks him up.

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, it's not a big deal either way. And I've never really been a fan of this pick. More just an interesting item for me to geek out on. ;) 

I am not as down on this kid as many on here seem to be. I watched him in Penticton and Green used him on the PK with Cassels quite a bit. He moves well on the ice. Not a offensive presence but got a few shots off. I admit that he was not on my top tier of notices but still not a wash like many others were. All that aside I hope he ends up in Riga which is likely his best option.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Abols has found a team and will remain in the CHL: http://m.apollo.tvnet.lv/zinas/abols-pamet-rietumu-hokeja-ligu-un-dodas-iekarot-kvebeku/775805

Joining Acadie-Bathurst Titan of the QMJHL according to Latvian source. Titan will need to clear an overager spot to complete the transaction.

Credit to FroshaugFan2 on HFBoards for this info.

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like Abols has found a team and will remain in the CHL: http://m.apollo.tvnet.lv/zinas/abols-pamet-rietumu-hokeja-ligu-un-dodas-iekarot-kvebeku/775805

Joining Acadie-Bathurst Titan of the QMJHL according to Latvian source. Titan will need to clear an overager spot to complete the transaction.

Credit to FroshaugFan2 on HFBoards for this info.

That's where brisbois played no.?

7 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

That's where brisbois played no.?

Yep. The Titan weren't very good last year so Brisebois asked to be traded. He's with the Charlottetown Islanders now.

The surprise is that the Titan have gotten out to a strong start and sit 2nd in the Maritime Division (just a point ahead of Charlottetown through 13 games).

However, Charlottetown is a much more potent team (currently 60 GF and +14 differential) while Acadie-Bathurst hasn't scored a lot and has been winning by a slim average margin (only 46 GF and +4 differential).

Probably both players are in good spots. Brisebois should be able to pile up points this year with the Islanders and Abols should hopefully help the Titan offensively.

Glad to see him find a home for this season. Portland releasing him is in no way connected to the quality of his play. They drafted and signed 2 imports this offseason, assuming Abols would play pro somewhere after being one of our top offensive players in a team that was desperate for goals last season. No one in the WHL had both an import and overage roster spot available, so he was released. Hope he does well in the Q, and for the Comets next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived