The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 08/11/2016 at 8:36 PM, Beary Sweet said:

All I see is Kesler type player with this kid. He's embracing the role of being captain and keeps putting up these points game after game. Benning continues to find gold in the late rounds

He has to do a lot of hounding to be like kesler

55 minutes ago, clutesi said:

I hope I'm wrong but how much of his performance comes from the fact he's older and more experienced in the league? Is this Dane Fox part deux?

Fox hovered below a point per game in his D+2 before exploding in his D+3 season (at age 20). And he was on a stacked offensive team (2013-14 Erie Otters roster). 

McKenzie (age 19) is posting great numbers (22 points in 17 GP or roughly 1.3 points per game) in his D+2 season and doing so within a fairly conservative system under coach Stan Butler and on a far less potent team (2016-17 North Bay Battalion roster).

Canucks Army has a great article (albeit a bit math heavy) on what McKenzie's production means. Long story short, if he can maintain a pace around 1.2-1.4 points per game, he'll have a 35-40% chance of becoming a 200 game NHL player (based on similar player cohort probability models). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 2:02 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Speaking of Otten (and obviously McKenzie), Brock recently shared (he posts on another board) his March 2016 interview with North Bay coach Stan Butler, who had a lot of nice things to say about McKenzie:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/03/q-with-north-bay-battalion-coach-stan.html?m=1

EDIT: It's going to be interesting to watch how well McKenzie progresses next season and how high he can push his totals, especially if he's given power play opportunities and a scoring role in the lineup.

I pointed out (in a post in the locked original thread) that McKenzie was a highly touted skill player as a 15/16 year old and that he very likely has more top-end offensive ability than he's really shown thusfar in the OHL (not that his totals have been bad--I just think he has untapped scoring potential). 

And Butler is a coach that really pushes defensive fundamentals and demands a two-way game from his forwards. McKenzie has been able to put up some impressive totals at 5v5 while also playing solid in three zones. But without power play opportunities, McKenzie has never really been given the chance to put up his best possible numbers.

And that's a good thing (and maybe a great thing for us given where we were able to draft this kid). Butler has been helping McKenzie develop all facets of his game and work to eliminate some of his weaknesses. He's not a coach who looks to pad his guys' offensive totals heading into their draft eligibility. Butler is a coach who develops solid all-around players with real NHL potential and good odds to outperform their rankings and draft position.

And I think McKenzie might just be one of those players.

This post was written right after the draft. Brett was a bit of a hidden gem because his coach taught defense first. It sounds like Brett is being developed the right way by a "Travis Green" kinda coach who has his long term interests at heart.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:31 PM, clutesi said:

I hope I'm wrong but how much of his performance comes from the fact he's older and more experienced in the league? Is this Dane Fox part deux?

One had McDavid feeding him passes on a stacked Erie team, the other leads a mediocre at best North Bay team.

On 2016-12-18 at 2:42 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

One goal for McKenzie today, seven shots on goal, and 15/22 on faceoffs. 16-21-37 in 32 games this year so far - he's 16th in OHL scoring.

Those 7 SOG brings McKenzie to 3rd in OHL in total shots on goal (with 149).

OHL shooting percentages being what they are, he's probably a bit lower in goals  scored this season (with 16) than what's expected based on his shot volume. He'd have 20 already if he was just matching last season's Sh%. And probably reasonable to expect McKenzie to improve on his current 2 power play goals through 32 games.

Wouldn't surprise me if McKenzie's goals totals start heating up in the new year. Not that his current pace is poor (he's on track for 30-35), but I'd love to see him break 40 when the season's done.

And with him slipping just slightly in points per game (currently 1.16), a jump in his goals rate would help keep him above that statistical line of 1.20 points per game I keep mentioning (where the models suggest the odds of NHL success are very good for players of his age/type).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived