The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning has completely fixed our D in just 2 years as GM

Hortankin

What Benning inherited when he took over.

Edler

Tanev

Hamhuis

Garrison

Bieksa

Stanton

Weber

Corrado

Biega

Sanguinetti

Subban

Hutton

Our D now

Tanev

Hutton

Gudbranson

Edler

Juolevi

Tryamkin

Sbisa

Pedan

Larson

Subban

Stecher

Brisebois

Olsen

He has done a tremendous job. I have no idea what people are crying about. He may have even gotten us the elite goalie we need in Demko. This team is being built the right way. The back end out.  To top it all off we also have great forward prospects as well. May not be as deep as our D (Feels weird saying that lol) but we can now move our focus to that via trades and UFA/RFA this Offseason. 

Our forward group is still a bit iffy for me but I am giving Benning major props for what he's done with our defence. If everything goes well, our defence will be a force to be reckoned within a year or two. 

And just because it gives me an excuse to post this again:

Not anyone can just hurl Getzlaf to the ground like that. Nikita ain't got time for your ****, boy.

Edit: Whoops, that wasn't Getzlaf. Who's 29 on the Ducks?

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Our forward group is still a bit iffy for me but I am giving Benning major props for what he's done with our defence. If everything goes well, our defence will be a force to be reckoned within a year or two. 

Agreed but he's doing the right thing by working from the net out. Who would have thought that our goaltending would be so solid after trading away Schneider, Luongo and Lack? When our forwards catch up to the backend, we're going to be a powerhouse. You look at a team like Dallas who has insane offense but suspect goaltending and defense. That won't be us.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Agreed but he's doing the right thing by working from the net out. Who would have thought that our goaltending would be so solid after trading away Schneider, Luongo and Lack? When our forwards catch up to the backend, we're going to be a powerhouse. You look at a team like Dallas who has insane offense but suspect goaltending and defense. That won't be us.

Totally...I'm actually not worried about our forwards as that group is much easier to fix by trades/free agency that D or goaltending. 

10 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

the way I look at it we only need to focus on the top 6 and we can fill out the rest with other prospects/ufa/vets

XXXXX Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Granlund Virtanen

Looking at this gives me a sense of why fans were disappointed with not getting Tkachuk (me included) but we can get a winger for a lot cheaper via trade than a #1 Dman. I have high hopes for Granlund. I think he can be a solid 2nd line C. Horvat has Berger on written all over him. He's no McDavid but he's the exact #1C McDavid hates going up against!

Why exactly are we declaring it fixed? There still needs to be a lot of development from the young guys to consider it "fixed". There is some promise for sure but it is far from a finished product. This is premature.

No.  No he has not.  He has made it younger.  Fixed is quite subjective as there's a LOT of what ifs.

Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen, Juolevi.  All of them are largely unproven right now.  Our depth is still suspect and we've yet to be able to say we've the prospect depth to churn it out or make trades from the blueline.

Fixed is subjective, but it does look good.  but one major injury to our NHL blue line and we're screwed and as such I think it's a shade early to call it fixed

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

Why exactly are we declaring it fixed? There still needs to be a lot of development from the young guys to consider it "fixed". There is some promise for sure but it is far from a finished product. This is premature.

You're premature

This D is fixed. Did you watch Hutton last year?

Did u watch Tryamkin throw around that big Ducks team like they are nothing?

Did you see highlights of Juolevi?

Did you ever watch Gudbranson? 

oh great. So Stanley Cup next year? 

Do you even know what completely fixed mean?

Are we now a defensemen powerhouse like Nashville and St Louis? 

I wonder what you'd post as a thread if you were a Florida/Philly or Calgary fan. Because their defense depth/prospects puts ours to shame. 

I'll admit, it's still early to call our defence fixed. However, it does look far more difficult to play against. I just hope this upcoming season that we can remain competitive. 

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

oh great. So Stanley Cup next year? 

Do you even know what completely fixed mean?

Are we now a defensemen powerhouse like Nashville and St Louis? 

I wonder what you'd post as a thread if you were a Florida/Philly or Calgary fan. Because their defense depth/prospects puts ours to shame. 

Calgary has no D.  They have a bunch of offensive defenceman.  That's not defence

Canucks D has vastly improved and has gotten younger. Edler is now the "old man".

Could one day be the best in the league:

Juolevi - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Subban

Pedan - Stecher

Brisebois - Larsen

Our goaltending is solid: Markstrom/Demko/Garteig

The offence needs a boost though. All we have for future top 6 forwards (under 25)

Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, Boeser

22 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Edit: Whoops, that wasn't Getzlaf. Who's 29 on the Ducks?

I believe that was Chris Stewart..which makes it even more impressive.  Tryamkin is probably the player I'm most intrigued/excited about.  If he pans out, he won't have a parallel in this league.

32 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

What Benning inherited when he took over.

Edler

Tanev

Hamhuis

Bieksa

Stanton

Weber

Corrado

Biega

Sanguinetti

Subban

Hutton

Our D now

Tanev

Hutton

Gudbranson

Edler

Juolevi

Tryamkin

Sbisa

Pedan

Larson

Subban

Stecher

Brisebois

Olsen

He has done a tremendous job. I have no idea what people are crying about. He may have even gotten us the elite goalie we need in Demko. This team is being built the right way. The back end out.  To top it all off we also have great forward prospects as well. May not be as deep as our D (Feels weird saying that lol) but we can now move our focus to that via trades and UFA/RFA this Offseason. 

I'm pro Benning, I like what he has done so far, I'm excited with the Juolevi pick and like you, I don't get all the hate.

But to say he has completely fixed our defense is a stretch IMO.  Hutton wasn't his pick, he did acquired Gudbranson, but lost Hamhuis for nothing.

Juolevi and Trymakin are solid picks, but they have yet to make an impact on our team.  Once they are part of our D core and contributing significantly, then we can say Benning fixed our D.  

He has addressed our lack of depth and quality prospect on defense, but as for our Pro top 4/6, with the loss of Hamhuis, it's pretty much the same with the acquisition of Gudbranson. 

At the start of last season I thought he was doing a good job with the forwards but the defence was a train wreck, now I think the defence is looking great and he needs to get to work on the forwards, filling some holes. What a difference a year makes.

Archived