The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins PURPOSELY draft third liner 29th overall.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/bruins-draft-trent-frederic-first-round-admit-third-line-grinder/?cid=facebook_98.5_The_Sports_Hub

BOSTON (CBS) — The Bruins’ unhealthy obsession with the bottom-half of the roster became a parody of itself over the weekend. Stories like this only make those Stamkos rumors sound that much sillier.

The Bruins essentially admitted that to their fans on Friday at the NHL Draft after they selected center Trent Frederic with the 29th overall pick. Frederic, who is committed to the University of Wisconsin, was ranked outside the top 50 by many scouts and draft experts. The pick was almost universally regarded as a major reach.

The problem with the pick, however, isn’t that the Bruins drafted a guy that the “experts” said was only a third-line player. It’s that they agree with them. They took a first-round pick, which should net you a player with big upside 100 percent of the time, and admitted they used it on a player destined to be a bottom-six forward. They did that, on purpose.

“[Frederic] is not going to be a top-two-line guy, we know that,” Bruins director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky told reporters at the draft, according to Steve Conroy of the Boston Herald. “But he has some jam. He plays hard with the penalty minutes. We were fortunate to get him.

“We believed he was our next guy and we really liked the projection of him as a staff. Everybody raved about him, his character is outstanding. He’s an athlete.”

SEE ALSO: Bruins, Other Teams Shut Out Of Shattenkirk Trade By Massive Price Tag

In a vacuum, Frederic is a prototypical player for Claude Julien’s system. He could eventually fill Chris Kelly’s role, killing penalties and playing a solid all-around game. Every winning team needs at least one guy who excels at that type of role and I think you’ll end up liking Frederic for what he is. But a grinder with “some jam” is simply not the kind of player you unnecessarily overpay with contract extensions and certainly not the kind you spend a first-round pick to acquire, and everyone knows it – except, apparently, for the Bruins.

The selection undid whatever goodwill the Bruins had built up with their earlier selection of defenseman Charlie McAvoy

Looks like the character ploy runs through the Bruins organization, drafting him because of jam, his pk abilities and his personality. On the flipside, what a kick to the gut that must be for the kid hearing that come out of the scouting department. Say what you want about Jimbo but at least he isn't THAT bad.

"He could eventually fill Chris Kelly’s role" is not what you want to hear in the scouting report of a first round pick, even at 29... yeesh. Although we got Nicklas Jensen at 29 so its not like our history is any better, or that anyone you pick at 29 is gonna be a surefire NHLer.

The thing is their prospect cupboard could be so much better, its really incredible how they had 3 back to back picks last year and reached on all of them and then go with another here. How crazy would it be if they'd drafted Connor, Boeser, and Barzal last year?

3 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

"He could eventually fill Chris Kelly’s role" is not what you want to hear in the scouting report of a first round pick, even at 29... yeesh. Although we got Nicklas Jensen at 29 so its not like our history is any better, or that anyone you pick at 29 is gonna be a surefire NHLer.

The thing is their prospect cupboard could be so much better, its really incredible how they had 3 back to back picks last year and reached on all of them and then go with another here. How crazy would it be if they'd drafted Connor, Boeser, and Barzal last year?

See below. 

5 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

I'm so thankful that the Bruins have Don Sweeney as their GM.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If it is a heck of a 3rd liner that plays for them for many years then yeah that would be a good pick.

We drafted Gaunce at 26th overall. If he becomes a solid 3rd line player for a long time I wouldn't be upset.

We didn't pick him to be a 3rd liner though. We hoped he'd be more.

Just now, EagleShield said:

All I am trying to say is that a good 3rd line player late in the first round isn't a bad pick if it pans out.

There have been much worse players gone much higher in the first round.

2 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

I think we did though. The knack on Gaunce was that teams didn't know if he had the offense to be a top 2 center or if he would be the big hulking 3rd line center.

Hank

Kesler

Gaunce

Was probably Gillis' vision when he drafted Gaunce. I don't see a problem with drafting a 3rd liner with a 25+ pick since most pick around that area try to draft a top 6 forward and its usually a bust.

Well if their top 2 lines are set for the next few years, why not? As the last 7 Cup winners have proved, if your bottom 6 is not good enough, you will not win the Cup. You gotta roll 4 lines in the salary cap era. If I am correct I believe it was the Pens third line that got it done points wise. No point nitpicking on how to build a team, by now any hockey fan knows the importance of a 3rd and 4th line that can get er done!

1 minute ago, MayRayDown said:

I think we did though. The knack on Gaunce was that teams didn't know if he had the offense to be a top 2 center or if he would be the big hulking 3rd line center.

Hank

Kesler

Gaunce

Was probably Gillis' vision when he drafted Gaunce. I don't see a problem with drafting a 3rd liner with a 25+ pick since most pick around that area try to draft a top 6 forward and its usually a bust.

I agree with you. I watched a fair of bit of Gaunce in junior and he was always supposed to be low upside guy who was praised for his intangibles like character and leadership. It was apparent at that time to anyone who watched him that his skating would be the biggest hurdle for him to overcome. I expected 3rd liner then and that is about the best that we can hope for today.

9 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Well if their top 2 lines are set for the next few years, why not? As the last 7 Cup winners have proved, if your bottom 6 is not good enough, you will not win the Cup. You gotta roll 4 lines in the salary cap era. If I am correct I believe it was the Pens third line that got it done points wise. No point nitpicking on how to build a team, by now any hockey fan knows the importance of a 3rd and 4th line that can get er done!

I think the issue is that if you want to pick him you should try and move down to do so. With guys like Benson, Laberge, Asplund, Hajek etc... available it seems like a waste of a pick to use it on a guy that could have been taken late 2nd or early 3rd. It's not like he is a player whose floor is a 3rd line player. If he was a safe pick then it might have made sense but if things work out this kid he will end up a 3rd liner.

Edit: To add to this. The Leafs reached on a player as 31 as well but their reach was still made with upside in mind. The Bruins reached with 3rd liner in mind.

If that 29th pick guarantees you a 3rd Line Player I think most GM's would take it. Better drafting a surefire 3rd liner that could possibly move up the line when needed or draft someone who has like a 10% chance being a Top 6 forward. 

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If it is a heck of a 3rd liner that plays for them for many years then yeah that would be a good pick.

We drafted Gaunce at 26th overall. If he becomes a solid 3rd line player for a long time I wouldn't be upset.

Yeah but was Gaunce out of the top 50 when we selected him?

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

If that 29th pick guarantees you a 3rd Line Player I think most GM's would take it. Better drafting a surefire 3rd liner that could possibly move up the line when needed or draft someone who has like a 10% chance being a Top 6 forward. 

39 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

There are hundreds of former first round picks out there wishing they'd had the career Chris Kelly has had.

Exactly.

Gaunce, Jensen, White come to anyone's mind?

Seriously people. So the Bruins beat the Canucks in 2011. Give it a rest.

Archived