The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins PURPOSELY draft third liner 29th overall.

Haha what idiots!

Everybody knows that you can easily get legitimate top 6 forwards with the 29th overall pick.

I mean look at all those studs in past years:

29th Overall NHL Draft Picks
Year Player Pos. Drafted From Drafted By
2013 Jason Dickinson LW Guelph (OHL) Dallas
2012 Stefan Matteau LW USNTDP New Jersey Devils
2011 Nicklas Jensen LW Oshawa (OHL) Vancouver Canucks
2010 Emerson Etem C/LW Medicine Hat (WHL) Anaheim Ducks
2009 Carter Ashton LW Lethbridge (WHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2008 Daultan Leveille C St. Catherines (GHL) Atlanta Thrashers
2007 Jim O'Brian C Minnesota (NCAA) Ottawa Senators
2006 Chris Summers D NTDP 18 (USA) Phoenix Coyotes
2005 Steve Downie RW Windsor Spitfires (OHL) Philadelphia Flyers
2004 Mike Green D Saskatoon Blades (WHL) Washington Capitals
2003 Patrick Eaves RW Boston College (NCAA) Ottawa Senators
2002 Hannu Toivonen G HPK Hameenlinna (FNL) Boston Bruins
2001 Adam Munro G Erie Otters (OHL) Chicago Blackhawks
2000 Niklas Kronwall D Djurgardens IF Stockholm (SEL) Detroit Red Wings

Fact of the matter is, outside of the top 10/15 picks of a draft, you've done yourself well if you can land a solid career 3rd line player.

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

People take their fandom seriously, not sure how that makes it "nerd raging" but sure.

nerd raging is exactly getting overly upset about a subject they take too seriously. There's little difference between being mad about draft picks and being mad about the star wars prequels. Just because its sports it doesn't mean its any less ridiculous to take things way too seriously. Its entertainment at the end of the day.

10 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

They took a first-round pick, which should net you a player with big upside 100 percent of the time, and admitted they used it on a player destined to be a bottom-six forward.

I don't agree at all with this line from the article. Clearly written this way to make he Bruins look bad. You can't expect the 29th overall pick to be an amazing player all the time. It's probably safer (especially when you had 3 1st rounders last year) to draft the guy with a 3rd line ceiling who's likely to hit that, than a Jensen or Etem who falls below expectations and struggles to crack rosters.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Exactly.

Gaunce, Jensen, White come to anyone's mind?

Seriously people. So the Bruins beat the Canucks in 2011. Give it a rest.

What does 2011 have to do with anything here? Nothing. The Bruins GM made a really big head scratcher of a pick, for the second year in a row. Bruins fans are livid. This guy was projected to go in the third round, and coming the year after the Bruins took a second rounder with their 15th overall pick. 

Trying to pick an offensive superstar at 29 is probably a worse idea.

More likely you can grab a solid bottom 6 player in the late first or early second. Would you rather have a bust or a guy that you know has a very high chance to play in the NHL?

It's the same reason you pick guys like Gaunce and Etem late. These guys were always unlikely to be top 6 players, but teams knew that at worst they can likely play bottom 6 roles. The only difference in this is that their GM admitted it.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

More likely you can grab a solid bottom 6 player in the late first or early second. Would you rather have a bust or a guy that you know has a very high chance to play in the NHL?

It's the same reason you pick guys like Gaunce and Etem late. These guys were always unlikely to be top 6 players, but teams knew that at worst they can likely play bottom 6 roles. The only difference in this is that their GM admitted it.

Benning found one at #23..

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Benning found one at #23..

Too early to call him an offensive superstar. Either way I think we got a little lucky he fell that far.

There's a big difference between 23 and 29 though. Not often you get a top 6 forward in that range. 

I can totally get behind drafting a career 3rd/4th (With PK time) liner in the 29 slot, especially in Boston's case. 

In just the first 2 rounds of the last 2 drafts with Sweeney as GM, they've drafted,

McAvoy (D)
Lindgren (D)
Zboril (D)
Carlo (D)
Lauzon (D)
Forsbacka-Carlsson (F)
Debrusk (F)
Senyshyn (F)
Frederic (F)

I'm happy for their fans that they didn't draft another defenceman ! Hahaha

It's simply bad asset management. You don't take a player you can get at pick 50 with pick 5. It's not a knock on Frederic, but the term here is "reaching". They likely could have gotten him later and in addition to an arguably better prospect with 29.

They did this last year with Senyshyn and Debrusk as well.

37 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

It's simply bad asset management. You don't take a player you can get at pick 50 with pick 5. It's not a knock on Frederic, but the term here is "reaching". They likely could have gotten him later and in addition to an arguably better prospect with 29.

They did this last year with Senyshyn and Debrusk as well.

If it's a player you really want you don't risk getting him in the next round.

At least they're willing to own the pick and say that was a player they really believed in.

Say all you want about JB, I have always thought highly of him and continue to believe in what he is doing here.

Anyone taken a stroll over to HFboards? JB hate is as trendy and popular as hating on Nickleback, meanwhile someone who is genuinely making his organization worse the more moves he makes, Don Sweeney get's a free pass.

The Bruins are in shambles. On top of their highly disappointing draft last year, they continue it with this joke. 

I'd ask for a trade if I was a Bruins player right now, they are going to fall and keep falling if they keep this up. Trouba offersheet as well? going to have to be a monster contract because they don't have 2nd or 3rd round picks. Combine that with an on ice product that is diminishing and the Jets will be picking top 5-10 for the next 4 years with those picks. 

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Etem was supposed to be a top 6 guy. Yes he has disappointed but he was picked with upside in mind. People actually thought that he would become a 1st line forward. The Ducks kept him over Kyle Palmieri who became an actual 1st line player for the Devils.

I disagree with your strategy of targeting players with higher floor as you also lose out on players like Saad and O'Reilly. I like the direction Benning had gone with late 1sts and early 2nds in McCann, Boeser and Demko. Love the upside on all three of them.

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Say all you want about JB, I have always thought highly of him and continue to believe in what he is doing here.

Anyone taken a stroll over to HFboards? JB hate is as trendy and popular as hating on Nickleback, meanwhile someone who is genuinely making his organization worse the more moves he makes, Don Sweeney get's a free pass.

The Bruins are in shambles. On top of their highly disappointing draft last year, they continue it with this joke. 

I'd ask for a trade if I was a Bruins player right now, they are going to fall and keep falling if they keep this up. Trouba offersheet as well? going to have to be a monster contract because they don't have 2nd or 3rd round picks. Combine that with an on ice product that is diminishing and the Jets will be picking top 5-10 for the next 4 years with those picks. 

HFBruins hates Sweeney about as much as HFCanucks. Sweeney hasn't been as active so he doesn't get much exposure.

On 6/28/2016 at 1:43 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

If it is a heck of a 3rd liner that plays for them for many years then yeah that would be a good pick.

We drafted Gaunce at 26th overall. If he becomes a solid 3rd line player for a long time I wouldn't be upset.

Exactly. So many first rounders that are selected don't even play an NHL game. Brian Burke said the same thing after drafting Ryan Kesler in the first round so It can change overtime, Kesler worked on his offenisve game and now is regarded as one of the best two way players in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM, DeNiro said:

If it's a player you really want you don't risk getting him in the next round.

At least they're willing to own the pick and say that was a player they really believed in.

This is exactly it. Too many fans are caught up in " draft the highest skillet,  1st rounder better be top six forward or top four defense " . The key is you want to draft an NHL player.

Archived