The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Sign Brett Connolly

Connolly has shown signs of brilliance in his career.  Great skater, strong passer, great wristshot.  Drafted 3 spots behind Gudbranson.  From BC.  Natural centre but plays wing as well.  Could still have some great upside.  Could be had cheap.  I think he would be a good fit with this group.  As much potential for upside as any of the castoffs. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Connolly

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Rodin/Virtanen

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

Connolly has shown signs of brilliance in his career.  Great skater, strong passer, great wristshot.  Drafted 3 spots behind Gudbranson.  From BC.  Natural centre but plays wing as well.  Could still have some great upside.  Could be had cheap.  I think he would be a good fit with this group.  As much potential for upside as any of the castoffs. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Connolly

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Rodin/Virtanen

There's usually a good reason why guys who are mid twenties get let go like this.  He thinks he's a top six guy, and wants to play that high skill game - taking risks to make plays, not playing in straight lines.  He's not good enough for that, and hurts his team.  

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Connolly

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Rodin/Virtanen

Who exactly do we leave exposed if we add another contract? 

Just now, Alflives said:

There's usually a good reason why guys who are mid twenties get let go like this.  He thinks he's a top six guy, and wants to play that high skill game - taking risks to make plays, not playing in straight lines.  He's not good enough for that, and hurts his team.  

I read somewhere that he was a bit snakebitten and that he played quite a bit on the first line in Boston but had terrible puck luck.  You may be right, but he could probably be had for 900k and the risk reward potential could be very high.  Others are looking at paying much more for players with similar output and not upside.  Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I read somewhere that he was a bit snakebitten and that he played quite a bit on the first line in Boston but had terrible puck luck.  You may be right, but he could probably be had for 900k and the risk reward potential could be very high.  Others are looking at paying much more for players with similar output and not upside.  Just a thought.

I would definitely prefer Conelly to Vanek.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then the coaching staff needs to instill in him how to play. It's not like he's too old. He can learn. 

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

Then the coaching staff needs to instill in him how to play. It's not like he's too old. He can learn. 

It might not be in him to play a straight line, heavy on the forecheck game.  If he did play that way, combined with his skill, he would be and excellent third line player.  Then again, there are a lot of these higher skill guys who either play top six, or not at all.  Take Vey for example, and Baer, and Shinkaruk.  

He also went to school and played in Prince George. I have a friend who grew up with, played with and was friends with Connolly. Doesn't have nice things to say about his work ethic or attitude. I think it would be prudent to let some other team make him their reclamation project.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It might not be in him to play a straight line, heavy on the forecheck game.  If he did play that way, combined with his skill, he would be and excellent third line player.  Then again, there are a lot of these higher skill guys who either play top six, or not at all.  Take Vey for example, and Baer, and Shinkaruk.  

He had 137 hits last year in 71 games.  That would have put him 2nd on the canucks.  10 ahead of Dorsett in the same number of games 71.  He isn't afraid to play the game.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You don't think Baer can play on the third with Horvat, since they had chemistry? Or only if he shows nothing with Sutter because he's ideally in the top 6 with or without Horvat?

Just now, DJSkingz said:

He also went to school and played in Prince George. I have a friend who grew up with, played with and was friends with Connolly. Doesn't have nice things to say about his work ethic or attitude. I think it would be prudent to let some other team make him their reclamation project.

The attitude and work ethic are probably true considering he is should be in his prime and raking in the bucks and he has been let go.  I think he may have had the kick he needs in the butt.  I don't remember many people that I would say had a great work ethic or attitude in high school.  Especially the top athletes.

12 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

He had 137 hits last year in 71 games.  That would have put him 2nd on the canucks.  10 ahead of Dorsett in the same number of games 71.  He isn't afraid to play the game.

Then what's wrong with the guy for him to be let go?  

12 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

You don't think Baer can play on the third with Horvat, since they had chemistry? Or only if he shows nothing with Sutter because he's ideally in the top 6 with or without Horvat?

I'm not a Baer fan.  I see him as a player on a poor team.  That's not the topic here though.  If Brett Conelly is a hit machine with school, then we should consider him.  Maybe he's better than Baer?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then what's wrong with the guy for him to be let go?  

I don't purport to be an expert.  Just looking at it he looks like our best shot at a reclamation project with his skill set and he might be re-energized to leave the right coast for his home province.  He was seen as a 1st line centre at one point.  Maybe we can get something out of him of a cheap price.

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I don't purport to be an expert.  Just looking at it he looks like our best shot at a reclamation project with his skill set and he might be re-energized to leave the right coast for his home province.  He was seen as a 1st line centre at one point.  Maybe we can get something out of him of a cheap price.

It would have to be very cheap and basically a show me contract. A 1 to 2 yr 1 to 1.5 m at most

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm not a Baer fan.  I see him as a player on a poor team.  That's not the topic here though.  If Brett Conelly is a hit machine with school, then we should consider him.  Maybe he's better than Baer?

As a bottom 6 maybe.  His top 6 #s would be Vey like.

Imo, the Canucks need to add a top 6 wing; someone that puts up lots of points.  Connelly will only take a spot away from a prospect.

Archived