The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Addition of Eriksson and Okposo

Would the addition of Eriksson who got 64 points last season and Okposo who had 62 points help the Canucks to become a playoff team? Our defence is pretty much set and our goaltending is solid already, so would 2 top 6 forwards be enough to make this roster competitive with Sutter being healthy for the whole year?

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Okposo

Hansen-Sutter-Virtanen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett/Burrows

That forward lineup looks pretty solid with possibility of 5 top 6 players putting up at least 50 points or more and Bae, Sutter, Hansen plus Virtanen being a solid supporting cast. I really think that lineup has the potential to not only make the playoffs, maybe even make some noise in the playoffs. If we re-sign Hamhuis at a discount deal, we would definitely be a playoff team along with those two big UFA signings since we would have 3 shutdown D man in Tanev, Gudbranson and Hamhuis and 2 offensive defensemen in Hutton and Edler while who knows if Joulevi could make the roster or not.

Yes, they would increase the chances of being a playoff team.

I still don't think we'd be anywhere near getting to the 3rd round of the playoffs (and still might not even make the playoffs if things go well) - so I'd probably rather just finish at the bottom again, to be honest.  I think with a solid free agent or two, we'd be looking at maybe 10th in the conference?

All I can say is that I'm glad (for the long term future) that Edmonton shot themselves in the foot today and deprived themselves of the next 10 years of Taylor Hall.

30 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Would the addition of Eriksson who got 64 points last season and Okposo who had 62 points help the Canucks to become a playoff team? Our defence is pretty much set and our goaltending is solid already, so would 2 top 6 forwards be enough to make this roster competitive with Sutter being healthy for the whole year?

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Okposo

Hansen-Sutter-Virtanen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett/Burrows

That forward lineup looks pretty solid with possibility of 5 top 6 players putting up at least 50 points or more and Bae, Sutter, Hansen plus Virtanen being a solid supporting cast. I really think that lineup has the potential to not only make the playoffs, maybe even make some noise in the playoffs. If we re-sign Hamhuis at a discount deal, we would definitely be a playoff team along with those two big UFA signings since we would have 3 shutdown D man in Tanev, Gudbranson and Hamhuis and 2 offensive defensemen in Hutton and Edler while who knows if Joulevi could make the roster or not.

You're dreaming. Our chances of getting even one of those players is extremely slim. Our chances of landing both are damn near impossible, especially considering there is no mathematical way of fitting them both under the cap with our current contracts. Whatever you are smoking, I want some. 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Sure, if you are willing to spend 12-14mil per year in total for the next 4-5 years. I am sure your chances are high to land both players. 

With buyouts of Higgins, Burrows and the contract ending for Miller and the Sedin twins, the Canucks could very well afford to big UFA signings this season. Burrows and Higgins both cost the Canucks more than 1 UFA and Miller's cap of 6 million is the same as another UFA. The Canucks cap space is sufficient to handle 12-14 million for the short term especially once the Sedins go on a discounted rate if they re-sign again.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

If we can get them for cheap and not too long term contracts, hell yaa. We need space to resign Horvat tho, so nothing would handicap our future. Trade Sbisa and maybe Burrows and resign Hammer

Re-signing Horvat would be no problem, as we have a lot of ELC contracts to compensate for it. Boeser, Joulevi, Tryamkin, Hutton contracts compensate for whatever pay raise Horvat gets. Thats not even mentioning Sedins reduced contract, Miller's contract off the table and the buyout of Higgins and Burrows plus the available 10 million cap space the Canucks have right now.

14 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Sure, if you are willing to spend 12-14mil per year in total for the next 4-5 years. I am sure your chances are high to land both players. 

The truth is as above. I don't think we are going to get any deals. If we were a contender right now maybe for a chance to win but the reality is a cup is a long way off.

13 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

With buyouts of Higgins, Burrows and the contract ending for Miller and the Sedin twins, the Canucks could very well afford to big UFA signings this season. Burrows and Higgins both cost the Canucks more than 1 UFA and Miller's cap of 6 million is the same as another UFA. The Canucks cap space is sufficient to handle 12-14 million for the short term especially once the Sedins go on a discounted rate if they re-sign again.

They will not sign short term, likely 5-6 years both and why would the Sedins take a discounted salary? They have never done it before, $7 million for them now is totally full price.

On 7/1/2016 at 3:01 AM, coastal1 said:

They will not sign short term, likely 5-6 years both and why would the Sedins take a discounted salary? They have never done it before, $7 million for them now is totally full price.

Well, for them it wouldn't be about money no more, It would be about winning the cup. They aren't the greedy type and besides, a 3 million discount is not worth more than a chance to possible win a cup or even increase the chance of winning the cup.

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Well, for them it wouldn't be about money no more, It would be about winning the cup. They aren't the greedy type and besides, a 3 million discount is not worth more than a chance to possible win a cup or even increase the chance of winning the cup.

First of all, no NHL players passes up money for a chance at winning the Cup. For similar money, yes they will sign with the contender but they won't pass up money for that. And second, in two years, no one would be signing with the Canucks for a chance to win the Cup- way too early.

On 7/3/2016 at 11:28 PM, coastal1 said:

First of all, no NHL players passes up money for a chance at winning the Cup. For similar money, yes they will sign with the contender but they won't pass up money for that. And second, in two years, no one would be signing with the Canucks for a chance to win the Cup- way too early.

Really? How about Hossa when he took less to sign with the Redwings? or when Paul Kariya signed a 1.2 million dollar deal with the Avalanche back when they had forsberg, same with Selanne who only took $5.8 million? So actually NHL players do pass up money for a chance to win a cup, especially those nearing retirement and on decline. Only the greedy ones chase the money til old age.

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Really? How about Hossa when he took less to sign with the Redwings? or when Paul Kariya signed a 1.2 million dollar deal with the Avalanche back when they had forsberg, same with Selanne who only took $5.8 million? So actually NHL players do pass up money for a chance to win a cup, especially those nearing retirement and on decline. Only the greedy ones chase the money til old age.

Not many people have your behind the scene knowledge, so hard for me to argue. How much did Hossa take from Detroit and how much was he offered somwhere else for example? Selanne only took $5.8 million!! What did he turn down? Remember that players agents look at after-tax dollars. So, for example, for Stamkos, $8.5 mil in Florida is about the same as $11 mil in Ontario, so no giving up money here. But maybe you are rigth, maybe 3 players passed up money in the last 10 years for a chance at the Cup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 3:38 AM, coastal1 said:

Not many people have your behind the scene knowledge, so hard for me to argue. How much did Hossa take from Detroit and how much was he offered somwhere else for example? Selanne only took $5.8 million!! What did he turn down? Remember that players agents look at after-tax dollars. So, for example, for Stamkos, $8.5 mil in Florida is about the same as $11 mil in Ontario, so no giving up money here. But maybe you are rigth, maybe 3 players passed up money in the last 10 years for a chance at the Cup.

I guess Kariya couldn't have gotten more than 1.2 million dollars that year when he was sought after by many teams. You really don't need to have behind the scene knowledge if you can see a big drop from 10 million to 1 million dollars for a player that was still competitive. Anyways, I think players do take discounts for a chance to win the cup, so am not sure what your point is, that all players only think of the money? Some players chase the cup, some chase the money and some like Linden chase their dreams of playing in their hometown. Money is always a factor, never said anything about it not being a factor but some players make it a minor factor.

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I guess Kariya couldn't have gotten more than 1.2 million dollars that year when he was sought after by many teams. You really don't need to have behind the scene knowledge if you can see a big drop from 10 million to 1 million dollars for a player that was still competitive. Anyways, I think players do take discounts for a chance to win the cup, so am not sure what your point is, that all players only think of the money? Some players chase the cup, some chase the money and some like Linden chase their dreams of playing in their hometown. Money is always a factor, never said anything about it not being a factor but some players make it a minor factor.

My point is that the Cup is never a certainty and players know that. The only certainty is that they only have so many years to make money so while there might be the odd player that will take a meaningful discount to have a good chance at the Cup, I am convinced, and contracts show, that the vast majority look at money first and may accept only a modest discount to join a winning team. Of course all of this is good news for the Canucks since they have money to spend and they have no chance of winning the Cup in the next many years.

On 7/15/2016 at 2:24 AM, coastal1 said:

My point is that the Cup is never a certainty and players know that. The only certainty is that they only have so many years to make money so while there might be the odd player that will take a meaningful discount to have a good chance at the Cup, I am convinced, and contracts show, that the vast majority look at money first and may accept only a modest discount to join a winning team. Of course all of this is good news for the Canucks since they have money to spend and they have no chance of winning the Cup in the next many years.

for a one year chance at a cup, some players do take a chance. Cup is not a certainty but if you feel you can put a team over the top to win it all, you would take the chance to do it. You can still make money, so its not like you are doing it for free but winning a cup is priceless. 

On 2016-07-20 at 0:27 AM, DefCon1 said:

for a one year chance at a cup, some players do take a chance. Cup is not a certainty but if you feel you can put a team over the top to win it all, you would take the chance to do it. You can still make money, so its not like you are doing it for free but winning a cup is priceless

Spoken like a true fan. Fans hate to think of hockey as a business. Did Stamkos pass up money for a better chance at the Cup??

Archived