The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forget 2017, where will this team be when the Sedin's contract is over in 2018?

Odd.

Little bit of a lengthy read but one of the threads earlier gave me a realization. Some say this might be early. This isn't early.

The Sedins, Daniel, a number one left winger, and Henrik, a number one center. Those two positions just happen to be positions we are lacking in our prospect pool.

This past draft, we were 'snubbed' from our 1st line center by CBJ when they picked PLD with their 3rd overall pick shocking heads. Our 'consolation' prize was then supposed to be Matthew Tkachuk right? Nope, Olli Juolevi, best defenseman in the draft. And I like this simply because this solidifies our defense for the future. Maybe one more good prospect at d, and we're set for the future for sure. Gudbranson (23), Tryamkin (21), Hutton (23), Juolevi (18), Stecher, Subban, Brisebois, etc. 

Now here comes our forward crop. And it starts with the Sedins. Sedins have expiring contracts in 2 more years in which we'll be freeing $14.0M in cap space in the summer of 2018, heading towards 2019. By then, they'll probably regress into 2nd, 3rd line forwards. So then I've realized, who's going to be taking their positions at the top line? 

By the time 2018 comes around, these players would turn:  Boeser (21), Virtanen (21 turning 22), Horvat (23), Baertschi(25), and a question mark in Rodin (27 turning 28) who are most likely going to make up our top line. Out of the bunch, who there is classified as "elite" or legitimately 1st liners ? Boeser, he's looking like one, Horvat, elite 2nd line center perhaps, 1st line center is a question mark,  Virtanen looking more of a top 6 player, Baertschi another top 6 player, another question? We have great prospects, but are they going to step up and take their role? I don't think so because they're still relatively young in 2 years and such expectations should not be brought by then. Theoretically, the Sedins won't be 1st line players anymore, and they've regressed tremendously in their foot work and performance already. They CANNOT be expected to be carrying the workload anymore at that point in 2 years.

We need players that can replace the Sedins. We don't have that. So, unless everything goes according to plan, and every single one of the above flourish, we're probably in some trouble. This is why I want Benning to commit to rebuilding and not go after big FA names. Besides, which FA would want to sign here knowing were in the middle of the pack team soon to be a bottom feeder? We weren't supposed to be bottom feeders last year, but injuries and the amount of young rookies we had in the line-up, it showed why we were 3rd last. With the Sedins on the decline, who, just who with whoever we have is going to be counted on? 

Now I'm not up for losing, I hate losing, and this season taught us a lot about 'tanking'. It doesn't always guarantee you a top pick. However in order to get elite players, you kind of have to be picking top 10 to get the best chance of getting them. 

So how do we address this problem of us lacking top end talent without having to tank? I guess you'd ice a team full of AHLer's, and trade veterans for pieces. Which if it comes down to, especially in the potential situation in a few years with us not having anyone to capable of replacing the Sedins, it may help us better in the long run. I'd rather stock pile draft picks right now, and get another good player in top 10 this year, than having to suffer a few years of being bottom dwellers while we helplessly search for players that can replace the Sedins which seems like the inevitable. Again you don't just trade for top end players without sacrificing half your depth. You draft them instead. 

Any thoughts?

I too would like another 1 or two years of solid drafting to solidify our top line. With that said, I also think you can pick up excellent long-term players in free agency. I think Okposo would fit this team extremely well in the long-term, yet Benning doesn't seem to be targetting him. 

Ultimately we'll need to see some of our young players step up into a big role. I think Horvat could make a case for being a top line center - we'll have to see how his offensive game develops this season. If he pots 50-60 points this season, I think he could anchor our top line for the next 15 years. Boeser is looking as close to a top line prospect as this team has had in a long time. 

If you think we were gonna get PLD in the draft and that he would save us, well he wouldn't do anything until a least 2017 and wouldn't be a top line guy for a few more years. Our time is up to get guys to "replace" the Sedin's through drafting. We need the free agent market or trades to bring them to us. Same thing with Tkachuk. Benning has acknowledged a rebuild when he selected Juolevi. They take more time to develope than forwards. Our future defense is good until we get a #1 D. We are getting a good forward next year. Don't worry. Trust in Jim Benning.

Think about this

Hank Sedin as a  20  yr old put up  9 goals and 20 assist with the Canucks in his first season. 

Hank Sedin as a  23  yr old put up  11 goals and 31  assist with the Canucks in his first season. 

Bo Horvat     as  a  19  year old  had  13 goals and 12  assists

Bo Horvat     as  a  20 year old  had  16 goals and 24 assists

We simply do not know the ceiling some of these young guys have. Enjoy the ride. It will be a surprise......

23 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

If you think we were gonna get PLD in the draft and that he would save us, well he wouldn't do anything until a least 2017 and wouldn't be a top line guy for a few more years. Our time is up to get guys to "replace" the Sedin's through drafting. We need the free agent market or trades to bring them to us. Same thing with Tkachuk. Benning has acknowledged a rebuild when he selected Juolevi. They take more time to develope than forwards. Our future defense is good until we get a #1 D. We are getting a good forward next year. Don't worry. Trust in Jim Benning.

You sort of miss the point, many people on these forums have made this exact sentiment that the OP is making. It's not about having the Sedin's replacements in 2018 or 2019 or whenever... It's about at least getting started on it. The longer we delay drafting such players, the longer it'll take for them to be ready. If we don't draft one sooner, we're going to draft one later... Sure... But our team will suck for a long time to do it, because we will have no first line players.

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Think about this

Hank Sedin as a  20  yr old put up  9 goals and 20 assist with the Canucks in his first season. 

Hank Sedin as a  23  yr old put up  11 goals and 31  assist with the Canucks in his first season. 

We simply do not know the ceiling some of these young guys have. Enjoy the ride. It will be a surprise......

Liked your post. Although I don't feel that he will be as good or better than hank, he will be a good player.

2018. Our center position will be filled by commited.  3  number 2 centers sharing the load or something like that.

A winger    same thing or it will be easier to come by one of those by ufa.

I'm not worried   I like the way the culture of our team is trending. 

1 minute ago, Stamkos said:

Liked your post. Although I don't feel that he will be as good or better than hank, he will be a good player.

Hank did not have his break out season till he was 25 yrs old.

My point is that we simply do not know how these young kids were develop. Some will achieve, some will under achieve and some will over achieve.

Keep our fingers crossed. Hope we hit a home run in the draft. 

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Think about this

Love this. So many people forget the first 4 years of the twins. Quite painful actually, but they took the heat and stepped up .Hopefully this happens again with our younger players.

3 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

Love this. So many people forget the first 4 years of the twins. Quite painful actually, but they took the heat and stepped up .Hopefully this happens again with our younger players.

We don't know how could Bo is going to be .... Such a young kid

Hank Sedin as a  23  yr old put up  11 goals and 31  assist with the Canucks in his 4th  season. 

Bo Horvat     as  a  20 year old  had  16 goals and 24 assists in his second season.  

As much as I like the Sedins, their window was slammed shut after 2011 playoff run.  The sooner a new core can supplant the Sedins and make this their team, the closer the Canucks will be to turning the corner.  What is around the corner is anyone's guess, but it can't be any worse than the Canucks of 2012-2016.  

I'm excited about the future of the Canucks, though I'll concede that we will have a couple more years of dark and gloomy days until the kids can legitimately claim their stake as the new core. 

7 hours ago, Aircool said:

You sort of miss the point, many people on these forums have made this exact sentiment that the OP is making. It's not about having the Sedin's replacements in 2018 or 2019 or whenever... It's about at least getting started on it. The longer we delay drafting such players, the longer it'll take for them to be ready. If we don't draft one sooner, we're going to draft one later... Sure... But our team will suck for a long time to do it, because we will have no first line players.

umm, I think you missed the point. UFA's is the ONLY option at this point in time to replace the Sedins in 2 years, unless some of the named guys on the team have break through years. If your not signing young UFA's (Boedker like) that can score, you likely will have quite a few years of bottom feeding after the Sedins retire.

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

So how do we address this problem of us lacking top end talent without having to tank? I guess you'd ice a team full of AHLer's, and trade veterans for pieces. Which if it comes down to, especially in the potential situation in a few years with us not having anyone to capable of replacing the Sedins, it may help us better in the long run. I'd rather stock pile draft picks right now, and get another good player in top 10 this year, than having to suffer a few years of being bottom dwellers while we helplessly search for players that can replace the Sedins which seems like the inevitable. Again you don't just trade for top end players without sacrificing half your depth. You draft them instead. 

Without tanking? You just perfectly described what tanking is as your option ;) 

2 hours ago, Juolevi x 4 said:

How do you guys feel about trading the Sedin Brothers?

If you want whats best for the team you do it this year or next at the TDL (more will be gotten in return the sooner you do it). If you are more worried about feel good stories, and therefore losing out on a ton of picks/prospects, then you hold onto them. I am all about cutting them loose and stocking up.

Hopefully if mostl our defenseman prospect can reach their ceiling, we could have a solid defense with solid goaltending in Demko.  Like the Predators had for many years, with having top line players (before Johansen and maybe Forsberg).  If we could reach that level, I'd be happy with that.  Plus it would be easier for the Canucks to sign a top line UFA than it was for Nashville.

Also, looking at Boston, they never really had a true 1st liner either since they traded away Thornton.  Bergeron is a heck of a player, which I hope Horvat can be similar, but he's not your 80-90 pts guy either.  Marchand sure isn't a true 1st liner, neither were Lucic, Horton and Krejci.  Yet with enough talent in the top 6, they were a really good team.  I think this is a reality the Canucks will have to face in the next five years after the departure of the Sedins.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Hopefully if mostl our defenseman prospect can reach their ceiling, we could have a solid defense with solid goaltending in Demko.  Like the Predators had for many years, with having top line players (before Johansen and maybe Forsberg).  If we could reach that level, I'd be happy with that.  Plus it would be easier for the Canucks to sign a top line UFA than it was for Nashville.

Also, looking at Boston, they never really had a true 1st liner either since they traded away Thornton.  Bergeron is a heck of a player, which I hope Horvat can be similar, but he's not your 80-90 pts guy either.  Marchand sure isn't a true 1st liner, neither were Lucic, Horton and Krejci.  Yet with enough talent in the top 6, they were a really good team.  I think this is a reality the Canucks will have to face in the next five years after the departure of the Sedins.

Pipe dream for me is to sign benn next year. Then maybe trade our first and maybe a prospect for a decent #1c.

Benn blank boeser

Baertschi horvat virtanen

Sedin sedin sutter

Gaunce granlund hansen

Archived