The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will you be impacted by the Canada Post Lockout Announced Today?

DonLever

Today is the last day you may get mail for awhile.

From CTV:

Canada Post and the union representing its workers remain far apart in negotiations for a new contract, with a work stoppage looming on July 2.

Thursday marks the last day that Canadians can expect to receive mail in a timely manner, with a statutory holiday on Friday and a possible work stoppage coming on Saturday. Canada Post has already warned businesses and members of the public to make alternate arrangements for necessary correspondence by mail, ahead of the deadline. The last day to send mail and ensure it is delivered on-time was Wednesday.

However, the Canada Revenue Agency says that Old Age Security and CPP cheques, along with those for the Working Income Tax Benefit and the Canada Child Benefit, are deemed "essential" and will be delivered even during a labour disruption.

So, will the possible strike/lock out affect you?

I remember as a kid, watching my dad every two weeks, sitting at the table with a stack of bills and his cheque book. Tearing off the stubs and then putting them all in envelopes, stamping and mailing them....

...seems so archaic now...

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Where's my damned Hip tickets!?  &^@#ing Canada Post!:angry:

Oh, yeah... I did electronic anyway.

But yeah, I won't have to clean out my mailbox every few days from flyers, ads, solicitations, and all the other crap I get. I've already gotten my house insurance, property tax, utilities, etc. stuff for the year pretty much, so I'm not worried about the break. It just means I won't get that phone case I ordered from eBay on time.

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember as a kid, watching my dad every two weeks, sitting at the table with a stack of bills and his cheque book. Tearing off the stubs and then putting them all in envelopes, stamping and mailing them....

but I got to learn colourful language when the bills arrived ::D 

It already has.  I filed my taxes late and I had to do them as a paper file.  When I went to mail them, I was advised that the strike could happen at any time so I didn't want to make it even more late so I had to pay $25 to have the paperwork sent by courier.   I understand going on strike if people are being treated badly but I don't think that Canada Post employees are, and they get paid pretty well, and they have good benefits.  I don't support the strike for a number of reasons.  (of course they are always going to say it's about something else but it is almost always wanting more money for no other reason than they can)

No. All my bills are electronic.

Canada Post usually sucks anyway. I hate when Amazon has them deliver things. Slow, and packages come in bad shape a lot more often than they should

2 minutes ago, Stelar said:

lol, no man... it was joke. 

i know, but I still thought they print out those magazines when you can literally just get some of that within 4 clicks ;p

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

Today is the last day you may get mail for awhile.

From CTV:

So, will the possible strike/lock out affect you?

12 replies so far and only one went on the "workers bad/strike bad" train, pretty good ratio given your post says  "possible strike/lock out affect you?"

E mail in my location is very spotty due to terrible connectivity issues so I'm mostly a send it on paper guy. Parcel delivery must be Canada Post-nobody else will come this far out of town. I may save a lot of money by not being able to get my stereo toys sent for as few days.

Ordered a new phone.. I live quite a ways from a store to pick up from... And normally they deliver via puralator.. but because of where I live it ends up getting dropped off with Canada Post. My main issue is I ordered the phone 15 days ago.. and hasnt even been shipped yet.. ugh.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember having to do that when I moved away from home after I graduated high school in 1992 until internet payments became a thing in the late 90's- early 00's.  A cheque for each credit card, phone bill, electricity, rent, etc., etc.  It was a giant pain in the butt.

Now you can have whatever bills that you have debited right from your checking account or credit card.  For everything else, a few minutes on a some websites with your credit card in front of you and you're done for the month.

I may be middle aged but I do absolutely love technology.

Archived