The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers extend Ekblad - 8 yrs $7.5mil AAV

According to Jimmy Murphy of Dirty Water Media and confirmed by George Richards of the Miami Herald, Ekblad will sign an 8-year deal with a $7.5 million average annual value this summer. Richards said he doesn’t anticipate Ekblad signs the deal on July 1, but will do so “soon.” The deal was initially reported by Elliotte Friedman last week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/aaron-ekblad-panthers-agree-on-massive-8-year-extension-034253020.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

I mean.... I understand that it's not too much... but it feels like it's too much...

I mean he's been in the league for 2 years... Just seems high... The problem is, if you bridge him then sign him I guess it would be more... UFA at 28... Great player though, so I see why they did it.

16 minutes ago, MarkUnderscore said:

all around solid extension for all parties. Plus some bright eyed web or print sports news editor somewhere in florida gets to cheese a headline up with some use of "EkGlad".

Great deal for a future Norris calibre Dman if you're Florida.

No bridge, no fuss... I wonder why? 

The agent in me is pissed- I would have wanted 6m til UFA status kicks in (3 yrs). Then the kid would be making bank. Cap will go up and he's more than likely "the next Weber" so, ya.. you do the math. 

I'd say he got screwed out of $20m, minimum.

35 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Wow lol.  I know hes beastly just crazy to think his first deal is so much.  He's proven hes likely going to grow into that rare #1 stud.  Be good value if he continues to grow!

Nothing like making 60 million dollars in your first contract out of elc.  Just to put this in prospective..  He will be 28 when this deal is finished off.  Leaves room for him to make more if the game grows and the cap rises!  Can't believe a 20 yr old d man can land a 60 mill deal though out of elc lol.  

GOod investment though if he continues!

Archived