The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to Vancouver Loui Eriksson

PrinceGeorgeGoon

9 hours ago, Respek said:

I get different opinions and all that, but I honestly can't understand why people think we're gonna be this bad. I would be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs

It isn't just the make up of this team, it is that other teams in the division and conference are getting better faster and this team doesn't match up well now.

We all saw what happened in the playoffs two years ago, the whistle goes away and the game picks up a step or two. Calgary or more to the point, Ferland, ran the team out of the playoffs. One guy.

Does Benning think any of the "Jane's" he wants on defence will take that kind of hitting for very long?

Larsen was cut by Edmonton three years ago when their defence was really bad because he didn't like the rough stuff and couldn't move players out from the front of the net.

We know the Willie doesn't exactly line match so these "Jane's" would be seeing "Tarzan's" most shifts.

I apologize, kind of de-railing the thread here.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Not all of us want our team to fail

Agreed.

Some have gotten caught up in an "idea" and have convinced themselves its "the (only) way".  (Tanking, not adding pieces unless they're superstars under 25).  I remind them that the ultimate goal is the cup and you don't give up on that before you've even started.  People love to spew out how we won't this and that....but it's anyone's ballgame.  That's WHY we watch...because you just never know what team'll get hot at the right time.  Health, alone, is a huge factor and no one can predict that.  So you aim for the cup and tanking should never be the focus.  That's for a team that's given up and has a "maybe next year" mentality.  A loser's mentality.

Getting picks is the consolation prize.  Sure, it's a huge part of developing future success but you work in the here and now and keep that in mind, not driving you.  If you want to build a team of winners you instill that all along...you don't tell them they're losers but they'll get superheroes in the future who'll get them there.  You want THEM to believe THEY can do it.  Or at least that's how I feel it should be done.

So many here undercut our players...always have.  Those people truly don't understand how tough it is to win a cup or that the recipe for that isn't just "add these players and win".  Rebuilding doesn't offer a steady supply of what you need so you make decisions along the way in support of that.  You don't turn them away because you're waiting for the perfect fit...may never get it.  So you try different things and see what happens.  With Loui, I'm pretty happy with the possibilities.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It isn't just the make up of this team, it is that other teams in the division and conference are getting better faster and this team doesn't match up well now.

We all saw what happened in the playoffs two years ago, the whistle goes away and the game picks up a step or two. Calgary or more to the point, Ferland, ran the team out of the playoffs. One guy.

Does Benning think any of the "Jane's" he wants on defence will take that kind of hitting for very long?

Larsen was cut by Edmonton three years ago when their defence was really bad because he didn't like the rough stuff and couldn't move players out from the front of the net.

We know the Willie doesn't exactly line match so these "Jane's" would be seeing "Tarzan's" most shifts.

I apologize, kind of de-railing the thread here.

Larssen was not cut by Edmonton, I believe.  He chose to leave and go Europe, rather than play for edmonton.

On 02/07/2016 at 3:06 AM, StraightFlush said:

I hope this signing works out...I cringe to think that if he just isn't working with the Sedins he'll pull a vrbatman and disappear....for four years, and lose a good young forward to expansion. 

Ugh....six years....my instincts are telling me this is not gonna be pretty for two thirds of a contract. 

What the hell do I know?

Hopefully we only lose Kenins or something like that to expansion.  Better not be someone like Virtanen or Granlund.

Archived