The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Loui refuses to perform the duties necessary to fulfil his contract, then the Canucks will start the process of termination.  It will not get to this stage though.  Loui will retire before the Canucks put him on waivers.  No Swedish born (once top) player will play in the AHL.  

There's a first for everything Alf. He has 9 million reasons to report to Utica. The real question is does he want to retire. He certainly could go and collect the remaining 9m of his deal, he could retire, or he could request contract cancellation and become a UFA. That last option would likely require him believing he can get a UFA deal of at least a one year 3m to prove he's worth that or more on a subsequent deal. Thus making at least as much the next three years as he would on his current deal. It's all speculation what he, or the team, will do.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I just feel that, contract or not, we should get behind our players and try to cheer on a turnaround rather than bask in the glory of being right about someone's failure and shortcomings.

This is so important. The fans that mention they will boo when Loui is on the ice isn't fans of the Canucks. They think only about themselves.

When Loui is on another team they can boo all day long. But not as long he is a Canuck.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

This is so important. The fans that mention they will boo when Loui is on the ice isn't fans of the Canucks. They think only about themselves.

When Loui is on another team they can boo all day long. But not as long he is a Canuck.

You are not a Canuck fan. So you really don't get a say in what a Canuck fan can and can't do.

Thanks anyway.  :frantic:

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

There's a first for everything Alf. He has 9 million reasons to report to Utica. The real question is does he want to retire. He certainly could go and collect the remaining 9m of his deal, he could retire, or he could request contract cancellation and become a UFA. That last option would likely require him believing he can get a UFA deal of at least a one year 3m to prove he's worth that or more on a subsequent deal. Thus making at least as much the next three years as he would on his current deal. It's all speculation what he, or the team, will do.

Cancel his contract and become a UFA?  I didn’t know that was an option?  

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Want me to point them out?   They're there.

I hope Loui has a bounceback year and can shut up some of the naysayers if he is here.  I do get that he hasn't earned his keep, but he really DOES do a lot of little things that, if he doesn't, could change the slant of a game.

I just feel that, contract or not, we should get behind our players and try to cheer on a turnaround rather than bask in the glory of being right about someone's failure and shortcomings.  

As long as he's part of the team, I'm going to continue to cheer for him to do well.   Do I think it would be in everyone's best interest for him to move on?  Absolutely.

I kinda agree with you Deb. Any player who makes the NHL, let alone be a high end player like Ericksson, should be respected. Not much of that on these boards these days. I think a lot of it has to do with the money and quite frankly a bit of envy. I don't know what challenges Ericksson deals with and I doubt many on this board do either. There is the physical challenge of being a top athlete that is on the sunset of a career. The possible insecurity of what comes next. The expectations that surround players by their coaches, teammates, friends and yes families must be huge. 

IMHO Canuck management has to have a program where players are dealt with fairly but letting them know that the team comes first. Winning a CUP has to be the culture and individual players are part of that until they aren't. No regrets.    

• Upvote 2

On 7/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, Timråfan said:

Ok

If it's half his problem, where are the thousands negative posts about Benning regarding the contract?

It's really skewed

You haven’t seen all kinds of criticism of Benning over this contract? Maybe we occupy different universes. Pretty sure I have seen a ton spread around this site and in the local media.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You haven’t seen all kinds of criticism of Benning over this contract? Maybe we occupy different universes. Pretty sure I have seen a ton spread around this site and in the local media.

Not since I joined the forum. Benning has mild critics compared to Loui whom some will chase/force out of town.

Even the positive fans talking about Loui has to leave... Benning isn't even close to same amount of criticism.

Edited by Timråfan

22 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Not since I joined the forum. Benning has mild critics compared to Loui whom some will chase/force out of town.

Even the positive fans talking about Loui has to leave... Benning isn't even close to same amount of criticism.

Benning's signing of Eriksson was a mistake, but it's not the theme. He's had a few bad moves, but most of the rest of his tenure has been strong. Eriksson has largely been a disappointment from day one.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Did Benning go to the media and cry about Loui's contract,lack of effort and attitude since signing here? No,Benning has always said the right things in the media about Loui and all players since he's been here.

This is Louis problem,his lack of motivation and attitude (which is the last straw) is solely his fault,he is to blame!!

So if you think that I as a fan should support some lazy,entitled hockey player...dream on buddy.

It's time for you to get out of Loui's basement and get on with your life,you are not changing anyone's view on this situation...give up,it's kind of pathetic!!

• Upvote 1

I don't believe the Canucks will send Loui to Utica, he makes $6MM and he might actually show up. This would be a dick move by the Canucks, terrible for PR and maybe scares off potential players to come here. Can't see Loui retiring from the NHL. He feels he still has game and that teams could use him. 

I still believe there is a trade to be made. The Canucks will probably have to retain.

42 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Benning has been absolutely blasted for signing this contract for the 3 years he's been on this team. The fans have really only turned on Loui since he had that swedish interview this summer.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, goog16 said:

Benning has always said the right things in the media about Loui and all players since he's been here.

This is so wrong... I have only seen a few interviews by him and at least 2 he said things a GM never should say. Low or middle management maybe  but not the highest in Canuck management.

But a player you don't like... Off with his head...

• Wat 4

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't believe the Canucks will send Loui to Utica, he makes $6MM and he might actually show up. This would be a dick move by the Canucks, terrible for PR and maybe scares off potential players to come here. Can't see Loui retiring from the NHL. He feels he still has game and that teams could use him. 

I still believe there is a trade to be made. The Canucks will probably have to retain.

I think the two most likely options are a trade or he simply remains on the team as a bottom six/13th forward. I think sending him down is very unlikely as most of Utica's players are worse than Eriksson.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

No true....

Supported Eriksson through his struggles most of the time during his tenure i Vancouver, but lost a lot of respect for Eriksson, when he opened up his hurt heart in the press.

I don't care if he was misquoted, if there is a variation to, what he meant or whatever....

Eriksson should have kept his head down, mouth shut and tried to work through it instead. 

He is still a decent hockey player, but has not lived up to his 6 mill price tag. If Miller plays as disinterested as Eriksson, he will soon become boo boys target number 1. Its goes with territory of binge a high profile, well paid acquisition....

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

lost a lot of respect for Eriksson, when he opened up his hurt heart in the press.

I don't care if he was misquoted, if there is a variation to, what he meant or whatever....

Eriksson should have kept his head down, mouth shut and tried to work through it instead. 

He is still a decent hockey player, but has not lived up to his 6 mill price tag. If Miller plays as disinterested as Eriksson, he will soon become boo boys target number 1. Its goes with territory of binge a high profile, well paid acquisition....

First, Loui didn't open up a hurt heart. He just repeated what is seen. Green doesn't trust Loui as a top 6 forward with the players Canucks had before.

There is a lot of strange reactions to this interview. I must assume it is due to a very different culture between Canada and Sweden.

On the other hand, Benning shows up as an insecure leader and you guys accept that... The players should be made out of stone but the one who leads them fumbles and drop bad lines here and there.

• Wat 2

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

First, Loui didn't open up a hurt heart. He just repeated what is seen. Green doesn't trust Loui as a top 6 forward with the players Canucks had before.

There is a lot of strange reactions to this interview. I must assume it is due to a very different culture between Canada and Sweden.

On the other hand, Benning shows up as an insecure leader and you guys accept that... The players should be made out of stone but the one who leads them fumbles and drop bad lines here and there.

Do you think Loui will let you stay at his new house in Utica after all this free positive PR you are providing him? ;)

Just kidding Loui gonna pot 35g+

Spoiler

In the KHL

• Haha 3

I am so sick of Loui and his lacklustre play for 6 million per year. 6 million for a 4th line player is pathetic. Loui sure did not hold up his end of the contract....but then he has no skills anymore. He declined faster than the modern american empire with trump in charge.

Now I am sick of even thinking about Loui (and his 1 supporter).

Please make this has been go away Hockey Gods.  I will sacrifice Bettman to you, to make it happen.  :ph34r: