The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

I want him gone and I don't give a flying eff about his feelings as a person.  He's rich with a family, everything a man would want, time for him to do the right thing and let this team move on from that anchor of a contract.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

One problem for Louie is that we have players that are much better in the top line spots that he desires.

But the real problem is Loui, and here is why:

2014-2015 GP 81  Hits 29 with Boston

2015-2016 GP 82  Hits 22 with Boston

2016-2017 GP 65  Hits 11

2017-2018 GP 50  Hits 7

2018-2019 GP 81  Hits 3

It's not about the hitting exactly, Loui was never much for contact, it is about his increasing general level of disengagement - and that is what fans see. He doesn't pry pucks loose, he lets others do it.  He doesn't go to scoring areas, he lets others do it. He avoids contact, he lets other, less entitled guys do it. Penalty killing is mostly about positioning, and Loui is a smart guy,; he knows where to be and when.  Penalty killing is not about running around the ice initiating contact for most players, it is about discipline - and PK is a very happy circumstance for Loui - he doesn't have to chase and he doesn't have to initiate contact - that has become his game.  The thing that falls out of that, is that he doesn't create loose pucks, he doesn't get to scoring areas, and he sure as heck doesn't earn his 6 mil per.  A simple glance at the stat line above shows that when Loui got his big contract, he mostly retired to non-contact, oldtimer's league hockey. Unfortunately for the Canucks, they play in a full contact league.

I think the hitting thing is a red herring, as you're pointing out, he never really did that anyway. 

He must get to the net occasionally with 10 goals. And he did look pretty decent with Bo and Pearson.

Its interesting to take a look at where his scoring did come from:

Shots:

image.png.e6045e44942d4c0a55f0802ba4065832.png

Goals:

image.png

Edited by Jimmy McGill

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He needs a Utica wake up call. 

Loui needs to retire, which (after the learning experience of this summer) I believe he will do.  He’s old, slow, weak, and lost his hands,  it’s what happens as s guy ages.  He’s done as an NHL player.  The way he skates, I doubt he could play in the Swedish leave now too.

• Upvote 2

I don't see any other solution than to put him on waivers and send him to Utica.  $5 million of dead money for the next 3 years unfortunately.  Add that to Luongo's $3 million and we have $8 million in dead money for the next 3 years.  Luckily we are not Toronto and we have lots of ELC contracts coming onto the roster.  We just won't be active in free agency for a couple years.  We will be mostly focused on getting our prospects into the lineup.  Tryamkin, Juolevi, Woo, Brisebois, Podkolzin, Gaudette, Hoglander, MacEwen and Madden are guys that I am hoping can crack the lineup in the next 2 years which will greatly help our cap situation.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 3

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, -AJ- said:

Sure he has his reasons, but the hate against Loui has gone far beyond reasonable. Like @Jimmy McGill says, it's reasonable to be disappointed, but the slander and libel that's gone on since his comment has been absolutely brutal and over the top. You'd think after what happened with Botchford, some people would remember the human side of the game again, but it seems some things never change.

Botchford was a one-of-a-kind guy.  A fixture.  (Well, almost, it turns out, thus your point is very well taken.)  The guy had character and whit, and was the best of his kind of journalist in the west, maybe in Canada.  We were hard on him here sometimes, true, but I think we appreciated his willingness to put himself out there.

We kind of count on Benning (and Linden when he was here) to keep the human part up front.  

Benning has treated every single player here with respect.  Look at Higgins: sent to the minors, true.  Must have been hard on all concerned. Where is that sad sack now?

Back here. Like Burr will be, like the Sedins will be and are.  Almost certainly Benning and others in management kept in touch with Higgins and told him how much they appreciated his work here.  (He was very good his first 2 years, easy to forget this.) 

Benning will not abuse Eriksson.  And the fans will be the fans -- we will be a bit unfair.

If Benning wanted to play dirty he would send LE to Utica (ahead of time, as a bonus) and bad-mouth him.  I.e., worse than he treated Gagner. He would hope that LE got so worn down that he would opt out of his contract.  I mean, why should the Canucks eat salary to give him a chance to restart his career somewhere friendlier, or buy him out (ouch.)

But, I suspect Benning is going to find a way to move him for a player with an almost as bad contract, but shorter. Is this too generous?  Probably.  But this is why Benning has Ferland and Myers here, and Boeser, who, while lacking a contract, will find a way to play his best years here.  And probably why Podkolzin and Tryamkin will be joining the Canucks around the same time in a couple of years.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:39 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

tbh its like Loui's gone full Sean Avery or something the way people are talking.

Avery is a punk but he generally only hurt people's feelings with his filthy mouth.  A guy like Brad Marchand?  He actually goes out of his way to physically injure people.  Two whole different levels of slime.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Avery is a punk but he generally only hurt people's feelings with his filthy mouth.  A guy like Brad Marchand?  He actually goes out of his way to physically injure people.  Two whole different levels of slime.  

thats true. But Loui's just disappointing, thats pretty far from these two guys who have at least done things to deserve the hate. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. But Loui's just disappointing, thats pretty far from these two guys who have at least done things to deserve the hate. 

Loui crossed the line from being disappointing to bring s team cancer, when he started whining about how Coach Green was using him.  Wisebrod said the Canuck’s had been aware of Loui’s issues with coach Green from the start of last season.  A player, who is supposed to be s leader, that is complaining is way worse than just disappointing.  That’s a player who cannot come back into the room.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Loui crossed the line from being disappointing to bring s team cancer, when he started whining about how Coach Green was using him.  Wisebrod said the Canuck’s had been aware of Loui’s issues with coach Green from the start of last season.  A player, who is supposed to be s leader, that is complaining is way worse than just disappointing.  That’s a player who cannot come back into the room.  

I don't think it was all that terrible what Loui said:  he and the coach don't agree 100% (how many players and coaches do?) and he didn't think he got played as much as he should have.  Green said himself that he respects what Loui achieved in the past (which is why he's being paid $6 schmill), he understands Loui being frustrated, but that his job is to win games.  End of story.  Loui doesn't play, unless the team is decimated by injuries again and they get desperate.  No other GM in their right mind would trade for him, so he most likely goes to Utica.  No big deal.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
spelling

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really dislike the use of that word most of the time, its put out there way too much. Lots of guys have had problems with coaches - was Jake a "cancer" because he and Wilbrod didn't see eye to eye? 

Team cancer should be reserved for situations like Ottawa had where the room really was broken.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really dislike the use of that word most of the time, its put out there way too much. Lots of guys have had problems with coaches - was Jake a "cancer" because he and Wilbrod didn't see eye to eye? 

Team cancer should be reserved for situations like Ottawa had where the room really was broken.

Hard to scratch itch? :P.  Source of irritation?

More accurate descriptors 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jake was a young player trying to find his way.  Loui was a proven veteran, who was in a position of leadership.  He is now clearly a distraction, and cannot be back in our room.  

On 8/9/2019 at 7:50 PM, Alflives said:

Jake was a young player trying to find his way.  Loui was a proven veteran, who was in a position of leadership.  He is now clearly a distraction, and cannot be back in our room.  

Why do you think the Canuck hockeyplayers are childre?

They are adults and if Loui was a cancer in the dressing room a leader(Horvat) would step up and pour a bucket of cold water on him... Or something worse.

I think you're projecting...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Why do you think the Canuck hockeyplayers are childre?

They are adults and if Loui was a cancer in the dressing room a leader(Horvat) would step up and pour a bucket of cold water on him... Or something worse.

I think you're projecting...

Come camp Green (and the players too) will be asked a lot of questions about Loui.  That’s a distraction.  

Loui is learning he is no longer an NHL player.  He will retire before the Canucks send him to Utica.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Come camp Green (and the players too) will be asked a lot of questions about Loui.  That’s a distraction.  

Loui is learning he is no longer an NHL player.  He will retire before the Canucks send him to Utica.  

The questions can also weld the team together...

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

The questions can also weld the team together...

I think we can agree on both sides of this argument that things have been blown way out of proportion. As it was said, this was all stemming from comments LE made mid way through last season. Managment, coach, and player were all working through this issue behind the scenes. It was however LE's agent that made it public, why his agent decided to do that is beyond me. He lit a fire over something that was being worked on in a respectful manner. If anyone is to blame for all this it's his agent. Hopefully things can be mended and he can come back and prove himself, but with the damage done over the summer it will be hard for everyone to get over things. 

As for "welding" a team together, you could be right. If he came back with a good attitude, faced his teamates and says it's in the past and lets move forward, work his tail off and earn his spot on the roster then nobody will have complaints. So it could work if everyone is willing to forgive and forget.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I think we can agree on both sides of this argument that things have been blown way out of proportion. As it was said, this was all stemming from comments LE made mid way through last season. Managment, coach, and player were all working through this issue behind the scenes. It was however LE's agent that made it public, why his agent decided to do that is beyond me. He lit a fire over something that was being worked on in a respectful manner. If anyone is to blame for all this it's his agent. Hopefully things can be mended and he can come back and prove himself, but with the damage done over the summer it will be hard for everyone to get over things. 

As for "welding" a team together, you could be right. If he came back with a good attitude, faced his teamates and says it's in the past and lets move forward, work his tail off and earn his spot on the roster then nobody will have complaints. So it could work if everyone is willing to forgive and forget.

Did Loui’s agent say something publicly before Luoi’s comments to the Swedish reporter at the WHC?  I think Loui said stuff first, and then his agent took up the gauntlet on Loui’s request.  The agent would say anything in public without his client’s direction.  He’d get fired if he took that action without direction, don’t you think?