The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/eriksson-i-am-focused-on-playing-for-vancouver~1776435

I love he said he puts in his best efforts in every game. Like in what world because from what I've seen for the past 3 years is a guy that has put in zero effort and only showed to collect his money he really needs to go #LUTCIA 

Edited by CanucksCountry
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/eriksson-i-am-focused-on-playing-for-vancouver~1776435

I love he said he puts in his best efforts in every game. Like in what world because from what I've seen for the past 3 years is a guy that has put in zero effort and only showed to collect his money he really needs to go #LUTCIA 

Again you don't play as well defensively as he has the last three seasons by putting zero effort in. 

His offence has dried up but he's not lacking effort in the rest of his game. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again you don't play as well defensively as he has the last three seasons by putting zero effort in. 

His offence has dried up but he's not lacking effort in the rest of his game. 

Yea people have really been blinded by his pay check. If he was making half of what he does no one would be complaining.

His work on the pk and late in games definitely helped us win a few last season.

He just needs to bury more opportunities.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Wonder if we could get a luuuutica chant going if he really does have a horrible start.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yea people have really been blinded by his pay check. If he was making half of what he does no one would be complaining.

His work on the pk and late in games definitely helped us win a few last season.

He just needs to bury more opportunities.

If Roussel weren't injured, I think it would be really obvious that there is no place for LE in the starting lineup. (Ferland, Miller, Horvat, Pettersson, Pearson, Baertschi, Sutter, Virtanen all rank higher than LE in the depth chart, and Beagle, Leivo and Motte are not likely to be sent down/traded. Gaudette keeps getting better and we have a new player in Perron who could very well make the team. MacEwen too, is not a longshot to start.)  Loui is old for an NHLer; and he has a LOT of competition here.  I think he is done.

Media people have suggested lately, however, that LE "will have to live up to his paycheck" now that Boeser is out, due to RFA negotiations. They genuinely see him as a potential replacement for Boeser or at least as someone who has to rise to the occasion now that we appear to be short-handed.  I am very skeptical that LE fills in for Boeser in any way.  His most likely trajectory is toward Utica, either at the start of the season or later when either Roussel returns or Gaudette pots a few goals in the same month.

Loui's comments over the summer together with the recent signings along with the natural growth of players like Virtanen, Gaudette and MacEwen makes Loui's survival on the big team highly unlikely.   I can see Green quietly recommending to Benning at the end of pre-season that MacEwen and Perron played better than LE and deserve to start.    

I forgot the other signing: Goldobin.  He is due to have a good pre-season, yet more competition for LE.

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gameburn said:

If Roussel weren't injured, I think it would be really obvious that there is no place for LE in the starting lineup. (Ferland, Miller, Horvat, Pettersson, Pearson, Baertschi, Sutter, Virtanen all rank higher than LE in the depth chart, and Beagle, Leivo and Motte are not likely to be sent down/traded. Gaudette keeps getting better and we have a new player in Perron who could very well make the team. MacEwen too, is not a longshot to start.)  Loui is old for an NHLer; and he has a LOT of competition here.  I think he is done.

Media people have suggested lately, however, that LE "will have to live up to his paycheck" now that Boeser is out, due to RFA negotiations. They genuinely see him as a potential replacement for Boeser or at least as someone who has to rise to the occasion now that we appear to be short-handed.  I am very skeptical that LE fills in for Boeser in any way.  His most likely trajectory is toward Utica, either at the start of the season or later when either Roussel returns or Gaudette pots a few goals in the same month.

Loui's comments over the summer together with the recent signings along with the natural growth of players like Virtanen, Gaudette and MacEwen makes Loui's survival on the big team highly unlikely.   I can see Green quietly recommending to Benning at the end of pre-season that MacEwen and Perron played better than LE and deserve to start.    

I forgot the other signing: Goldobin.  He is due to have a good pre-season, yet more competition for LE.

Yeah I have a hard time seeing where he fits in our top 13 and that's without MacEwan, Bailey, Gaudette etc pushing for spots as you noted.

He might have a spot as the spare should Boeser continue to hold out or if there's further injuries...otherwise short of him having a miraculous revival in his play... I don't see where he fits.

Added to all this, it actually helps our cap situation for signing Boeser to demote guys making $1,075,000 or more on the edge of the roster vs guys making less than that (ie: Motte, Goldobin, Fantenberg or Biega).

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

in a vacuum I think Loui still has more utility and bigger skill set than Motte and even Leivo, but with the new-look top 6 and need for space for Baer, Sutter, Jake, Beagle, Roussel and Goldy,  Loui's the odd guy out. There's no use putting him in as the 13th F either. 

I think Loui's decline has been overblown and given too much personal blame. I do think the guy is trying. But as you point out, the fit is hard to see. 

It's a ridiculous idea to say Gaudette, Schaller, or Motte are better than LE. Eriksson only sucks because he's making 3M too much AAV

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It's a ridiculous idea to say Gaudette, Schaller, or Motte are better than LE. Eriksson only sucks because he's making 3M too much AAV

I certainly think Gaudette CAN be better at some point, maybe even next year but not today. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If he was making half of what he does no one would be complaining.

But he's not thus the complaining that is extremely warranted.

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Not it's not.  Schaller sucked no question but Motte on the defensive end is a comparable and Gaudette can be as good as Loui within the year if giving the opportunity, it's not as far fetch as you make it out to be.  It's not just his caphit, it's pretty clear he's checked out.  Sure he may come in and go through the motions and his teammates will spit out the usual soundbites but if his head is not in it he is stealing a roster space from someone that could develop into his role at a much cheaper rate.  Something we all can relate is when a co-worker is not pulling their weight it affects everyone negatively.  

45 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

But he's not thus the complaining that is extremely warranted.

Not it's not.  Schaller sucked no question but Motte on the defensive end is a comparable and Gaudette can be as good as Loui within the year if giving the opportunity, it's not as far fetch as you make it out to be.  It's not just his caphit, it's pretty clear he's checked out.  Sure he may come in and go through the motions and his teammates will spit out the usual soundbites but if his head is not in it he is stealing a roster space from someone that could develop into his role at a much cheaper rate.  Something we all can relate is when a co-worker is not pulling their weight it affects everyone negatively.  

Its not clear he's checked out. That's called speculation, not fact. And I disagree... Gaudette has promise but he hasn't even come close to LEs measly production

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I have a hard time seeing where he fits in our top 13 and that's without MacEwan, Bailey, Gaudette etc pushing for spots as you noted.

He might have a spot as the spare should Boeser continue to hold out or if there's further injuries...otherwise short of him having a miraculous revival in his play... I don't see where he fits.

Added to all this, it actually helps our cap situation for signing Boeser to demote guys making $1,075,000 or more on the edge of the roster vs guys making less than that (ie: Motte, Goldobin, Fantenberg or Biega).

Hadn't realized Cap would work that way, but it sounds right.  

On the positive side: the LE signing is going to be remembered around here for a century; which has to be useful for present and future GMs.  A bit like the British Foreign Office's motto that lasted for a century, "avoid a land war in Asia."   Ours: "avoid long-term contracts for all UFAs 30 or more years of age."  

On 9/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, King Heffy said:

What about if we're down a goal in the third though?  Petey wants to be a 200 foot player.  If he's up for it, I'm all for teaching him, but picking our spots as to when he's utilized.

I have to agree with Alf, we don't need our superstar blocking shots on the PK

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with a trip to Utica for this player..  there are others who can outperform him offensively and defensively.

All money aside,  Eriksson on this team is stopping the advancement of another players development, or player worthy of his position.

He or the Canucks should not feel any privilege in this situation.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 3

Luckily, the Canucks don't have to pay Virtanen, Hughes, Pettersson, Goldobin  etc., big dollars yet. Yes, Loui is overpaid, but he could still be a pretty good 4th Line and PK player. Forget how much he's paid, like we try to forget where Jake was drafted.

• Upvote 2