The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Loui is not the player he once was but don’t forget he used to consistently put up 30 goals and 70 points a season, without ever being a flashy play driver. He got all those goals mainly by being smart and at the right place at the right time. 

Buried on a gritty, blue collar 4th line getting 5-10 min a game he’s never gonna put up numbers, though he’ll still do a professional job. With Bo on the second line at least he’s got the opportunity and lo and behold, he’s not doing too bad. 

Don’t know why people on here have such a grudge against Loui. Seems like a nice fellow. Not his fault the Canucks gave him a big contract. And he’s a hockey player, he wants to play hockey,

Edited by Skip Spence
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skip Spence said:

Loui is not the player he once was but don’t forget he used to consistently put up 30 goals and 70 points a season, without ever being a flashy play driver. He got all those goals mainly by being smart and at the right place at the right time. 

Buried on a gritty, blue collar 4th line getting 5-10 min a game he’s never gonna put up numbers, though he’ll still do a professional job. With Bo on the second line at least he’s got the opportunity and lo and behold, he’s not doing too bad. 

Don’t know why people on here have such a grudge against Loui. Seems like a nice fellow. Not his fault the Canucks gave him a big contract. And he’s a hockey player, he wants to play hockey,

$6,000,000 a year is why.

But then it was the Swedish complaint in the newspaper.

If Eriksson on the second line works, I’m all for it.

Edited by Me_

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Bo has 7 points in his last 5 games. That's far above his last 5 years. He's playing the best he's ever played in his career right now and his one of his wingers happens to be Loui Eriksson. At the very least, it's clear Eriksson isn't dragging Bo or that line down.

Horvat had 9 points in 5 games between October 20 and October 30. I don’t recall empty net Loui playing on his wing during that time. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Skip Spence said:

Never in his career has he been a consistent 30 goal scorer. Hes just never been this bad

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Bo has 7 points in his last 5 games. That's far above his last 5 years. He's playing the best he's ever played in his career right now and his one of his wingers happens to be Loui Eriksson. At the very least, it's clear Eriksson isn't dragging Bo or that line down.

I think you give Loui a little too much credit.  While his stats have been better in the last several games, I agree with the other posters that think Bo doesn't need Loui, and, the Loui should never be on the 2nd line.  The numbers are just bad for a second liner with good minutes [2 non-empty net goals all year].  Without the empty netters, he would have a total of 4 points and I think at least one of those was from an empty netter [too lazy to look it up], . . . you can't make this stuff up.  BTW, looks like Green agrees Mott should get a chance when he benched Loui and put Mott with Bo.  Didn't score but was a LOT faster and looked more dangerous.

3 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

I think you give Loui a little too much credit.  While his stats have been better in the last several games, I agree with the other posters that think Bo doesn't need Loui, and, the Loui should never be on the 2nd line.  The numbers are just bad for a second liner with good minutes [2 non-empty net goals all year].  Without the empty netters, he would have a total of 4 points and I think at least one of those was from an empty netter [too lazy to look it up], . . . you can't make this stuff up.  BTW, looks like Green agrees Mott should get a chance when he benched Loui and put Mott with Bo.  Didn't score but was a LOT faster and looked more dangerous.

I already mentioned your fallacious way of representing Loui's production. He hasn't been on the second line all year and don't pretend he has. I'm not going to sit here and argue that he's definitely the best option for our second line, because I'm not convinced of that. It's very possible that Leivo or Virtanen could be better--that said, I don't think there's a good case that he's a problem on that line either. I think a lot of people are blinded by the past and can't evaluate without Loui's bad play from other years obscuring their judgement of his current play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

From 2008 to 2012, Eriksson scored 118 goals in 325 games. That's 0.363 goals-per-game, which equals an average of 29.77 goals in 82 games.

So you're right, he wasn't a consistent 30-goal scorer. He was a consistent 29.77-goal scorer.

But I'm not wrong

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Something about this man is motivating the shhhh out of horvat. Keep up the hard work. Also less not forget loui first goal as a Canuck :ph34r: he was just letting us know what we were in store for.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt9KxLBfB50

IMO, this goal was Gudbranson's inability to skate well, and bad hands to boot.  Just sayin ...  And he made up for it and passed it to a guy, that could actually receive passes, Pearson (assist on 100 career goal).  And it so happens he's the guy Gudbranson was traded for. LOL.

Edited by iBlueGreen

Eriksson is certainly carving a role for himself as a decent defensive forward at the moment. He's not fast anymore and not racking up any real 5-on-5 points, but he's turning Horvat's line into a shut-down line.

I think this is nice at the moment as the top line is scoring and we're getting contributions from our D and 3rd line mainly, but long-term we need our 2nd line to produce. Whether Leivo or Virtanen is the answer, I think when we run into scoring problems the first move will be to put Eriksson with Sutter to make a solid shutdown 3rd line and maybe move Virtanen up to play with Horvat and Pearson.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Eriksson is certainly carving a role for himself as a decent defensive forward at the moment. He's not fast anymore and not racking up any real 5-on-5 points, but he's turning Horvat's line into a shut-down line.

I think this is nice at the moment as the top line is scoring and we're getting contributions from our D and 3rd line mainly, but long-term we need our 2nd line to produce. Whether Leivo or Virtanen is the answer, I think when we run into scoring problems the first move will be to put Eriksson with Sutter to make a solid shutdown 3rd line and maybe move Virtanen up to play with Horvat and Pearson.

Most teams are moving away from a shut down 3rd line to wanting production.  That would mean Eriksson would go to the 4th as a line to play defensive minutes imo.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Most teams are moving away from a shut down 3rd line to wanting production.  That would mean Eriksson would go to the 4th as a line to play defensive minutes imo.

Does LE have the foot speed to play effectively on our fourth line?  Motte and Beagle can both skate well enough to get in hard on the forecheck.  I guess LE could be the guy who hangs back?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does LE have the foot speed to play effectively on our fourth line?  Motte and Beagle can both skate well enough to get in hard on the forecheck.  I guess LE could be the guy who hangs back?  

The fancy stats people are the ones saying Beagle is getting buried when he is on the ice.

Maybe the 4th line needs to be Motte, Sutter, and LE.  

I like Beagle but maybe JB needs to move him.  Or we keep both Sutter and Beagle for the inevitable injuries and depth.  Lots of decisions for JB to make once Leivo and Ferland get back (if they both get back).

Coach Green obviously trusts these guys to go out in the last minutes in a tight game to hold the lead

People like to poke fun at the empty net goals. I see a team that isn't squandering late leads and is getting the 2 points. This line has had a lot to do with that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't know how you justify this statement

since Loui joined BO and Pearson 12 games ago, Bo has 14 points while Pearson has 13 pts.

they each have 1 Power Play point,(not playing with Loui)  they have picked up a few empty net points but Loui was involved with those

Still 2/3 of that line are scoring at +1ppg over the last 12 games, while Loui has .5 ppg

edit, see Jimmy's post^

with 6 empty net goals they are scoring at +.5ppg 5v5 

I think this is what is called a 200 foot game

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1