The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

there are  more than a few bad  contracts out there like LE, that teams want to get rid of. they are mostly older players who don't know when to quit, to me it is selfish to the teams and selfish for the young kids  who have been waiting for a chance to play. 

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, but I assume their bodies has some health issues that may cause problems later.

what about just burning out and not being effective? Loui was signed to score 20+ goals per year. He never has and never will do that. He's earned 31/36 mil. It would be decent of him to just move on, since he'll probably be bought out anyway next year. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

what about just burning out and not being effective? Loui was signed to score 20+ goals per year. He never has and never will do that. He's earned 31/36 mil. It would be decent of him to just move on, since he'll probably be bought out anyway next year. 

I hear a lot about anchor contracts. Or take Luongos.

These contracts are out there and the one thing Benning should know is to not sign them even if we have cap space. 

• Cheers 1

It is what it is.

No need to denigrate the player or team management.

Let's see what unfolds.

We don't even know if there will be a season this year or how it will be structured.

And maybe Louie has a rebound year and really helps the team.

All this bashing and banishing and assuming is counterproductive.

Let it be.

Go Bo Go!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Great post.  If I was Benning I would waive him and send him to Utica for the next two years.  If that $5 million or $4 million or whatever it is is that important to him then he should have to earn it by riding buses every week and actually playing big minutes on the top line in Utica for the next 2 years.  It's really nice weather in Utica in the winter time as well.

If he is actually dumb enough to do this then he fully deserves that extra few million.  Or if he actually has a brain he would do like you said and move back to Sweden to run his restaurants and spend the $61 million he has earned playing in the NHL.

I like most of your posts Petey, but I don't agree with this one.  I mean I agree that if Eriksson can't be traded, and that seems to be the case, he should be sent down to the minors to play meaningful minutes there.  Where I don't agree is that it is a torture to play 2nd tier professional hockey.  Maybe certain big egos can't handle it but many NHL players have done it.  I don't know about you but I'd jump at the chance to ride the buses and earn $5 million for playing hockey.  Playing big minutes on the top line would make it more fun not less.  In fact I'd probably do it for $1 million, no matter how much money I had made previously.  Ah heck, who am I kidding, I'd do it for a lot less.  Some people actually like playing the game and don't see it as 100% business.  I don't blame Loui for the contract he signed.  I'd sign that contract too.  I do hold him accountable for the effort he's put in, so that's why he should be playing in Utica.  Oh, and by the way, some people actually like winter and snow and stuff like that.  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I like most of your posts Petey, but I don't agree with this one.  I mean I agree that if Eriksson can't be traded, and that seems to be the case, he should be sent down to the minors to play meaningful minutes there.  Where I don't agree is that it is a torture to play 2nd tier professional hockey.  Maybe certain big egos can't handle it but many NHL players have done it.  I don't know about you but I'd jump at the chance to ride the buses and earn $5 million for playing hockey.  Playing big minutes on the top line would make it more fun not less.  In fact I'd probably do it for $1 million, no matter how much money I had made previously.  Ah heck, who am I kidding, I'd do it for a lot less.  Some people actually like playing the game and don't see it as 100% business.  I don't blame Loui for the contract he signed.  I'd sign that contract too.  I do hold him accountable for the effort he's put in, so that's why he should be playing in Utica.  Oh, and by the way, some people actually like winter and snow and stuff like that.  Go Canucks Go!

What about if you're sent down and it's made clear that the coach is under specific instruction to never let you waste a single minute of ice time?  Still excited to be riding the bus and practicing while players who actually have the desire to be NHLers are given their shot, and you're used as an example of what happens when you're a lazy floater who refuses to put in the work necessary to succeed?

Edited by King Heffy

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

hat about if you're sent down and it's made clear that the coach is under specific instruction to never let you waste a single minute of ice time?

That would put the team at the wrong end of a lawsuit, costing considerably more than Loui's remaining money.

NHLPA or Loui would file, and the league would probably add a significant fine on top of any legal settlement/award.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Niskanen. 

Yeah he was playing well. His team winning?

People have families.  It is courageous to give up a $5 mill contract, or whatever it was?  So you dont have to live in a bubble away from your family.

Then you have the Byfugliens of the world.  Pass your physical. Albeit, in the past anyway, sadly out of shape. Not show up for camp, go fishing. Then use the PA to sue the team to pay you on medical grounds?  :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

That would put the team at the wrong end of a lawsuit, costing considerably more than Loui's remaining money.

NHLPA or Loui would file, and the league would probably add a significant fine on top of any legal settlement/award.

Highly doubt it's written in his contract that if he's sent down to the AHL he has to play.  There are limited slots for veterans in the AHL, so it would make sense to not waste one on a lazy piece of trash instead of giving guys who could be useful NHLers the minutes.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Highly doubt it's written in his contract that if he's sent down to the AHL he has to play.  There are limited slots for veterans in the AHL, so it would make sense to not waste one on a lazy piece of trash instead of giving guys who could be useful NHLers the minutes.

Every player, regardless of money is allowed equal opportunity to win a spot.

To deliberately say "Loui, you will not play" would  likely be considered "punitive and arbitrary" by a arbitrator or a judge.

The league would smack the Canucks most likely similar to what they just did to Arizona.

Why lose draft picks and money for doing something stupid.

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What about if you're sent down and it's made clear that the coach is under specific instruction to never let you waste a single minute of ice time?  Still excited to be riding the bus and practicing while players who actually have the desire to be NHLers are given their shot, and you're used as an example of what happens when you're a lazy floater who refuses to put in the work necessary to succeed?

They don’t have to give any “specific” instructions not to play Loui.  Just make it clear that it is a development league so his playing time will likely be really limited as the prospects the ice time... but both teams expect him to be at all the practices and continue to remain in playing shape in case he is ever needed.

There are plenty of ways to make it miserable for him.

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

And now we talk about situations that can make a great player put us on NTC-list. 

A great player, or even a player who gave a rats ass about playing like an actual NHLer, wouldn't have been a useless floater necessitating moving them to a more appropriate league for their effort level.  Any player who is considering disgracing our jersey as badly as this lazy piece of garbage has is someone I don't want anywhere near our organization.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

And now we talk about situations that can make a great player put us on NTC-list. 

Not even remotely.  There are limited roster spots and ice time.  No one wants it to be more merit based than players.

You know what stops players from signing with you?  Keeping a player on the roster ahead of you for six years when he has been outplayed by younger and better players for almost all of it.

No player or agent would believe anything other than he didn’t live up to his end of the contract.  We even let his agent try to find a landing spot for him and no teams had any interest.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I just said that I would do it.  And I would probably enjoy it.  Maybe others would too.  How Eriksson theoretically responds is up to him.  There's a whole lot of very specific speculation here that I don't think is meaningful.  Go Canucks Go!

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

I only get paid $925,000 and I play on the top line in Vancouver and am being compared to Gretzky. I have no sympathy for Loui whatsoever. :)

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I only get paid $925,000 and I play on the top line in Vancouver and am being compared to Gretzky. I have no sympathy for Loui whatsoever. :)

What, did he kick your dog or something?  Put a tack in your unicycle tire?  Eriksson is an underperforming very well paid pro hockey player.  Not much sympathy needed but you don't have to hate the guy for aging out of contention either.  We all slow down at various rates.   Though I suppose I was in a way suggesting him for the first line...

... in Utica.  That's not exactly singing his praises.  He clearly isn't performing well enough to be part of the Canucks.  We don't have to hate on someone to come to that realization.  I don't even really blame Benning all that much.  Eriksson was the best free agent available at the time and Benning was trying to improve the team.  He paid a little too much perhaps but not terribly out of line with UFAs.  It only really looks bad in hindsight.  It was a mistake.  It happens.  We just have to move on as soon as possible.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win