The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Problem with Messier wasn't so much his lazy and piss-poor play on the ice, it was his absolutely disgraceful conduct away from it.  The franchise could easily relocated due to the damage that piece of **** did to its reputation. 

That's opinion. I had more of a problem with Mogilny's play than Messier. I thought Messier was ok on the ice. As I said, he was simply past his best before date. But Mogilny you never new from game to game if the 50 scorer would show up or the coaster. The team as a whole underperformed. But when you look at the roster I thought they underperformed the year before Messier as well. I felt the team needed a shake up and adding a declining Messier wasn't the answer. Was it a mistake signing Messier? You bet, in the context I just gave. I thought Messier was a mistake before he stepped on the ice. I don't blame Messier for the team underperforming and losing money hand over fist. That was already happening. I blame management for not doing a full blown shake up rather than signing Messier. Then management made another mistake - hiring Keenan. Messier pushed to hire Keenan and management listened. Another mistake as far as I was concerned. You can blame Messier if you want but I put it all on management and their series of bad choices. Media created the Linden/Messier captain controversy not Linden or Messier themselves. Management made it worse by not addressing the captaincy as soon as they signed Messier but left it to Linden himself to sort out with Messier. Then Keenan piled onto the controversy and made it worse. That's why I don't have the hatred of Messier many do.

But as I previously mentioned, those mistakes led to a change in management and moves that led to a pair of great eras for the team. So maybe it had to happen to right a ship that was already sinking..

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

That's opinion. I had more of a problem with Mogilny's play than Messier. I thought Messier was ok on the ice. As I said, he was simply past his best before date. But Mogilny you never new from game to game if the 50 scorer would show up or the coaster. The team as a whole underperformed. But when you look at the roster I thought they underperformed the year before Messier as well. I felt the team needed a shake up and adding a declining Messier wasn't the answer. Was it a mistake signing Messier? You bet, in the context I just gave. I thought Messier was a mistake before he stepped on the ice. I don't blame Messier for the team underperforming and losing money hand over fist. That was already happening. I blame management for not doing a full blown shake up rather than signing Messier. Then management made another mistake - hiring Keenan. Messier pushed to hire Keenan and management listened. Another mistake as far as I was concerned. You can blame Messier if you want but I put it all on management and their series of bad choices. Media created the Linden/Messier captain controversy not Linden or Messier themselves. Management made it worse by not addressing the captaincy as soon as they signed Messier but left it to Linden himself to sort out with Messier. Then Keenan piled onto the controversy and made it worse. That's why I don't have the hatred of Messier many do.

But as I previously mentioned, those mistakes led to a change in management and moves that led to a pair of great eras for the team. So maybe it had to happen to right a ship that was already sinking..

Not going to go into all of it, but as far as the captain controversy it wasn’t “Media driven”. Linden himself acknowledged it, stating he offered the C to Messier as a gesture of goodwill and thought Messier would graciously decline. Everyone including Linden was shocked when Mess jumped at the opportunity.

Just from what Eriksson was when he was in Dallas and to a lesser extent Boston and forget about the years he had here. I just want to see what happens if Eriksson is lined up alongside Pettersson.Maybe Pettersson can get him going enough to warrant a team to take him on?

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

Just from what Eriksson was when he was in Dallas and to a lesser extent Boston and forget about the years he had here. I just want to see what happens if Eriksson is lined up alongside Pettersson.Maybe Pettersson can get him going enough to warrant a team to take him on?

Petey can't fix Loui's shot, which is gone. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

Loui was Mr Garbage goals. The amount of rebounds Petey and Brock or Miller can generated. It'll be Christmas for the guy every game.

but you need good hands and reaction time to be good at that, Loui hasn't had it for years now. He's still solid defensively and is a good passer, which is why he had ~0.5ppg when on a line with Bo and Pearson but thats about as good as he's ever going to be now. 

16 hours ago, smokes said:

It was tried when Petey was a rookie.  Goldobin worked harder and played better on that line.

• Cheers 1

On 11/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, smokes said:

Eriksson's previous success came more when playing with a hard working, two way C. Horvat's likely closer to that description than Pettersson.

Unfortunately, as Jimmy pointed out, some of the skills and abilities that made him that player, have simply diminished and no longer apply.

Frankly I hope we see how badly he wants the rest of his $5m. Away from his family, riding buses in/around Utica in the middle of a pandemic, in the excited states of america and playing to small, empty stadiums.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Eriksson's previous success came more when playing with a hard working, two way C. Horvat's likely closer to that description than Pettersson.

Unfortunately, as Jimmy pointed out, some of the skills and abilities that made him that player, have simply diminished and no longer apply.

Frankly I hope we see how badly he wants the rest of his $5m. Away from his family, riding buses in/around Utica in the middle of a pandemic, in the excited states of america and playing to small, empty stadiums.

I just can't see Benning risking losing someone on waivers, even if its a remote risk, to keep Loui up with the big club. I don't think the Aqulini will be upset argument applies much here either, given how well the team did in the playoffs without Loui. Its not comparable to the Gagner mistake imo.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2

On 11/20/2020 at 10:11 AM, Baggins said:

this is a very reasoned post, unlike so many posters believe the Canucks can do no wrong and that other GMs are stupid.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:56 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

Not going to go into all of it, but as far as the captain controversy it wasn’t “Media driven”. Linden himself acknowledged it, stating he offered the C to Messier as a gesture of goodwill and thought Messier would graciously decline. Everyone including Linden was shocked when Mess jumped at the opportunity.

Speaking of Canucks doing no wrong. Linden was painted as a saint before he came in a Pres. How would you feel if you were in Messier's spot^? The Captain of your new team "Offers" you the C, but not really. With all the continued talk about the Canucks being a "class" orginisation and Linden being "All World" class,  this paints Linden in a very poor light. What if this happened on your kid's team or in your job? Would you respect those who act in this way? It is oxymoronic to think there is such thing as an insincere goodwill gesture. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, smokes said:

How dumb do you think other GMs are?

-NEWS FLASH-

Loui Ericksson has sucked for 4 years and is on the wrong side of 35. Maybe we should also give him the "C" so other teams think he is our true leader?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, lmm said:

Speaking of Canucks doing no wrong. Linden was painted as a saint before he came in a Pres. How would you feel if you were in Messier's spot^? The Captain of your new team "Offers" you the C, but not really. With all the continued talk about the Canucks being a "class" orginisation and Linden being "All World" class,  this paints Linden in a very poor light. What if this happened on your kid's team or in your job? Would you respect those who act in this way? It is oxymoronic to think there is such thing as an insincere goodwill gesture. 

How would I feel? I would recognize it as an attempt to make me feel welcome in the new locker room. I would also realize that I have no relationships with anyone in the room and that becoming a leader in a room with a group of guys who have no reason to follow me is foolish at best, arrogant at worst. Then I would decline the offer, knowing that if I were meant to be captain I’d earn the role eventually.

and Linden wasn’t upset about Messier taking the C so much as surprised. I would also think it would make him question Messiers fit as a leader of this group, but that’s just me theorizing. It was more the fans that were angry. I have seen anything suggesting any of the players verbalizing dissent. 

• Vintage 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:19 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He already had some shifts in the top six this past post-season.  0 goals, 0 assists, 0 total points.  

Can still play effective defensively but you get more offense playing Demko as a forward.

Can we see this just to like... see this? One caveat though, Demko has to keep all of his goalie gear on when scoring the goals.

• Haha 2

Well, I post something positive about him now. Don't read if you dislike him. B)

"He (Eriksson) has a tip around the opponent's goal with nice wrists and a good reaction ability. He is good at controlling the pucks and has a fast game perception. There is a lot of good in him that makes him score a lot of points with us (in Tre Kronor), explains the assistant national team captain Johan Garpenlöv.
- We in Sweden also do not have very many who take that job in front of the opponent's goal. He does it incredibly well and then you get a lot of time in powerplay as well."(thanks to Google)

https://hockeysverige.se/2019/05/18/loui-eriksson-battre-an-zata-och-alfie

• Cheers 1