The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

As frustrating as Loui's play can be, he's still performing better than last year, which is all I ask of him at the start of the year. To make it easier to see, I've pro-rated his last two seasons below to 82 games each:

2016-17: 82 games, 14 goals, 16 assists, 30 points

2017-18: 82 games, 16 goals, 24 assists, 40 points

Definitely still not worth $6M per year, but at least it's something.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

As frustrating as Loui's play can be, he's still performing better than last year, which is all I ask of him at the start of the year. To make it easier to see, I've pro-rated his last two seasons below to 82 games each:

2016-17: 82 games, 14 goals, 16 assists, 30 points

2017-18: 82 games, 16 goals, 24 assists, 40 points

Definitely still not worth $6M per year, but at least it's something.

are you his agent ?
that is terrible horrible distorted use of math to inflate his production

you wish to credit him with production in games he has already missed and cannot possibly make up

he has 20 points in 41 games and has missed 12 games

based on his production so far this year, and assuming he will not miss any more games

he is on pace for :

13.5 goals, 20,5 assists, 34 points

last season his actual production was

11 goals, 13 assists, 24 points

combined, last season and this season, he was/will be paid $16 million dollars

top paid player on the team over those 2 years

and it is no guarantee that he will produce 34 points this year as a lot of his production occurred over a shorter span of games

a long long time ago . well it feels like it anyway

so reality is actually considerably worse

then what you were suggesting theoretically for 6 million per ..

Edited by coastal.view

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

are you his agent ?
that is terrible horrible distorted use of math to inflate his production

you wish to credit him with production in games he has already missed and cannot possibly make up

he has 20 points in 41 games and has missed 12 games

based on his production so far this year, and assuming he will not miss any more games

he is on pace for :

13.5 goals, 20,5 assists, 34 points

last season his actual production was

11 goals, 13 assists, 24 points

combined, last season and this season, he was/will be paid $16 million dollars

top paid player on the team over those 2 years

and it is no guarantee that he will produce 34 points this year as a lot of his production occurred over a shorter span of games

a long long time ago . well it feels like it anyway

so reality is actually considerably worse

then what you were suggesting theoretically for 6 million per ..

It's not distorted at all, it's just standard pro-rating, done in a large number of disciplines to get a better picture of statistics. I never said he was worth his cap hit (I don't care about actual salary, it means almost nothing to the team in comparison to the significance of cap hit). In fact, I said "Definitely still not worth $6M per year". I don't see how you can argue that he's done worse. He currently has 20 points in 41 games and had 24 in 65 games last year, so unless you expect him to get less than four points in the next 24 games, he's going to get more points. 

To your question of 6 million per, given Loui's ability to play defense, I'd say about 60-70 points per year would cover it.

• Cheers 1

Yes, we can all agree, worst signing by Benning by a mile and I don't see how we get out of it without buying him out which would be expensive.

But here is where I am really confused.  As I understand it, when you are negotiating with the player/agent the two biggest issues are term and $'s, then maybe NTC or whatever as the final sweetener if warranted.  So Eriksson got maximum $'s PLUS he got maximum term, AND he got the sweetener.  Doesn't make any sense he got it all based on the facts.  So then you have to look at the player to see what you are missing, because there must have been something very special about this guy right.  

He had been in the league for 10 years and was 31 when we signed him, and had just come off his best year in 4, hitting 30 goals and 63 points, but the previous 3 years had been much lower.  So you have to ask, was this just a peak year, only ever exceeded once before and that was in 2010 or is this what you might expect.  Well if you figure he had averaged 21 goals and 50 points per season you have to say it was a contract year exception and Benning should have know this.  And that average is very distorted because of the peak years 3 - 7, where he had 118 of his goals.

And he definitely knew he was signing a 31 year old player, likely past his peak that might start to decline in production overall, which of course he did.  So I ask again, how do you justify the huge $'s AND huge term AND sweetener?  And as I have said before, a $6M/6 yr term is not a placeholder.  He went so far out on the limb with this signing and boxed himself in by making him untradeable.  So while I love a lot of things JB has done, this is off the charts bad.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Yes, we can all agree, worst signing by Benning by a mile and I don't see how we get out of it without buying him out which would be expensive.

But here is where I am really confused.  As I understand it, when you are negotiating with the player/agent the two biggest issues are term and $'s, then maybe NTC or whatever as the final sweetener if warranted.  So Eriksson got maximum $'s PLUS he got maximum term, AND he got the sweetener.  Doesn't make any sense he got it all based on the facts.  So then you have to look at the player to see what you are missing, because there must have been something very special about this guy right.  

He had been in the league for 10 years and was 31 when we signed him, and had just come off his best year in 4, hitting 30 goals and 63 points, but the previous 3 years had been much lower.  So you have to ask, was this just a peak year, only ever exceeded once before and that was in 2010 or is this what you might expect.  Well if you figure he had averaged 21 goals and 50 points per season you have to say it was a contract year exception and Benning should have know this.  And that average is very distorted because of the peak years 3 - 7, where he had 118 of his goals.

And he definitely knew he was signing a 31 year old player, likely past his peak that might start to decline in production overall, which of course he did.  So I ask again, how do you justify the huge $'s AND huge term AND sweetener?  And as I have said before, a $6M/6 yr term is not a placeholder.  He went so far out on the limb with this signing and boxed himself in by making him untradeable.  So while I love a lot of things JB has done, this is off the charts bad.

All CDCers agree. Negative posters, positive posters, Cpt Hindsight posters, it doesn't matter, everybody agrees. Bad signing. You have, however, left out the most relevant question. Was our owner involved in this signing ?

No, it doesn't matter if Santa Claus was involved in the signing.  The question is, regardless of who was involved in the negotiations, is why did he get maximum TERM, $'s and NTC at his age and production?  Typically if they give a player max $'s, it's a reduced term, or if it is maximum term, it is a reduced $.  Unless your name is like a Stamkos, he gets it all!

1 hour ago, Stormriders said:

No, it doesn't matter if Santa Claus was involved in the signing.  The question is, regardless of who was involved in the negotiations, is why did he get maximum TERM, $'s and NTC at his age and production?  Typically if they give a player max $'s, it's a reduced term, or if it is maximum term, it is a reduced $.  Unless your name is like a Stamkos, he gets it all!

Not sure what you're basing this 'max' thing on but as bad as LE's contract is (it is), it's neither max term or max $.

DEpending on which vets are penciled for next year the Canucks could pull a NYR stunt and ask players to waive their NTC. They can be waived thru and if not claimed the Canucks could take salary back to move LE. Ericksson can still be a decent PK'er and 3rd line option. I doubt Benning would do something like that so I don't expect anything along those lines. 

i agree his contract is too large, money and term wise.

i agree with the poster that questioned his ability to score maybe him playing with the wrong kind of centre. louie is a garbage goal scorer, but our forwards have trouble getting to the net. 

they say, if a scorer isn't scoring, he better do something well. 

imo, along with sutter and granlund, that line is a premier checking line.

i may be the only one, but i like louie a lot. he is too expensive but he performs a function on this team.

hate me, shoot me, but that is my thought on louie.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

If any of the teams we hate made this signing we'd be making fun of them for it. This was a bad signing and will continue to be regardless of the occasional stretch of not sucking. 

It wasn't a bad signing.  It was a bad result.  

Benning had every reason to feel Eriksson would help this club, and although we probably couldn't have expected a repeat of his last year in Boston, he was about as sure-thing of a UFA signing as you can get.  The only issue people had at the time (and still do) is the length of contract - but nobody really anticipating his inability to get his game together... especially since he was gifted a spot with the Sedins to start.

40 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It wasn't a bad signing.  It was a bad result.  

Benning had every reason to feel Eriksson would help this club, and although we probably couldn't have expected a repeat of his last year in Boston, he was about as sure-thing of a UFA signing as you can get.  The only issue people had at the time (and still do) is the length of contract - but nobody really anticipating his inability to get his game together... especially since he was gifted a spot with the Sedins to start.

But you get judged on the result.  No GM goes into a contract negotiation expecting it to end up being bad. 

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But you get judged on the result.  No GM goes into a contract negotiation expecting it to end up being bad. 

Well in retrospect, yes - it was an unfortunate result.  But the *signing* itself made sense at the time.  It isn't like Loui was a prospect and his potential was misjudged; he is a vet NHL player who has put up good numbers in the past so there was no reason to think this would happen.  I'm really not sure why it HAS happened.