The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

2 hours ago, Snake Doctor said:

There is nothing this guy can do to improve our future.  What a bust. I hate him like Messier

That's harsh. But I understand why anyone would feel that way. Not me though.

That whole Messier/Keenan era was a highly disappointing and frustrating time. 

There's no way that the acquisition of LE busted up our team as much as that.

Yeah. Thus far he's not produced the points/goals as expected upon his signing. And he's certainly had injury maladies since joining that didn't help matters in that regard.

That being said..............................

..........................LE definitely has upside. IMO a keeper for the term he's with us. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I look back at how that Dion Phaneuf/Marian Gaborik trade and think its possible to move Loui Eriksson. 

But considering if the twins leave in the summer, would love to see a Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen line.  A line that has some two way ability, can provide some offense, and I think Gaudette/Virtanen's speed could off set Eriksson's slow skating, but Loui balances that line with defensive excellence, and experience.  I feel Loui would benefit from playing with two guys that likely will carry the play and his skillset would be to balance and complement those two.  

I know we slag on Loui a lot, but playing beside Brandon Sutter, Darren Archibald, and Markus Granlund for majority of this season hasn't exactly screamed offensive opportunities for him.  He may not be a 6million dollar offensive juggernaut as he was advertised to be for us, but I still like how defensively sound he is.   Considering 

Worse comes to worse, now that his NMC expires and now just has a modified NTC, if you can't move him, waive him to Utica and at least you save up to 900K for a roster spot for a younger player. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I look back at how that Dion Phaneuf/Marian Gaborik trade and think its possible to move Loui Eriksson. 

But considering if the twins leave in the summer, would love to see a Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen line.  A line that has some two way ability, can provide some offense, and I think Gaudette/Virtanen's speed could off set Eriksson's slow skating, but Loui balances that line with defensive excellence, and experience.  I feel Loui would benefit from playing with two guys that likely will carry the play and his skillset would be to balance and complement those two.  

I know we slag on Loui a lot, but playing beside Brandon Sutter, Darren Archibald, and Markus Granlund for majority of this season hasn't exactly screamed offensive opportunities for him.  He may not be a 6million dollar offensive juggernaut as he was advertised to be for us, but I still like how defensively sound he is.   Considering 

Worse comes to worse, now that his NMC expires and now just has a modified NTC, if you can't move him, waive him to Utica and at least you save up to 900K for a roster spot for a younger player. 

Yeah despite his lack of offensive abilities he's pretty reliable defensively lile you said. In one hand I don't mind pairing him with a couple young guys so be the defensive rock, but on the other hand I'm not okay with that line just out there eating minutes and not scoring like every line LE is on seems to do.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah despite his lack of offensive abilities he's pretty reliable defensively lile you said. In one hand I don't mind pairing him with a couple young guys so be the defensive rock, but on the other hand I'm not okay with that line just out there eating minutes and not scoring like every line LE is on seems to do.

I think that's this team's problem at the moment. Not that I don't agree, but the Canucks have too many forwards who are defensively minded. We need more offensive talent, but that's coming.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a fresh start for two players?

New Jersey gets Markstrom  50% salary retianed, and Loui Eriksson. 

Vancouver gets Corey Schneider and a 4th round pick. 

New Jersey gets Kinkaid and Markstrom as a goaltending tandem. Gets a guy 4 years younger.

Gets a forward who might do better in the East and with a speedy team. 

Vancouver get Schneider and Demko as a tandem, and honestly can't be worse. 

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about a fresh start for two players?

New Jersey gets Markstrom  50% salary retianed, and Loui Eriksson. 

Vancouver gets Corey Schneider and a 4th round pick. 

New Jersey gets Kinkaid and Markstrom as a goaltending tandem. Gets a guy 4 years younger.

Gets a forward who might do better in the East and with a speedy team. 

Vancouver get Schneider and Demko as a tandem, and honestly can't be worse. 

Shero laughs hysterically while hanging up.

• Cheers 1

Clip of Loui Eriksson after he was traded to Boston from Dallas.  Shows him meeting Cam Neely, checking out the rink, getting bruins swag, and house shopping.  If you haven't seen the behind the b's already it's a great clip to get a feel for his personality. (If you rewind like 5-7 minutes u can watch the discussions to trade Seguin among brass. Including our GM Jim Benning.)

On 4/2/2018 at 4:08 AM, Qwags said:

I think that's this team's problem at the moment. Not that I don't agree, but the Canucks have too many forwards who are defensively minded. We need more offensive talent, but that's coming.

I am not so sure "minded", more that they seem offensively constrained.  Scoring at NHL level is hard but some seem to need a collective boost of confidence as many were scorers in their formative years and even earlier in NHL career.   Specifically to LE, he still has great wheels and is a great passer.   He may take on a more "leader" role now too and I am thinking Canuck fans not keen on him may soften their stance this coming season.   He can move up/down the lineup as well as anyone they have which is a nice flexibility option for a coach.    Contract aside (it is what it is, right Todd?), he is an effective NHL player who can still play.   If he chips in 40 points (big IF but let's assume for as second) and give Canucks strong PK and such, then a nice thing to have for what will be another year or two of growth for the young ones.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not so sure "minded", more that they seem offensively constrained.  Scoring at NHL level is hard but some seem to need a collective boost of confidence as many were scorers in their formative years and even earlier in NHL career.   Specifically to LE, he still has great wheels and is a great passer.   He may take on a more "leader" role now too and I am thinking Canuck fans not keen on him may soften their stance this coming season.   He can move up/down the lineup as well as anyone they have which is a nice flexibility option for a coach.    Contract aside (it is what it is, right Todd?), he is an effective NHL player who can still play.   If he chips in 40 points (big IF but let's assume for as second) and give Canucks strong PK and such, then a nice thing to have for what will be another year or two of growth for the young ones.

I have seen nothing in Erickson that resembles anything that you have stated.. ever, with this club.

”Great Wheels”?  “Great Passer”?.. Cmon Rob.

... and “his contract aside” , are Wishes that he becomes anything of his former self.

As far as LE goes, I’m afraid ”it is, what it is”.. and “it’s”getting older every season.. 37 when it expires I believe.

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I have seen nothing in Erickson that resembles anything that you have stated.. ever, with this club.

”Great Wheels”?  “Great Passer”?.. Cmon Rob.

... and “his contract aside” , are Wishes that he becomes anything of his former self.

As far as LE goes, I’m afraid ”it is, what it is”.. and “it’s”getting older every season.. 37 when it expires I believe.

He is an above average skater, yes he is.   He makes great outlet passes, have you keyed in on him during a game?   One of the reasons he worked with Sedins on big ice was same reason he didn't as well on NA surface.        As for the contract, his NM clauses expire before his contract does so if he really is as bad as you say he is, he won't be around for the entire contract.   

Again, I disagree with your perspective on him but that is fine as you mutually do same to what I see.   I think he remains an effective NHL player, you don't.   World continues to spin.  :)

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is an above average skater, yes he is.   He makes great outlet passes, have you keyed in on him during a game?   One of the reasons he worked with Sedins on big ice was same reason he didn't as well on NA surface.        As for the contract, his NM clauses expire before his contract does so if he really is as bad as you say he is, he won't be around for the entire contract.   

Again, I disagree with your perspective on him but that is fine as you mutually do same to what I see.   I think he remains an effective NHL player, you don't.   World continues to spin.  :)

He has to submit a 15-team no trade clause for the last 2 years. All he has to do is pick his teams right and it'll handcuff the Canucks in terms of trading him.