The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

On 3/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, Rough Neck said:

Oh so basically we can only retain 500k because the majority of his money is bonus? Man that's rough. I thought it's been a bit more recent with the signing bonuses so I didn't realize that was the case. 

Actually his contract is a bit weird in that while his salary for each of the next two years is one million (with bonuses paid in the offseason for the difference)....the final year of his contract (groan........three more seasons of this garbage) his salary jumps back up to three million (with a one million bonus paid a few months before that season starts).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Actually his contract is a bit weird in that while his salary for each of the next two years is one million (with bonuses paid in the offseason for the difference)....the final year of his contract (groan........three more seasons of this garbage) his salary jumps back up to three million (with a one million bonus paid a few months before that season starts).

Not really sure how they dump this guy. I sure hope they do. There is no longer a place for him and his 6 million per year when he fills the role of a 4th liner. Get him off the team JB.

Maybe Ottawa would take him just to get the cap floor as they traded everything away that made any money.

Edit: maybe that last year was the projected lock year??

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Not really sure how they dump this guy. I sure hope they do. There is no longer a place for him and his 6 million per year when he fills the role of a 4th liner. Get him off the team JB.

Maybe Ottawa would take him just to get the cap floor as they traded everything away that made any money.

With salary retention as an added incentive, I think you might be right re: Sens)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I really don't care how it's done, but Loui has to go.  The guy is old, slow, weak, and taking the spot of a young player.  I accept Loui is trying his hardest, but he's done.  Time to move on.  Just send him to Utica.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Is he?

I think Loui is trying his absolute hardest.  He's old now.  First his hands went, and now his legs and strength are fading fast too.  He's done. He's old.  But I do believe he's trying.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But I do believe he's trying.  

I agree, I find him very trying, my patience that is.

Wonder if he would just decide to retire instead of being a hollow shell of the player he once was?

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Loui is trying his absolute hardest.  He's old now.  First his hands went, and now his legs and strength are fading fast too.  He's done. He's old.  But I do believe he's trying.  

You’re just repeating what your wife has been telling you.

edit:  I was talking about Loui! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:20 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

not that much tbh. OTT has ~44 mil in salaries for next year, and right now the floor is 58 mil and that probably goes up. Loui is 3 mil in the bank for Melnyk with a cap hit of 6 mil. Maybe a 3rd round pick, or a b-prospect. Thats all it should take, anyway. 

Would be ironic if Linus Karlsson is the guy going the other way to Ottawa

On 3/6/2019 at 11:23 AM, SingleThorn said:

His contract is mainly signing bonuses. Actual salary is $1mil for two years. Retained salary maximum is 50% of salary, so $500k. As with most things, I'm fairly sure this is how it works, but not 100% sure :)

No we can retain 50% of his entire $6 million.  "Salary" includes base salary plus signing bonuses...

The 2013 CBA gave teams the flexibility to retain a percentage of salary and cap hits in trades. Calgary Flames President Brian Burke championed this idea for years at GM meetings before it was finally adopted.

There are a few key limitations:

• ‘Salary’ refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
  • The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
  • The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit.  This cannot be altered from year to year.
  • Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
  • Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
  • A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-retained-salary-trades/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No we can retain 50% of his entire $6 million.  "Salary" includes base salary plus signing bonuses...

The 2013 CBA gave teams the flexibility to retain a percentage of salary and cap hits in trades. Calgary Flames President Brian Burke championed this idea for years at GM meetings before it was finally adopted.

There are a few key limitations:

• ‘Salary’ refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
  • The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
  • The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit.  This cannot be altered from year to year.
  • Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
  • Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
  • A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-retained-salary-trades/

Can't really argue here, but...........it is not the way I remember LE's contract being discussed some time back ( ie...the 'bonus' portion making the deal hard to move ) ! I wonder for instance if TML wanted to retain on Auston Matthews in the final year of his contract. If TML moved him after paying his signing bonus, the amount would be way higher than his actual salary ( 750k salary/ 7.2mil bonus.....AAV +11.6mil ). Perhaps @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME or @mll can put some clarity on this !

I'd love to bash him more but you boys haven't left much to hit him with.  This is good, means I'm not dreaming it.

First off, he's only old at 33 if he chooses to be.  He's plain lazy.  Or ill.  What I can never get my neck around though

is how his ridiculous contract is so constructed that he can actually prove he deserves bonuses, anyone know?  It can

only be appearance money, but he shows up so rarely that such bonus time must come due once very 6 weeks.

Now, to Francesco.

Surely he's quietly steaming with both Loui and Jim.  I just can't see such a hard-headed businessman tolerating more

than one sulky Eriksson work-shift by any other employee within his profit empire.  You gotta think he's been musing a

Loui eviction in some dark way, and frankly I'm disappointed that Aquilini hasn't forced one yet, even should that cost

him his gm.  Francesco's reputation is not one of compassion for people wasting his money.

Time the big guy stepped up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

just spit-balling here... 

Loui has 3 kids.. and he's getting a little long in the tooth.. let's just pretend that maybe he got a specific off - season surgery... just south of the... ummm... gentleman's sausage

I don't know much about said surgery, but would that diminish a player's drive? 

comments? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mo Grit said:

Now, to Francesco.

Surely he's quietly steaming with both Loui and Jim.  I just can't see such a hard-headed businessman tolerating more

than one sulky Eriksson work-shift by any other employee within his profit empire.  You gotta think he's been musing a

Loui eviction in some dark way, and frankly I'm disappointed that Aquilini hasn't forced one yet, even should that cost

him his gm.  Francesco's reputation is not one of compassion for people wasting his money.

Time the big guy stepped up.

hmmmm

i find it interesting

that people think loui was signed without aquaman's involvement and full approval

there have been repeated rumours over the years about aquaman

and his desire to chase big name players

nonis' firing is rumoured to be a dispute over a disagreement about chasing an elite player

aquaman seems more interested in taking such risks

then the management team that he employs

but yeah, blame this solely on jb

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Would be ironic if Linus Karlsson is the guy going the other way to Ottawa

Loui + LK to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick would be nice. Otherwise its probably a roster player swap as is being suggested on another thread this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

hmmmm

i find it interesting

that people think loui was signed without aquaman's involvement and full approval

there have been repeated rumours over the years about aquaman

and his desire to chase big name players

nonis' firing is rumoured to be a dispute over a disagreement about chasing an elite player

aquaman seems more interested in taking such risks

then the management team that he employs

but yeah, blame this solely on jb

not really. Its been reported many times that Loui was a group decision, everyone including ownership, Linden, Benning were excited about it. There were a lot of reasons to think it was a good fit. 

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Can't really argue here, but...........it is not the way I remember LE's contract being discussed some time back ( ie...the 'bonus' portion making the deal hard to move ) ! I wonder for instance if TML wanted to retain on Auston Matthews in the final year of his contract. If TML moved him after paying his signing bonus, the amount would be way higher than his actual salary ( 750k salary/ 7.2mil bonus.....AAV +11.6mil ). Perhaps @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME or @mll can put some clarity on this !

Contracts like Eriksson’s are said to be “buyout proof” because of their structure with guaranteed signing bonuses (this article does a decent job breaking down why), but they are not immovable. You can still make a retained salary transaction, retaining up to 50% of the contract (AAV and monies owed, including the remaining bonuses).

Where signing bonuses make trades interesting is how the payouts are scheduled. Signing bonuses are paid out annually in a lump sum in July, before the season starts. Regular salary is paid every 15th and last day of the month, starting September 30th, and ending April 15th. So the timing of trades makes a huge difference on how much actual salary is left, and how much real money will be retained.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Contracts like Eriksson’s are said to be “buyout proof” because of their structure with guaranteed signing bonuses (this article does a decent job breaking down why), but they are not immovable. You can still make a retained salary transaction, retaining up to 50% of the contract (AAV and monies owed, including the remaining bonuses).

Where signing bonuses make trades interesting is how the payouts are scheduled. Signing bonuses are paid out annually in a lump sum in July, before the season starts. Regular salary is paid every 15th and last day of the month, starting September 30th, and ending April 15th. So the timing of trades makes a huge difference on how much actual salary is left, and how much real money will be retained.

Thanks for the reply. I still look at the Auston Matthews final year and it appears that TML could be paying his salary while on a new team if the full salary/ bonus retention options are used. I do think that if the 'nucks are allowed to pay 50% of any signing bonus, then LE's contract becomes very move-able, especially if done just after paying an annual bonus payment.

• Upvote 1