The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

3 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Please hockey gods, give us this Loui in Vancouver:

The reason we signed him in the first place was because of his play in the world championships.

The guy only plays hard when he wants to, which is a horrible example to the young players coming up. 

The sooner we dump him the better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The reason we signed him in the first place was because of his play in the world championships.

The guy only plays hard when he wants to, which is a horrible example to the young players coming up. 

The sooner we dump him the better.

I've been pondering a Eriksson for Wennberg trade.  Both players underperformed in the last two years and seem unhappy in their current situations.  Eriksson has $6m x 3 years left and Wennberg has $4.9m x 4 years left.  But Eriksson's contract is front loaded.  After he gets his $4m signing bonus this July 1st, he only has $9m of actual money left on his deal.  Wennberg, on the other hand, has a back loaded contract.  CBJ paid him $3.5m and $4.5m for the past two seasons, but his salary rises to $5.35m for the next four seasons.

To CBJ, the difference between paying $9m over 3 years and $21.8m over 4 years is significant.  Duchene, Panarin and Bobrovsky are all but gone so cap space won't be an issue.  They're not getting a better player, but they're getting a much cheaper player.  If Wennberg is in Torts' doghouse, maybe they rather cut bait before his raise kicks in. 

The Canucks will get an extra year on the contract but a lower cap hit.  More importantly, Wennberg is only 24.  It's conceivable that he can find his game again with a change of scenery.  He was a 60 point player only two seasons ago.  He's a year older than Goldobin, a year younger than Leivo, and two years younger than Baertschi and Pearson.  There's legitimate potential there, versus Eriksson, who's 33 and declining.  Wennberg is a good skater and playmaker, and could be a better fit with Pettersson than Goldy as he's much more responsible defensively.  He's also a good penalty killer and can play both C and LW, so if injuries decimate our centre depth again he can slot in at C. 

Obviously Wennberg's contract poses risks but we can't exactly trade Eriksson for Rantanen.  If Wennberg can at least get back to being a 40 point player (he was on track for 43 points just a year ago), he'd be one of the better forwards available in the expansion draft.  So if things don't work out we could expose him and lose him for free, which isn't half bad because right now we'd have to give up an asset if we wanted to get rid of Eriksson without taking any money back.     

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

I've been pondering a Eriksson for Wennberg trade.  Both players underperformed in the last two years and seem unhappy in their current situations.  Eriksson has $6m x 3 years left and Wennberg has $4.9m x 4 years left.  But Eriksson's contract is front loaded.  After he gets his $4m signing bonus this July 1st, he only has $9m of actual money left on his deal.  Wennberg, on the other hand, has a back loaded contract.  CBJ paid him $3.5m and $4.5m for the past two seasons, but his salary rises to $5.35m for the next four seasons.

To CBJ, the difference between paying $9m over 3 years and $21.8m over 4 years is significant.  Duchene, Panarin and Bobrovsky are all but gone so cap space won't be an issue.  They're not getting a better player, but they're getting a much cheaper player.  If Wennberg is in Torts' doghouse, maybe they rather cut bait before his raise kicks in. 

The Canucks will get an extra year on the contract but a lower cap hit.  More importantly, Wennberg is only 24.  It's conceivable that he can find his game again with a change of scenery.  He was a 60 point player only two seasons ago.  He's a year older than Goldobin, a year younger than Leivo, and two years younger than Baertschi and Pearson.  There's legitimate potential there, versus Eriksson, who's 33 and declining.  Wennberg is a good skater and playmaker, and could be a better fit with Pettersson than Goldy as he's much more responsible defensively.  He's also a good penalty killer and can play both C and LW, so if injuries decimate our centre depth again he can slot in at C. 

Obviously Wennberg's contract poses risks but we can't exactly trade Eriksson for Rantanen.  If Wennberg can at least get back to being a 40 point player (he was on track for 43 points just a year ago), he'd be one of the better forwards available in the expansion draft.  So if things don't work out we could expose him and lose him for free, which isn't half bad because right now we'd have to give up an asset if we wanted to get rid of Eriksson without taking any money back.     

It is highly improbable a team trades their 24 year old centre for a 34 year old winger plug. Highly improbable. It just makes no sense for them.

• Upvote 1

Loui's good playing in the Worlds is good news for Benning. Maybe he'll actually be able to trade him this off-season. It's actually a pretty good time to trade any of the Euros, right after an international tournament. I find they always play better when wearing their country's colours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

yikes

From what I understand, it's a case of +/- belying his actual play. The goaltending was pretty porous for Sweden and Eriksson was probably put out against a lot of the best players for other teams. Not saying he was great, but I don't think he was as bad as the -8 implies.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

From what I understand, it's a case of +/- belying his actual play. The goaltending was pretty porous for Sweden and Eriksson was probably put out against a lot of the best players for other teams. Not saying he was great, but I don't think he was as bad as the -8 implies.

Then why was the next worst Swede only minus 3?

Loui is done as a player for the top levels.  I don’t think he could even survive in the SHL anymore.  The ice is too big for his lack of skating.  He’s trying his hardest.  I don’t doubt his effort.  He’s just getting old, and that’s natural.  He’s slowing down.  His hands are shaking.  He’s not as strong as when younger.  I don’t think he’s on the Canucks opening night.  He’s in the press box, Utica, or retired.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Then why was the next worst Swede only minus 3?

Loui is done as a player for the top levels.  I don’t think he could even survive in the SHL anymore.  The ice is too big for his lack of skating.  He’s trying his hardest.  I don’t doubt his effort.  He’s just getting old, and that’s natural.  He’s slowing down.  His hands are shaking.  He’s not as strong as when younger.  I don’t think he’s on the Canucks opening night.  He’s in the press box, Utica, or retired.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. He had 4 points in 8 games, Alf--most of us would be thrilled if Eriksson had 0.5 points-per-game. +/- is a flawed stat without context and unfortunately, I don't think many more corroborating stats are available for this tournament (at least I don't know where to look for them), so the hypothesis that he was horrible defensively can't be conclusively defended IMO.

With regards to his future, I was very disappointed in him this year as I hoped he would turn at least a bit of a corner based on his much better 2016-17 season, but alas, he didn't. I still think he's an NHL-level forward--people overestimate how bad his offense is.

Last year, he out-produced the following Canuck forwards:

- Jake Virtanen

- Markus Granlund

- Jay Beagle

- Brandon Sutter

- Tyler Motte

- Adam Gaudette

- Tim Schaller

If we are to suggest that Eriksson isn't NHL calibre anymore, then why is there any reason to believe that any of the above players are? On top of all that, Eriksson's most valuable asset is his defense, which isn't even factored into this--these players he bests on offense alone.

I'm not saying Eriksson is a top 6 forward or even that he's a solid third line forward, but I don't think he's sunk to the level of an AHL or SHL player yet. I'd be surprised if he's not a Canuck at the start of next year.

• Upvote 2

Sutter didn't play a full season

Beagle did not play a full season

Granlund did not play a full season

Schaller did not play a full season

I think Ericksson was a healthy scratch, but played most games 

Ericksson, after what he did, throw Green under the bus and the Canuck org,  while he was over in Europe, just puts the icing on the cake. somehow I don't think Aquilini will take kindly about Ericksson shooting off his mouth. it will be interesting to see going forward how it all plays out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. He had 4 points in 8 games, Alf--most of us would be thrilled if Eriksson had 0.5 points-per-game. +/- is a flawed stat without context and unfortunately, I don't think many more corroborating stats are available for this tournament (at least I don't know where to look for them), so the hypothesis that he was horrible defensively can't be conclusively defended IMO.

With regards to his future, I was very disappointed in him this year as I hoped he would turn at least a bit of a corner based on his much better 2016-17 season, but alas, he didn't. I still think he's an NHL-level forward--people overestimate how bad his offense is.

Last year, he out-produced the following Canuck forwards:

- Jake Virtanen

- Markus Granlund

- Jay Beagle

- Brandon Sutter

- Tyler Motte

- Adam Gaudette

- Tim Schaller

If we are to suggest that Eriksson isn't NHL calibre anymore, then why is there any reason to believe that any of the above players are? On top of all that, Eriksson's most valuable asset is his defense, which isn't even factored into this--these players he bests on offense alone.

I'm not saying Eriksson is a top 6 forward or even that he's a solid third line forward, but I don't think he's sunk to the level of an AHL or SHL player yet. I'd be surprised if he's not a Canuck at the start of next year.

Personally, I have nothing against Loui.  Unlike some here, I believe he does get into his best condition; he does do everything possible to be at his best; and he does try his hardest every shift.

However, he can’t fight aging.  None of us can.  He is slower, weaker, and his hands are not as good as when he was <30.

Thats okay though.  It’s time to move on for the team, and play a younger guy in Loui’s role.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2019 at 1:37 AM, The 5th Line said:

I seriously can't find a statistic that Loui has improved on from last year.  

Well, you seriously have not looked hard enough as the answer is right under your nose!   Number of repetitive whiny posts about him have increased 27% and number of people not letting this one signing go years after it was made has risen 12%; a signing that the Sedins fully endorsed and many hockey "experts" across various publications that report on the league said was an incredibly "smart move" by Vancouver at the time .   However, the number of people who have to comment negatively on the signing at least once a month has dropped meaning, in terms of "improvement, those whiny post total increases are being made by a relatively small number of posters which means those people (proudly include yourself in this) have really upped their games!

Great improvement statistic and you have been a big part of it.   Don't be modest, you know you have.  A big round of applause for you and Loui!    :)

source.gif

• Haha 4
  • Wat 1