The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

I think it is too late to salvage the train wreck that is Loui.

Where would you play him? He cannot be in the top 6 as he has zero offense and we need to compete.

I suppose there is a spot on the 4th line but even if he is steady there that won't build up any trade value for a 6 million dollar player imo.

JT Miller  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Baer

Roussel  Sutter  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  Ericksson

That seems to be the only real spot for him imo. You don't want to take ice time away from any of the guys ahead of Loui as he provides little to nothing positive.

As he was last year, he's hard-pressed to find a permanent role on our team, but as he was in 2017-18, I'd say he's a very good 3rd line forward who can put up 35-40 points. I have my doubts he'll get back to that level though; it's more like wishing upon a star for me. I have a strong tendency to root for the underdogs, but I don't think I'm so naive as to think there's a strong chance Eriksson will recover his game by much if at all.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think it is too late to salvage the train wreck that is Loui.

Where would you play him? He cannot be in the top 6 as he has zero offense and we need to compete.

I suppose there is a spot on the 4th line but even if he is steady there that won't build up any trade value for a 6 million dollar player imo.

JT Miller  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Baer

Roussel  Sutter  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  Ericksson

That seems to be the only real spot for him imo. You don't want to take ice time away from any of the guys ahead of Loui as he provides little to nothing positive.

Wondering if TG might put Pearson with Petey and Boeser and play Bear on LW and Miller RW. I can't recall if I have ever seen Baer on the RW or Pearson either. Miller apparently has played all three forward positions so may be better suited to play on Bo's RW at least at the start of the season. Not sure what the plan for Goldy is but maybe they use him on the 3rd line LW till Roussel gets back from injury

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Great, then like everyone else he can come to camp and battle to earn... and keep... a spot on the roster.  Otherwise, out he goes, on the waiver wire if need be.

This. I think Benning is as enviable a position as he could hope to be when it comes to how people will react to what happens with Loui. If Benning trades him without giving up too high a sweetener or taking back too crappy a contract like Lucic for example, most fans will be thrilled. If LE comes to camp hungry, battles hard, and earns a spot to be a productive player in our lineup, people will at worst say "its about time" and "maybe he can build up some trade value." If he $&!#s the bed and Benning waives him then buries him in the minors, a majority of fans will give Benning credit for ignoring his contract and doing what is right for the team.

But ultimately it would be best to move on from LE by trade before training camp and Benning probably knows it.

I posted the below info in the Trade Loui thread:

So basically, assuming Loui is owed 9 million for the next 3 seasons, a team would be getting a defensively responsible player for the equivalent of a 3 million dollar a year player.

He has an aav of 6 so for those cap floor teams that would be a bonus. For the other teams that are above the cap floor but won't be spending to the cap it really doesn't matter. A list of players that will make about the same amount of money that Loui will actually be paid each year for the next 3 years is below:

schaller.PNG.c37b7c9be487f923e6e4d4f5f83c734b.PNG

Loui had .36 points per game last season.  

Some of the salary comparable players on the above list had the following ppg:

Sheary .44

Athanasiou .71

Sobotka .19

Frolik 052

Schmaltz .63

Helm .28

Jensen .25

Danault .65

Boedker .49

Filppula .43

In the years previous to last Loui had the following ppg:

17/18 - .46

16/17 - .37

15/16 - .77

14/15 - .58

It appears when you look at Loui's contract and compare his production to other players making the actual same amount of money (3 million per) and not the aav his ppg is in the ballpark of those players.

Looking at it like this, there is no reason why JB may not be able to trade him imo.

COME ON JB - GITER DONE!!!

40 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So basically, assuming Loui is owed 9 million for the next 3 seasons, a team would be getting a defensively responsible player for the equivalent of a 3 million dollar a year player.

He has an aav of 6 so for those cap floor teams that would be a bonus. For the other teams that are above the cap floor but won't be spending to the cap it really doesn't matter. A list of players that will make about the same amount of money that Loui will actually be paid each year for the next 3 years is below:

Sheary .44

Athanasiou .71

Sobotka .19

Frolik 052

Schmaltz .63

Helm .28

Jensen .25

Danault .65

Boedker .49

Filppula .43

17/18 - .46

16/17 - .37

15/16 - .77

14/15 - .58

It appears when you look at Loui's contract and compare his production to other players making the actual same amount of money (3 million per) and not the aav his ppg is in the ballpark of those players.

Looking at it like this, there is no reason why JB may not be able to trade him imo.

I think another note on this is that if we were to retain 50% of Eriksson's salary, not only would his value not be negative, but I'd argue that he might actually be an average value player given a $3M cap hit.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think another note on this is that if we were to retain 50% of Eriksson's salary, not only would his value not be negative, but I'd argue that he might actually be an average value player given a $3M cap hit.

Can you retain salary but not cap hit? I did not think you could but could be wrong.

Edit: could we pay half the 3 million actual dollars but the other team takes the full 6 mill aav? Sounds wrong to me but that would be awesome if we could lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Can you retain salary but not cap hit? I did not think you could but could be wrong.

Apologies, I meant cap hit, but I often use the term "salary" instead, as retaining salary alone isn't possible (as far as I know).

Most teams I think wouldn't care about the actual salaries as much as the cap hit, as I suspect probably only about 5 or so have a maximum budget below the cap ceiling.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Apologies, I meant cap hit, but I often use the term "salary" instead, as retaining salary alone isn't possible (as far as I know).

Most teams I think wouldn't care about the actual salaries as much as the cap hit, as I suspect probably only about 5 or so have a maximum budget below the cap ceiling.

Thanks.

I don't know if we would have to retain that much. Maybe 25%?  The other team gets a player that can play some minutes defensively responsible and they only pay 2.25 million in real money per year but get a cap of 4.5.

I would be all over this lol.

@Timråfan must be hard being the pres of the Loui erkisson fan club. Also do you guys have jackets? 

I wanted to ask you, your not disappointed in Loui at all? I remember watch forsberg at the end of his career and he always gave it his best same goes for Matt Sundin when he was in Van...I don't know how loui could put on the same jersey those guys wore....I would feel ashamed 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

@Timråfan must be hard being the pres of the Loui erkisson fan club. Also do you guys have jackets? 

I wanted to ask you, your not disappointed in Loui at all? I remember watch forsberg at the end of his career and he always gave it his best same goes for Matt Sundin when he was in Van...I don't know how loui could put on the same jersey those guys wore....I would feel ashamed 

Naah, I can get you a pin if you like.

If you read what I wrote you should have noticed that I don't talk about how Loui play. Except when he was at the WC. 

I try to understand more and not let testosteron steer my path as it seems a lot of fans here do. Testosteron isn't very good at letting people use their brain. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Naah, I can get you a pin if you like.

If you read what I wrote you should have noticed that I don't talk about how Loui play. Except when he was at the WC. 

I try to understand more and not let testosteron steer my path as it seems a lot of fans here do. Testosteron isn't very good at letting people use their brain. 

Can I have a pin too?

That was a good one. :towel:

Does Loui live in Sweden during the off-season?  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Sheary .44

Athanasiou .71

Sobotka .19

Frolik 052

Schmaltz .63

Helm .28

Jensen .25

Danault .65

Boedker .49

Filppula .43

17/18 - .46

16/17 - .37

15/16 - .77

14/15 - .58

I think if he could’ve dumped him, he would’ve done so by now already.  Most likely have to accept fact he’ll be a Canuck for at least another year.  

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think if he could’ve dumped him, he would’ve done so by now already.  Most likely have to accept fact he’ll be a Canuck Comet for at least another year.  

Fify

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can I have a pin too?

That was a good one. :towel:

Does Loui live in Sweden during the off-season?  

Maybex2

Here is an answer from Loui about what people interpreted as criticism... 

Journalist: Du riktade lite kritik mot tränaren inför VM?

Loui– Det var inget sånt, det var inget stort men det blev stort med de rubrikerna. Men vi är inte oense om något.

In english for foreigners. 
Journalist: You criticized the coach before the World Cup?

Loui: - It was nothing like that, it was nothing big but it got big with those headlines. But we do not disagree about anything.

Here Loui states that he and Coach Green doesn't disagree about anything. Talk about storm in a teacup. 

• Upvote 1

Who reported that Loui was talking trash about Green at the Worlds? Was it TSN? Maybe the media should be careful how they treat Canucks players ;) I have a feeling this was all just miscommunication, the language barrier, things taken out of context. Obviously Loui is frustrated with how things have gone for him in VAN and the media ran with it.  

The Goldobin-Pettersson-Eriksson line did show a lot of promise early last season, I was surprised that Green stopped it after like a month or two.

Of course we now realized that it was pretty much just Pettersson pulling the line, but I hope Green at least put Eriksson with Elias.

There was pretty good chemistry between the two.... they should keep it going to at least boost up Eriksson's stats.  If the Canucks could somehow make LE put up 20 goals and like 50 points riding shotgun.... it would make him much easier to trade.  

Got to say, I believe Eriksson with 3 years left is much better than Lucic with 4 years left. At least Loui still has gas in the tank, he still has some speed. He can still contribute, be a net front precence, get some garbage goals. And he's good defensively, good on the PK. I'm hoping they put him in a position to succeed this year (if he's not traded). Got to try and raise his value before the TDL. Maybe they should really change up the Top 6? 

J.T. Miller - Pettersson - Eriksson

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Maybe Miller's tenacity and grit helps to get pucks to Loui and Petey? Maybe Petey and Loui can find some Swedish magic with Miller as a line mate?

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who reported that Loui was talking trash about Green at the Worlds? Was it TSN? Maybe the media should be careful how they treat Canucks players ;) I have a feeling this was all just miscommunication, the language barrier, things taken out of context. Obviously Loui is frustrated with how things have gone for him in VAN and the media ran with it.  

I recall that it was an article in a Swedish News Paper.

• Upvote 1