The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vesey Still In Play

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's pathetic.

What?! That's hilarious. 

On a more serious note, the NHL should start playing hardball with these little creeps. You cannot enter the draft until you are committed to the NHL. If that means you enter the draft at 21 then so be it. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

What?! That's hilarious. 

On a more serious note, the NHL should start playing hardball with these little creeps. You cannot enter the draft until you are committed to the NHL. If that means you enter the draft at 21 then so be it. 

Exactly.  Don't want to sign with the team that drafted you?  Go play in Europe until your're 27.

Just now, oldnews said:

Exactly.  Don't want to sign with the team that drafted you?  Go play in Europe until your're 27.

The kid must have been to Nashville before. I can't understand how someone would not want to play there. It's arguably the coolest city with an NHL franchise. That team looks to be a powerhouse the next few years. You can get a 50 room mansion for under 1M. You can go outside without being mobbed by idiots. I don't get it. 

Toronto is the most generic city in the world. There is no Toronto flavour, there is nothing scenic and it's just as, if not more, expensive than Vancouver. 

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The kid must have been to Nashville before. I can't understand how someone would not want to play there. It's arguably the coolest city with an NHL franchise. That team looks to be a powerhouse the next few years. You can get a 50 room mansion for under 1M. You can go outside without being mobbed by idiots. I don't get it. 

Toronto is the most generic city in the world. There is no Toronto flavour, there is nothing scenic and it's just as, if not more, expensive than Vancouver. 

Not to mention the smog. Gross.

On July 6, 2016 at 6:53 AM, SabreFan1 said:

Part of his reasoning is that he wants to stay closer to home in the Northeast in the beginning of his career.  If he goes that route then his choices are pretty limited and it's the biggest reason why the Bruins have the best chance to sign him in my opinion.

NESN and the rest of the Boston media knows that so they've been taking more and more jabs at Buffalo, team and city, knowing that he watches them at his home in Boston.  As much as people can't stand Toronto, I can't stand Boston even more.

That is so weak. Part of being an athlete is being away from home, get used to it. Earn your stripes and make it to free agency before going home. If he had some extraordinary family circumstance then ok. There have been no reports of such so all this just screams entitlement. 

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Not true at all.it is not the coolest city having an NHL team.It is one of the mid grades as if you do not like country music you would not want to be there at all and many do not!

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Not true at all.it is not the coolest city having an NHL team.It is one of the mid grades as if you do not like country music you would not want to be there at all and many do not!

I hate country music and absolutely loved the place. It's one of the most unique cities I have ever been to in North America. The food, nightlife it's totally awesome. If you are a cousin kissin country music lover then it's all that x 10. 

12 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I hate country music and absolutely loved the place. It's one of the most unique cities I have ever been to in North America. The food, nightlife it's totally awesome. If you are a cousin kissin country music lover then it's all that x 10. 

cousins are only for practise!  :towel:

Last night I had a dream that Vesey scored on his first shift for the Canucks. What I found extremely odd about this, is I have never considered the possibility of him coming to Vancouver. Not saying it will happen, but I woke up with a new found interest in him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out! :lol:

8 hours ago, Fantomex said:

Last night I had a dream that Vesey scored on his first shift for the Canucks. What I found extremely odd about this, is I have never considered the possibility of him coming to Vancouver. Not saying it will happen, but I woke up with a new found interest in him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out! :lol:

You sure he wasn't wearing a Bruins or Leafs sweater? 

Those are the two teams I like the least, and one of them is going to get him. :angry:

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

You sure he wasn't wearing a Bruins or Leafs sweater? 

Those are the two teams I like the least, and one of them is going to get him. :angry:

Nope, he was playing for Van... I was even puzzled in my dream as to how we signed him. Like I said, I have had no ideas that he will sign here. Why would he? He basically gets to choose which team he gets his services. I think you're right with Boston and Toronto being the front runners. I just thought it was an odd dream to have and wanted to some record of it! :P

30 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

You don't think it'll be the Sabres? 

No.  I gave up on the idea after the weekend.  He would have signed by now.  GMTM, Bylsma, and Jerry Forton (his former assistant coach at Harvard) met with him last week to pitch him on the team and city.  

When someone continually says before and after "I'm waiting until Aug. 15", that pretty much means that they are decently sure that they know where they are going already.  Since the Sabres are the only team that he can sign to before then, that means that they are out.

What is pretty much messed up about that meeting is that his father, an employee of the Maple Leafs, was sitting in on the whole meeting.  So whatever the Sabres told Vesey, the whole conversation went straight back to Shanahan and Lou Lamoriello.  Now Toronto knows how to counter in advance anything that the Sabres said or offered.  So now it's between Boston and Toronto.

42 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

You don't think it'll be the Sabres? 

Considering he could have signed with them already, I don't think he's interested. He has been aiming for free-agency for some time now. Harvard grad, born in Boston... All signs point to the Bruins. Toronto is probably next, considering the youth movement they've got going on and the "Mathews" factor.

4 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Nope, he was playing for Van... I was even puzzled in my dream as to how we signed him. Like I said, I have had no ideas that he will sign here. Why would he? He basically gets to choose which team he gets his services. I think you're right with Boston and Toronto being the front runners. I just thought it was an odd dream to have and wanted to some record of it! :P

Well at least now you won't forget it.  On the negative side, now you get to feel disappointed when he throws on a B's or Leafs sweater in August. <_<

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Well at least now you won't forget it.  On the negative side, now you get to feel disappointed when he throws on a B's or Leafs sweater in August. <_<

Unlike many of the posters here, I have no delusions that we should get all the free-agents. The dream was out of left field and in no way something that I've invested any energy into. The kid hasn't exactly shown any respect or gratitude towards the two teams that have owned his rights. He seems to have a sense of entitlement already and has proven absolutely nothing at the professional level. If I was a Buffalo or Nashville fan I'd be inclined to send a little negativity his way for the way he has gone about this, but otherwise I'm completely neutral on the whole deal.

On 13 July 2016 at 6:22 AM, Fantomex said:

Unlike many of the posters here, I have no delusions that we should get all the free-agents. The dream was out of left field and in no way something that I've invested any energy into. The kid hasn't exactly shown any respect or gratitude towards the two teams that have owned his rights. He seems to have a sense of entitlement already and has proven absolutely nothing at the professional level. If I was a Buffalo or Nashville fan I'd be inclined to send a little negativity his way for the way he has gone about this, but otherwise I'm completely neutral on the whole deal.

He owes little to the Sabres but to Nashville the deception it takes to decline signing with them.  He was in constant contact with them throughout the year.

Scott Nichols (their director of player development) has worked extensively with him to improve his game.  He can't sign or receive any compensation but teams are allowed to act as advisors. They work on how to improve everything on the ice as well as off ice.  They did video reviews of his games, helped him on his nutrition, etc.  

He was also asked last summer and his answer was that he is a loyal person and that if circumstances are right he would like to sign with Nashville.   "If the circumstances are right" - feels like he already knew now.

Archived