The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a sniper

Pete M

1 hour ago, LateNightBus said:

I watched a high-light reel of Anton Rodin, he is 25 years old-so he has some maturity, and likes to put the puck in the net! There have been injuries and some performance issues in earlier years, but that is in the past.

Hope to see him play for the Canucks next season.

Did you notice how he tucks it in right under the bar. That got me juicy.

he doesn't hang on to the puck too long before he shoots so I don't know how how much NA ice will affect him 

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Who would you pick if you had the choice between Vey, Baertschi or Yakupov?

Has Yakupov lived up to his first overall billing? No, but that hardly makes him a bust. He's been played as a third liner in Edmonton and he's been putting 30 points or more a year. I see him as a very good 2nd liner if given the chance. I don't think he's been given every chance to succeed in Edmonton and if he wasn't going to be a top 6 player for them, then they shouldn't have rushed him into the NHL. Vey and Baertschi are far more the definition of a project than Yakupov. My feeling is Edmonton is asking for more as shown in your example of Sanheim. Teams would've jumped at the deal if it was only for a 2nd. Although now that Edmonton has set the precedent with the Hall for Larsson deal, they won't be getting many good offers now for Yakupov.

It's easy to ask that question in hindsight.  It's different to ask it before the picks/trades were made.  Before Yakupov was drafted anyone would take him above the other two.  Before Vey played JB thought he had potential - clearly he didn't have as much potential as JB hoped.  Baerstchi - well I won't get into how he was treated with Calgary but you can read up on it.  He wasn't given a fair shot.  Yakupov HAS been given a fair shot.

So to ask now, after seeing them all play who I'd choose, I'd go with Baertschi then Yaks (based purely on the hope he can turn it around, which is doubtful) then Vey.

I understand you think Yakupov is worth a 2nd but there were numerous reports saying the highest any team would offer was a 3rd.  The argument that he was rushed in Edmonton is true but is a weak excuse.  For one very few 1st overall picks don't play in the NHL their first year.  Secondly, Draisatl was rushed, played poorly in his first season and look at how he played in his second season - great.  RNH, Eberle, Hall they all played great.  So why hasn't Yakupov?  The excuse he was rushed, while somewhat true, is a very weak excuse.  He's a bust as a first overall pick.  Could he turn it around?  Of course, but he's a project.  To compare him to Baertschi's situation is comparing apples and oranges.

On July 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Sean Avery said:

Etem, D. Sedin, and Baertschi are all snipers on the LW 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line and even though Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, and Hansen are all TWF, they can score. Virtanen is another sniper as well that could have a good season. We don't need another sniper.

We should try Jake on the point on the PP next season. Especially if the Russian doesn't work out.  His shot is underrated. 

On 7/6/2016 at 0:27 AM, Lulover88 said:

you could very well be correct ..  or you could be totally wrong .  

Im a huge Canucks fan so I find it difficult not to drink the cool aid .  Once again , we arrive at another pre season and I am filled with hope that somehow someway , this just might be our year .

Thats ok, I think a lot of us feel that way too.  And there is a lot to be excited about as this does appear to be a better team than the one that started last season (which was coming off another 100+point year).   Horvat made good steps and should only get better, Bear's production if given more ice time and remains the same bumps him up to 50+points, nothing wrong with that on a second line, Sutter never got going due to injuries and is a very good 3rd liner, and now we have a better defense with Guddy and the third or fourth best UFA available added to our top line.   Not too hard to see this team bounce back and pull another off yet another top three finish in our division, and hey look what San Jose just did....

9 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

he doesn't hang on to the puck too long before he shoots so I don't know how how much NA ice will affect him 

Was thinking the same. Has a super quick release. Not afraid to stand in front of the net. Actually seems to do his best work in tight spaces! I could see him doing very well on an NHL powerplay too. Excited to see what he does in camp.

9 hours ago, dura_mater said:

It's easy to ask that question in hindsight.  It's different to ask it before the picks/trades were made.  Before Yakupov was drafted anyone would take him above the other two.  Before Vey played JB thought he had potential - clearly he didn't have as much potential as JB hoped.  Baerstchi - well I won't get into how he was treated with Calgary but you can read up on it.  He wasn't given a fair shot.  Yakupov HAS been given a fair shot.

So to ask now, after seeing them all play who I'd choose, I'd go with Baertschi then Yaks (based purely on the hope he can turn it around, which is doubtful) then Vey.

I understand you think Yakupov is worth a 2nd but there were numerous reports saying the highest any team would offer was a 3rd.  The argument that he was rushed in Edmonton is true but is a weak excuse.  For one very few 1st overall picks don't play in the NHL their first year.  Secondly, Draisatl was rushed, played poorly in his first season and look at how he played in his second season - great.  RNH, Eberle, Hall they all played great.  So why hasn't Yakupov?  The excuse he was rushed, while somewhat true, is a very weak excuse.  He's a bust as a first overall pick.  Could he turn it around?  Of course, but he's a project.  To compare him to Baertschi's situation is comparing apples and oranges.

Not all 1st overall picks are generational talents. He's been given third line minutes and produced above average 3rd line offensive production. He's scoring at almost 0.5ppg. Baertschi's best year is this year and he only got 28 points in 69 games and he was given 2nd line minutes. Baertschi will still improve but there's no doubt that Yakupov is still the better player at this point. Their situations are different for sure, but my point is that if Edmonton would be happy with a 2nd for him, I'm sure many teams would've jumped at that opportunity, especially Benning if he was willing to give up a 2nd for players like Baertschi and Vey. Teams offering a 3rd means nothing because they're just trying to lowball and clearly it's not working. 

As for Draisaitl, injuries to RNH and McDavid allowed him to get more minutes to succeed. Is Draisaitl a better player than Yakupov? Yes, but that's also why teams aren't going to be able to acquire his potential for cheap.

I agree that Yakupov would be a project and I agree that he's not lived up to his 1st overall billing, but he has NHL offensive skills and to want Baertschi over him seems ridiculous to me, even at this point.

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Not all 1st overall picks are generational talents. He's been given third line minutes and produced above average 3rd line offensive production. He's scoring at almost 0.5ppg. Baertschi's best year is this year and he only got 28 points in 69 games and he was given 2nd line minutes. Baertschi will still improve but there's no doubt that Yakupov is still the better player at this point. Their situations are different for sure, but my point is that if Edmonton would be happy with a 2nd for him, I'm sure many teams would've jumped at that opportunity, especially Benning if he was willing to give up a 2nd for players like Baertschi and Vey. Teams offering a 3rd means nothing because they're just trying to lowball and clearly it's not working. 

As for Draisaitl, injuries to RNH and McDavid allowed him to get more minutes to succeed. Is Draisaitl a better player than Yakupov? Yes, but that's also why teams aren't going to be able to acquire his potential for cheap.

I agree that Yakupov would be a project and I agree that he's not lived up to his 1st overall billing, but he has NHL offensive skills and to want Baertschi over him seems ridiculous to me, even at this point.

I probably should have expanded on that.  He has some offensive potential but he can't play defense.  I'd rather have Baertschi because at this stage he's a more complete player than Yakupov is.  Who knows, if JB had a second maybe he'd have offered it for Yaks.

On Saturday, July 02, 2016 at 9:13 AM, khay said:

The good news is that we will continue to add players through the draft and the players that we already have will develop and take over. 

Sedins are done in three years? OK. At least in those three years, they will be able to play some real good hockey with Eriksson supplemented by some good players so as to at least watching hockey interesting.

TBH, after losing in 2011, I just learned that as a fan, all you can hope for is for the team to play an entertaining and competitive hockey. Winning the cup is a dream for many but so many things have to go right that there is no need to be too down just because your team doesn't seem like it has a chance to win the cup in a near future. As in 2011, even if your team has all the odds in their favour to win, they could end up losing for various reasons. 

And keep in mind that the outlook of a team could change in an instance. For example, when Chicago drafted Toewes, it seemed like he was just one of many good prospects. Who knew at the time of 2006 draft that Toewes would become a special player that he is now?  

No need to feel that it sucks to be a Canucks fan. I'm already looking forward to the next season. A lot of things to watch for:

1. Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson. Can they replicate the magic we saw in WHC?

2. Gudbranson

3. How much will Bo have improved?

4. Hutton's point totals

5. How good is Tryamkin going to be?

6. Is Rodin a potential 2RW sniper?

7. Larsen.

8. Will Virtanen take a step forward?

9. Will Baertschi reach 20 goals?

10. Full season with Sutter.

11. Is it going to be Gaunce or Granlund or both that make the team on the 3rd/4th line?

As a fan of the Canucks, I think there is plenty to look forward to.

If you really can't get excited to be a Canucks fan, then maybe you should stop following the Canucks for a bit. It might tell you how you really feel about our team. If you feel indifferent, then move on and don't come back to cheering for a team that makes it suck to be a fan of. But if you feel like something is missing in your life, then come back and look forward to 11 things that I listed above (and potentially more). 

12. Demo in the ahl (potential future #1)

13. Boeser in college ( potential top 6 rw)

14. Juolevi in chl or maybe nhl(potential top 3 dmen)

Awesome year coming up not only we compete for playoff spots but will have the potential to win the first round 

What a lot of people forget is that the Canucks had 248 goals in 2014/2015, rebounding from 196 in Torts last year here.  Last year's 191 can easily rebound back up.  It's not like the roster changed that drastically between the two seasons.  D was weaker and injuries piled up last Season.  D is better, therefore we spend less time in our zone therefore we can apply more pressure at the other end.  Eriksson >> Vrbata even in a good year.  Our younger players are maturing.  Should be a much better year.

On 01/07/2016 at 5:58 PM, mpt said:

Etem is a poor mans power forward trying to become a bonafide power forward

Daniel is a playmaker

Baertschi is a playmaker

I don't know if you understand what a sniper is.

Our closest thing to a sniper is Anton Rodin.  Hopefully he's the answer.

Yeah, Daniel is only the top goal scorer in team history.

You are correct (so far) on Etem, but Neely was a poor man's power forward for his four years as a Canuck.

Baertschi had 15g 13a.  Playmakers are usually more than 2:1 in favour of assists.

Perhaps what you meant to say is an elite sniper like Bure or Hull.

OP, you're a wiener.

Yes, right now our top line got old for a while, but they will move down the depth chart soon enough. How awesome will it be to have a third line of Sedin/Sedin/Erickson? Defensively responsible and with huge scoring potential against other third lines? Our top line is old until they are not our top line anymore. I say 2 more years.

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎01 at 4:13 PM, Sean Avery said:

Etem, D. Sedin, and Baertschi are all snipers on the LW 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line and even though Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, and Hansen are all TWF, they can score. Virtanen is another sniper as well that could have a good season. We don't need another sniper.

Etem a sniper hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

On July 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM, RogersTowell said:

Yeah, Daniel is only the top goal scorer in team history.

You are correct (so far) on Etem, but Neely was a poor man's power forward for his four years as a Canuck.

Baertschi had 15g 13a.  Playmakers are usually more than 2:1 in favour of assists.

Perhaps what you meant to say is an elite sniper like Bure or Hull.

Daniel is a playmaker, not a sniper.  Just because you score goals doesn't mean your a sniper, it's the type of player you are.  Daniel makes more plays then scores goals.  Would you call Gretzky a sniper?  I wouldn't, and he scored more goals than anyone.

Daniel isn't a shoot first type player, he passes and creates more plays than shoots and scores

On 01/07/2016 at 10:43 PM, coastal1 said:

News flash for you: the Canucks are rebuilding, the team will stink for at least 4-5 more years and if the rebuild is well-done, then things will start to turn around then. Teams go through cycles. This is where this team is at. Period.

What's your definition of "stink"? 

If they get into the playoffs next year is that "stink" to U? 

I think they have a good chance of making he playoffs as early as next year.  

Making the playoffs next year would be a big step in the right direction in my eyes. And in 4-5 years we could be a serious contender for the cup again. 

I see us on a slowly but surely upswing from now on & making the playoffs is not out of reach at all next year. Especially when that is our managements goal as well.

35 minutes ago, mpt said:

Daniel is a playmaker, not a sniper.  Just because you score goals doesn't mean your a sniper, it's the type of player you are.  Daniel makes more plays then scores goals.  Would you call Gretzky a sniper?  I wouldn't, and he scored more goals than anyone.

Daniel isn't a shoot first type player, he passes and creates more plays than shoots and scores

Sniper / Goal scorer... In the end it's the same thing, put the puck into the net...

4 hours ago, hearditall said:

Sniper / Goal scorer... In the end it's the same thing, put the puck into the net...

Exactly, for a guy who gets more assists than goals doesn't make him a goal scorer or a sniper.  Daniel is more of a sniper than Henrik, but both guys are playmakers

On 7/1/2016 at 5:34 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I wonder what the going rate actually is for Yakupov in a trade.

After seeing the Hall trade, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up Yakupov for Sbisa, Bartkowski and a 3rd.

Sbisa and a third is too much.  Sbisa alone should do it.  They need defense and Yakupov is redundant in their lineup. Also, he has proven nothing while looking like he doesn't care he's proven nothing.  Not sure I would even want him.  

Archived