The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Really like our new look

vancitybuzz35

I do believe that we should be going into full rebuild mode, but i gotta admit. thinking about the chance to put a pretty good team out their next year is tempting and a lot more fun to watch then a bottom placed team. Aside from that i have to say i really like what benning did to this team in two years. he replaced D men that were older and slower like bieksa, hamhuis and garrison with guys like larsen, hutton, gudbranson and tryamkin. He also changed up our look upfront replacing vrbata, kesler, raymond, higgins, richardson and bonino with baertschi, eriksson, sutter, horvat and virtanen. younger,faster and more dynamic. now i know some of these pieces were already in place before benning got here, but he did a good job surrounding them and molding them to who they are today. Im also really excited to see what larsen can bringt to our lineup next year. i think he has the skill and potential to truly becoming a good point producing d man. i would also like to say benning has done a really great job turning our prospect pool from nothing to a good one.

if all things stand pat our lineup will look like this next year

sedin sedin eriksson

baertschi sutter virtanen

etem horvat hansen

rodin granlund burrows

dorsett

edler tanev

hutton gudbranson

tryamkin larsen

sbisa

markstrom

miller

we have 4 really solid lines, with a true first line and likely 2 (middle 6) lines along with one of the best 4th lines in the league. depending on what kind of progress we see in horvat baertschi and virtanen i think we can be a really dangerous team next year. our centre depth is also very strong

looking at our D i again see 3 solid pairings with more speed and skill than last year. gudbranson will be a beast for us and by seeing the right improvement in larsen tryamkin and hutton we can be dangerous from the back aswell. 

our goaltending is really good as we have 2 number 1 goalies with marky still improving

All in all i see a really good season ahead of us and i know we will make the playoffs

Go Canucks!!!

10 minutes ago, vancitybuzz35 said:

I do believe that we should be going into full rebuild mode, but i gotta admit. thinking about the chance to put a pretty good team out their next year is tempting and a lot more fun to watch then a bottom placed team. Aside from that i have to say i really like what benning did to this team in two years. he replaced D men that were older and slower like bieksa, hamhuis and garrison with guys like larsen, hutton, gudbranson and tryamkin. He also changed up our look upfront replacing vrbata, kesler, raymond, higgins, richardson and bonino with baertschi, eriksson, sutter, horvat and virtanen. younger,faster and more dynamic. now i know some of these pieces were already in place before benning got here, but he did a good job surrounding them and molding them to who they are today. Im also really excited to see what larsen can bringt to our lineup next year. i think he has the skill and potential to truly becoming a good point producing d man. i would also like to say benning has done a really great job turning our prospect pool from nothing to a good one.

if all things stand pat our lineup will look like this next year

sedin sedin eriksson

baertschi sutter virtanen

etem horvat hansen

rodin granlund burrows

dorsett

edler tanev

hutton gudbranson

tryamkin larsen

sbisa

markstrom

miller

we have 4 really solid lines, with a true first line and likely 2 (middle 6) lines along with one of the best 4th lines in the league. depending on what kind of progress we see in horvat baertschi and virtanen i think we can be a really dangerous team next year. our centre depth is also very strong

looking at our D i again see 3 solid pairings with more speed and skill than last year. gudbranson will be a beast for us and by seeing the right improvement in larsen tryamkin and hutton we can be dangerous from the back aswell. 

our goaltending is really good as we have 2 number 1 goalies with marky still improving

All in all i see a really good season ahead of us and i know we will make the playoffs

Go Canucks!!!

I'd swap Horvat/Sutter and Hansen/Virtanen, but yeah, we have a relatively solid roster.

With the drafting of Juolevi,  Boeser and Demko. With the  additions of Gudbranson and Eriksson, as well  along with the likes of the Sedins, Hansen, Horvat, Hutton, Tanev, Tryamkin, Baertschi, Virtanen, Markstrom, and Sutter I'm definitely in love with how this team is shaping up. It's going to be a fun team to watch. Go Canucks go!

Eriksson is a solid upgrade on Vrbata.

Gudbranson is an upgrade to team physicality, more importantly the right side defence.

Lost a solid LD in Hamhuis.

Vey, Bartkowski, and Webers absence is an upgrade.

Rodin and Larsen are ??

LW is weak sauce.  D lacks scoring ability.

This team is going to continue to have trouble creating offence outside the top line.

If able to stay relatively healthy down the middle and on D, they should look similar to the 14/15 squad.  

Still have just over 4M in cap space.  

I know our new prize has history with the twins, but if hansen can repeat last season...

sedin sedin hansen

baertschi horvat eriksson

burrows sutter virtanen

gaunce/etem/rodin granlund dorsett

edler tanev

hutton gudbranson

sbisa larsen/tryamkin

biega

pedan

Who is that gritty forward piece the Canucks want to add via trade? Is he a vet like Hartnell of a younger player who still has some upside like Evander Kane.

Would Evander like to come home and would he be a fit as a guy to mature with the leadership of the Sedins,Gudbranson, Sutter over the years.

People think Lucic is an idiot yet still wanted him. Evander Kane may be not play as physical and be as much of a passer as Lucic but he has the better shot and speed and is younger and cheaper.

His value is never going to be lower. This could be a prime opportunity to inquire about adding Evander for next summer since he only has 2 or 3 years left on his deal before he becomes a UFA.

I wonder what Buffalo would ask in return though. A second rounder, Guance, Granlund, and Grenier would that be enough if they are just wanting to dump him.

absolutely not satisfied with we our "second line." 

Still the same fundamental flaw for almost a decade, we don't have a real second line.  

Eriksson was a great acquisition, but still to play with the sedins. same song as usual. 

Where we stand now, we have a second line composed by Sutter, a 40pts guy (the best of his production yet, for 4.375M !),  Baertschi (28 pts) andddd nobody,  lets say Hansen (38 pts top)...    tell me where do you want to go with that.

In my opinion Sutter's acquisition was a huge mistake, and Baertschi albeit not that unskilled, is a waste of time. 

I still don't get the hype over a guy like Boedker, a guy who has never reach the 20g plateau. I really prefer having Vrbata back for 1 year at 2-3M to solidify our 2nd.  

Just my opinion. 

Should be Baertschi-Horvat-Etem as the second line with  Virtanen-Sutter-Hansen as our third line. Baertschi and Horvat developed chemistry over the year which led to Baertschi's hot streak and Etem just fit in like a glove when the three were together.

7 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Still the same fundamental flaw for almost a decade, we don't have a real second line.  

Eriksson was a great acquisition, but still to play with the sedins. same song as usual. 

Where we stand now, we have a second line composed by Sutter, a 40pts guy (the best of his production yet, for 4.375M !),  Baertschi (28 pts) andddd nobody,  lets say Hansen (38 pts top)...    tell me where do you want to go with that.

In my opinion Sutter's acquisition was a huge mistake, and Baertschi albeit not that unskilled, is a waste of time. 

I still don't get the hype over a guy like Boedker, a guy who has never reach the 20g plateau. I really prefer having Vrbata back for 1 year at 2-3M to solidify our 2nd.  

Just my opinion. 

I have to say I completely agree with that. We are still 2 important pieces away from being contender. One as you mentioned is a pure goal scorer for the second line. Do we spend on someone like that and lock into a long term contract ( likely the case for a player of this type) or do we wait to see if any of our new signings ie. Rodin, Bae can separate themselves and produce at 2nd line rate. Or maybe we should just wait for Boeser.. See it's not only about the now but also for the future. I was desperately hoping for vanek today but he got signed else where. He easily puts up 20 goals each season, and he plays a strong gritty game around the crease. Too bad. 

The second is a scoring dman. We don't really have one. Maybe Hutton can step up. Maybe Larsen or Tanev. There's potential there. A lot of it, so we should wait and see if any of these guys can fullfill that need.

if  we are really trying to be competuitive and not just to get into playoffs but to challenge for the cup then Benning will address those needs at trade deadline. If not then count me in the confused camp.

34 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Just my opinion. 

Vrbata became a cancer that you don't want around the younger kids.

Horvat is most likley our second line going into next year when he showed he could handle the duties.

Baertschi and Horvat had terrible starts to the season. They got going post all star game and were producing at a second line rate. A great second line even. Hansen will most likely move down to the third line with Sutter which gives as a agood third line. Virtanen will hopefull improve and be a third threat on the second line.

30 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Our new look consists of one free agent signing.  Most teams signed several NHL players yesterday, except for us.  Make of that what you will, but what the hell are you talking about with "our new look"?

New players that were not on the roster at the start of last season

Eriksson

Granlund

Etem

Rodin

Gudbranson

Tryamkin

Philip Larsen

1 hour ago, ArcticSpencer said:

We have 8,050,000 cap locked into our fourth line, as in Burrows , Grandlund , Dorsett. That's pretty expensive for a low minute grinding line.

Half is off the books at season's end. Tribute to Burr(was a 4 yr hero, for 2 mill), let's just enjoy a balanced team, & accept the numbers.

1 hour ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Just my opinion. 

You're 100% right. Baertschi is not unskilled.

32 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

You're 100% right. Baertschi is not unskilled.

i don't get your point, AHL highlights? Shinkaruk was an AHL allstar and that wasn't enough. Sven can be a pure genius with amazing hand in his iced backyard, i'm talking about his offensive production in the NHL. anything else doesn't matter. 

let my ask you this way : are you confident with a 24 years old,  28 pts guy in our top 6, while the offense finished second-to-last ?   

Archived