The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The last piece - "a winger that has some grit and size to him, that can score." - via trade

Benning has been consistently forthright in his intentions with our team.  In yesterdays press release, he confirmed he wants one more player, described as:

"a winger that has some grit and size to him, that can score."  who  "has some skill...can play with good players, but has a little ruggedness to him."

He also confirmed that he will seek this player via trade, and is willing to spend to the cap. 

Considering we were reportedly in the mix for guys like Brouwer (who fits this description), it's safe to assume that JB will consider players in their 30's. 

Based on this description, and other teams' needs, can we compile a shortlist of his potential targets? 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Benning has been consistently forthright in his intentions with our team.  In yesterdays press release, he confirmed he wants one more player, described as:

"a winger that has some grit and size to him, that can score."  who  "has some skill...can play with good players, but has a little ruggedness to him."

He also confirmed that he will seek this player via trade, and is willing to spend to the cap. 

Considering we were reportedly in the mix for guys like Brouwer (who fits this description), it's safe to assume that JB will consider players in their 30's. 

Based on this description, and other teams' needs, can we compile a shortlist of his potential targets? 

Landescog.  If JB is looking at a trade, then Tanev for Landescog.  Considering the Larson trade for Hall, does this seem fair?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Landescog.  If JB is looking at a trade, then Tanev for Landescog.  Considering the Larson trade for Hall, does this seem fair?

I don't think Colorado is as desperate for D as Edmonton was.  Also, unfairly or not, Tanev doesn't have the same pedegree as the high 1st round pick in Larsen.  I doubt Colorado even considers that trade.

Just now, Dral said:

The hall trade wasn't fair....

Yes, I see it that way too.  Tanev is a better shut down guy than Larson though, so maybe he's worth Ladescog in the current market?  I really think Tanev is an exceptionally good player, and don't want to see him traded unless the return is a younger top line winger - exactly like JB described.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would cripple the defense and the Avs wont accept either way. 

I am more worried about what assets will be given up than the target. I would like to keep our 2nd this year.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His play on the ice is great.  Why not him?

Cause his play on the ice really isn't that great other than the 2011-12 and 12-13 seasons. Not to mention the apparent off-ice issues and his overwhelming ego.

This picture says it all:

fcc20780-b6f3-11e4-8a9b-61090ac450e8_fas

Byfuglien, by all accounts, is a nice guy- there's been complaints that he's too nice

Just now, Alflives said:

Yes, I see it that way too.  Tanev is a better shut down guy than Larson though, so maybe he's worth Ladescog in the current market?  I really think Tanev is an exceptionally good player, and don't want to see him traded unless the return is a younger top line winger - exactly like JB described.

would also take more then that for their captain...

7 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Just about anybody other than Evander Kane, please.

Hard pass on Evander Kane, he's cancer in the dressing room. That will only cause more problems than solve. 

Landeskog would certainly be a player to look into.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would be surprised that they are looking to trade him.  The problem with Colorado is that they have limited spending and if they bring in young players then there's the risk of arbitration - re Barrie likely heading that way as well as RoR.  Landeskog is signed for the next 5 years. 

I could see them wanting to move Iginla though - it's his last year.  He has an NMC but Colorado is unlikely to go anywhere this year.  They also talked of wanting to bring in their young players.  

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

I am more worried about what assets will be given up than the target. I would like to keep our 2nd this year.

Not that I think the Canucks would swing a deal for Landeskog, but there are reports he could be available. 

5 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Cause his play on the ice really isn't that great other than the 2011-12 and 12-13 seasons. Not to mention the apparent off-ice issues and his overwhelming ego.

This picture says it all:

fcc20780-b6f3-11e4-8a9b-61090ac450e8_fas

Byfuglien, by all accounts, is a nice guy- there's been complaints that he's too nice

Holy crap!  Kane must be EXTREMELY selfish for Buff to do that.  Would Buff's reaction to Kane's (seeming to care about his teammate's) indicate Kane's interest in his mates is a facade? 

7 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Not that I think the Canucks would swing a deal for Landeskog, but there are reports he could be available. 

He fits the description well, and is only 23 years old.  I haven't watched him play recently - why would Colorado consider parting with him?

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

I would like us to collect more seconds and thirds:).  I read that Landescog was available.  If we are going to trade young assets and (or) picks, I would hope JB returns a top line forward who is 24 or younger.  JB stated he LOVES Tanev, so I doubt he trades him.  At the recent WHC Tanev was not on the ice for a 5 on 5 goal against.  

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

So Matt Martin was available...what happened there.

I would've liked him too but I don't think they could justify having both him and Dorsett on contracts like that. He might've preferred to go "home" to Toronto too.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy crap!  Kane must be EXTREMELY selfish for Buff to do that.  Would Buff's reaction to Kane's (seeming to care about his teammate's) indicate Kane's interest in his mates is a facade? 

That would be my guess. I think he was trying to save a little face. @Monty would probably be the best person to ask about this subject.

Archived