The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Confused Yet? I know I am. ....

Bertorama

This is a bit of a random post  but my confusion warrants enough to make me believe there are others just as confused.  

I'm a long to mid range time Canuck Fan. let's say I've been heavily invested since I was 6 years old listening to Jimmy H on the radio in the 80's in bed hiding from the parents while he was calling the game. 

I personally felt the most connected when we had the west coast express, speed aggressive and talented. Nazzy, Bert, Morrison. Kirk McLean and Trevor linden are my role models because I was a kid looking up to men but not my era.  Then there is the run in 2011 and the and we get to the cup finals on the back of Players like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, and Lou but the team doesn't finish. 

I'm looking at this years roster and I've never felt more disconnected in who we have on the roster. I hear Benning speaking and Linden is around proposing future potential but I haven't witnessed urgency. 

What worries me is the lack of connection there is to the players. Who is the heart and soul of this team we all connect with? Who is going to lead this team past every other NHL team challenging top spot.  

I hear a lot of branding and Language  around "character" is being added from Benning.

We have a season to prove it all wrong but unless this team finds a legit way to connect with fans and the Canucks community that cares I am worried for the year and future.

I really need to hear some perspective from different tenured Canuck fans. 

What is this team about that I'm missing ?  is it anything we can feel connected too? If so. Why?

Think of it as something fluid, for the time being. That's the best way I can explain it. The next core just isn't set in stone yet. If you're looking for some firmer footing though, it's there. Bo Horvat comes to mind. 

Given your long-time tenure, you must have witnessed transitions before and this is no different. You're looking for the "face" of the next generation, if I'm understanding you correctly. Perhaps try looking at it holistically, for now. I see a team identity forming, rather than a collection of individuals. When you look at it this way, you see what Benning is really going for and it's enormously encouraging. This is going to be a very well balanced team, a little lighter on "star power", perhaps, but I think that the end results are going to be fantastic. Rather than cheering for individual players, it's going to be about cheering for the team. And that's how it's supposed to be, right? 

But, to contradict myself, I still thoroughly enjoy watching the development of players like Horvat. And if you want more to watch for, there's plenty: Baertschi, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Boeser, etc. There are a lot of moving parts to keep your eyes on. I am connecting with this team based on those young players. While some people bemoaned last season - and I'll admit that I did not enjoy losing as much as we did - I still watched the games with anticipation because I was keeping my eyes on our youth and their development. Focus on that for now, it will come together (sooner than some realize).

We are unmistakably heading in the right direction, and I think you'll see that in the coming season quite clearly.  

So essentially you are just waiting for our next big superstar. Well, since we only started remaking the team 3 years ago, we still have another 3 years to go in our wait. Right now, only Bo looks like the real deal, the rest we have no idea how they will end up. Maybe Boeser or Demko will come through, we just do not know right now. During the transition period, we do not know what kind of identity this team will have and I believe that is the confusion. You mentioned the WCE era, well that team was built on offence and excitement, as for this current squad we just have to be patient :)

46 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

This is a bit of a random post  but my confusion warrants enough to make me believe there are others just as confused.  

I'm a long to mid range time Canuck Fan. let's say I've been heavily invested since I was 6 years old listening to Jimmy H on the radio in the 80's in bed hiding from the parents while he was calling the game. 

I personally felt the most connected when we had the west coast express, speed aggressive and talented. Nazzy, Bert, Morrison. Kirk McLean and Trevor linden are my role models because I was a kid looking up to men but not my era.  Then there is the run in 2011 and the and we get to the cup finals on the back of Players like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, and Lou but the team doesn't finish. 

I'm looking at this years roster and I've never felt more disconnected in who we have on the roster. I hear Benning speaking and Linden is around proposing future potential but I haven't witnessed urgency. 

What worries me is the lack of connection there is to the players. Who is the heart and soul of this team we all connect with? Who is going to lead this team past every other NHL team challenging top spot.  

I hear a lot of branding and Language  around "character" is being added from Benning.

We have a season to prove it all wrong but unless this team finds a legit way to connect with fans and the Canucks community that cares I am worried for the year and future.

What is this team about that I'm missing ?  is it anything we can feel connected too? If so. Why?

I have a feeling that we have that player you will connect to already. He just hasn't had a chance to get you connected yet.

1 hour ago, Remy said:

Think of it as something fluid, for the time being. That's the best way I can explain it. The next core just isn't set in stone yet. If you're looking for some firmer footing though, it's there. Bo Horvat comes to mind. 

Given your long-time tenure, you must have witnessed transitions before and this is no different. You're looking for the "face" of the next generation, if I'm understanding you correctly. Perhaps try looking at it holistically, for now. I see a team identity forming, rather than a collection of individuals. When you look at it this way, you see what Benning is really going for and it's enormously encouraging. This is going to be a very well balanced team, a little lighter on "star power", perhaps, but I think that the end results are going to be fantastic. Rather than cheering for individual players, it's going to be about cheering for the team. And that's how it's supposed to be, right? 

But, to contradict myself, I still thoroughly enjoy watching the development of players like Horvat. And if you want more to watch for, there's plenty: Baertschi, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Boeser, etc. There are a lot of moving parts to keep your eyes on. I am connecting with this team based on those young players. While some people bemoaned last season - and I'll admit that I did not enjoy losing as much as we did - I still watched the games with anticipation because I was keeping my eyes on our youth and their development. Focus on that for now, it will come together (sooner than some realize).

We are unmistakably heading in the right direction, and I think you'll see that in the coming season quite clearly.  

Well said.

You feel a disconnect with our current roster because the newcomers are exactly that, newcomers. Just wait 1 or 2 seasons from now. If the young guys start producing good results as the main drivers of the team. You will be excited and feel that reconnection. Dont worry your not alone and its understandable. 

I'm with you a bit. I don't feel as connected as I was in the past. I like the Sedins but they aren't the players I love on the team. It's like has been mentioned, the identity is reforming with this group. Benning does talk about character and it's there and it's starting to come through but there is a shifting of the old gaurd. The Sedins are still the leaders so have to have patiences with who's growing behind them. I'm excited by Horvat. I really think he'll be an amazing player and leader for us. Trymankin is also fun because they guy is huge. I'm also excited to see Gudbranson. I'm not expecting crushing hits but the tough, hard play and sticking up for teammates. I was excited by McCann but he's gone now so I'll watch him on another team. I'll admit it's confusing at times because we haven't gone and gotten a super star and so many teams build that way but we have youth and you need to be patient and see what develops. I'm excited to watch the team as a whole and see who starts to stand out for me.

To be honest, I always  feel disconnected in the summer as hockey has faded out.  I miss it and there's a huge void.

In getting rid of some heart and soul long time Canucks (Bieksa and, yes...love him or hate him, Kesler), it's very different.  Names that have always been there are gone.   Lu, Hammer.  There was a comfort (zone) there...but that was part of the problem (too).

Change is always weird for me but I'm giving it a chance to develop and already love the passion we see from Hutton.  Virtanen's big hits.  They've grown on me in a very short time and it won't be long before there is a connection.

The Sedins are the leaders and Bo is already establishing himself in following in that.  Both on and off ice.  Burrows (again, love him or hate him) is part of the glue that holds it together at times.  Hansen came shining through and has always been an unsung hero...maybe time to give him some credit where it's due.  Edler needs to embrace his role as a veteran on the team now and I have hope that will happen.  Tanev...quietly goes about his business and that's ok...maybe laying low and out of the spotlight is a good thing in the end?

A lot of prospective players waiting in the wings.

Patience...it'll come together. 

6 hours ago, Bertorama said:

I gather by reading the posts that you are the same age as two of my (much) younger siblings, who also pine for the Naslund days (and think Matt Cooke was awesome!).  Personally my faves were the 91-96 teams...could it be age that is providing the disconnect more than anything?

The 2011 team was the best team by far we ever had, two presidents trophys and 5 100+ point finishes in a row......even with the loser point nowhere in our history were we so dominant, as well ever considered contender's by the media except then.  I am sure those people growing up watching that are going to pine for the days of Lou, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, etc and wonder who th f*&k these new players are and why they are not as awesome as the players I used to watch...

6 hours ago, Bertorama said:

6 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

My money's on Bo and/or Boeser. 

I have a feeling smilin' Ben Hutton is gonna turn some heads. 

Juice said Tanman looked so cool he could smoke a cigarette back there.

Hutton makes Tanman look uptight. To see someone wear 27 again (love you 'Haaaaaarold') is just so awesome.

i find it a little strange how benning's supporters seem to be easily re-assured he is doing the right things , as for me i don't see much of a plan that looks like he wants a cup winning team ,all i hear is we want to be competitive and make the play offs every year, that sounds like aquillini saying i want money every year out of play off revenue even if it is only one round and we never win a cup ,this year should tell the tale on benning's team and the players he brought in and the ones he got rid of ,me i need more convincing

9 hours ago, Bertorama said:

I'm really into watching good hockey.  I'm not really sure what it is that you're into, but you sure seem to have a lot of emotions going on.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I gather by reading the posts that you are the same age as two of my (much) younger siblings, who also pine for the Naslund days (and think Matt Cooke was awesome!).  Personally my faves were the 91-96 teams...could it be age that is providing the disconnect more than anything?

The 2011 team was the best team by far we ever had, two presidents trophys and 5 100+ point finishes in a row......even with the loser point nowhere in our history were we so dominant, as well ever considered contender's by the media except then.  I am sure those people growing up watching that are going to pine for the days of Lou, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, etc and wonder who th f*&k these new players are and why they are not as awesome as the players I used to watch...

Yes....it could well be that you will never fall in love with the players in the way that you did as a kid.  

Lots of people can accept that.  I'm not sure that the feeling the op looking for is all that desirable.

29 minutes ago, obee said:

i find it a little strange how benning's supporters seem to be easily re-assured he is doing the right things , as for me i don't see much of a plan that looks like he wants a cup winning team ,all i hear is we want to be competitive and make the play offs every year, that sounds like aquillini saying i want money every year out of play off revenue even if it is only one round and we never win a cup ,this year should tell the tale on benning's team and the players he brought in and the ones he got rid of ,me i need more convincing

You can't have a cup winning team without being competitive first, it's that simple. Honestly I don't know where this idea that Benning isn't trying to build a winning team is coming from. Our defense is already a lot better than when he took over, our prospect pool is a lot deeper, our forward group is still a work in progress- but Benning is very active in trying (and succeeding) improve it, the leadership qualities in our younger players seem to be there in spades.

Benning's detractors say that because he trades 2nd rounders,or because we're not tanking, he'll never build a winner. This is total nonsense, you don't have to stockpile draft picks by selling off all the vets, you don't have to suck for 5-10 years. What matters is the composition of the team you built. Does the team have the all the ingredients (offense, defense,leadership, grit etc) needed to go far in the playoffs? Is the team well balanced? The Canucks still have a way to go, but is well on the way to have the right kind of TEAM needed to win the cup. Benning is doing just fine, just give him time.

8 hours ago, Bertorama said:

It's age man :lol: Been there done that countless times. It's like when your wife gets on to you about painting a room, the first couple of times you do it with a degree of interest but after painting the same room 2-3 times the fun subsides :lol: I've seen the ups and down spread over 40 plus years and it takes a stick of dynamite to catch my attention now. Most GM's don't want to make public specifics, for good reason. They prefer to generalize allowing just enough to interest fans ( & sell tickets) while never making promises they can be held to ...just like politicians... nothing you can call them on down the road

Simply put, we're a team in transition, and, like with all transitions, sometimes you just need to be patient and wait for certain things to cement themselves.

The old core isn't quite gone yet, but the new core hasn't quite been put in place yet. Last year, this year, and probably the next couple of years will all be transitional seasons. Doesn't mean we can't put a decent product on the ice in the process.

Archived