Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster


Patrick Kane

Recommended Posts

The cream always rises to the top and we need a shut down line...

 

Sedins / Eriksson
Baertschi / Horvat / Rodin or Virtanen
Burrows / Sutter / Hansen
Etem / Granlund or Gaunce / Virtanen or Dorsett
 
I expect Rodin and Baertschi to push each other and Horvat should be the guy to glue them together.
Super shut down 2B line and maybe Etem, Gaunce and Virtanen can bump some bodies and get a few goals...
 
...this could be magic...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Probably the same amount as we see guys like Baertschi (10lbs heavier), Burrows (8lbs heavier), Eriksson (3lbs heavier), or Granlund (2lbs lighter) do. Hell, Sutter's only 190lbs and the Sedins are about the same weight as Burrows based on their weights on the roster page. You're again putting far too much stock in one number which relatively means very little.

 

Sure, he'd have a lot easier time standing in front of the net if he was Virtanen's size, but it's certainly not his role to stand there and take that kind of punishment. His style of play is to find holes in the defence and exploit them rather than take on players head on. He'll have to stand up to going into the corners of course, and how well he handles the increased physical play matters, but you're writing him off based on his play from 3 seasons ago and some stats without backing it up using anything more useful (or more recent) than what I can tell by having watched some of his more recent play through YouTube.

 

He's grown as a player, and while he certainly still has question marks about how that translates to the NHL, you should be more open minded to the possibility of him being a successful offensive-minded player in our top 9.

So you think stats and size are numbers that mean relatively little? What make you think this kid is going to be a bonafide top 6 player in the NHL then? I hope your right and he turns out to be real good for Nucks next year, but Im not ready to pencil him in the top 6 when he hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet. Also hope Im not comming off the wrong way, enjoy the discussion tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Points from 3 seasons ago and being 180lbs do mean relatively little, yes. And, as I've stated, I think he'll be a top 9 player considering we have two 2nd lines.

 

The other possibility is he doesn't make it and struggles at the bottom end of the roster. Maybe he accepts a bit of time in the AHL (maybe even on a conditioning stint if he doesn't end up playing much) but it'd be more likely in this latter scenario that both parties would chalk it up as a failed experiment and he'd head home part way through the season.

 

What they won't do is start him in the bottom end of the roster.You can bet they'll give him lots of opportunity in pre-season as a top 6 player. It's up to him if he sticks there or if we see the other scenario play out.

 

Discussion is good, I just think you're discounting (or not even considering) his recent play too much to think he can't possibly be on a line with Horvat or Sutter behind the Sedins, especially on a roster drawn up by fans well before training camp even starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They dont mean little when its the only time hes played on a NHL sized rink and struggled badly doing so. I think your putting to much into his numbers in sweden, as a 20 yr old in sweden he put up ok numbers 53g 26pts, two years later in the AHL 49g 14p, with a team worst -11 amongst forwards. His points cut in half going from sweden to the ahl, cant wait to see what happenens when he goes from sweden to the NHL! I guess only time will tell tho. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time will tell for sure. I'm not saying he's going to be the same MVP player as last year in Sweden but on NA ice, just that he'll be given the opportunity in one of those top 3 lines so it's completely realistic that people would be pencilling him in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, davydgoliath said:

Burrows on the 2nd line and Hansen on the 3rd or 4th? Don't know about that one.

Burrow's days as a top 6 winger are over, Hansen just had a career year. 

I like the rest of you lineup though. 

I understand what you mean, but he showed flashes of chemistry with Sutter last season while Sutter wasn't injured. Otherwise he would be on the 4th line, and Hansen would take his spot; Burrows takes Etem's or Dorsett's. Etem plays with Baertschi and Horvat if Virtanen is sent to the minors, should this occur. I would just like to see how well Burr plays with Sutter. If they do well, keep him there. If not, he is on the 4th line. I just hope Burrows isn't shifted with linemates too much. That's one of the reasons for his bad season last year, imo. Horvat and Baertschi have real chemistry, that's the one thing I don't want changed in the line-up. Hansen is great because he can really play with almost anyone. He was able to play with the Sedins last year (career-year, not surprisingly), but has played before with Horvat, Sutter and Dorsett in the past, so he has familiarity on all 4 lines; it's why I only have multiple options for him. He can also switch with Rodin if necessary. Hansen is always the unsung hero, really :frantic:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dragonass said:

I think that would be the best move we could make but will it happen ? I hear Kane has some issues and Van city isn't a good town to stop getting into trouble but on paper our roster looks much better with him on it. Not having to waiver our prospects is good asset management . One question though, what to you see in Megna that he makes our roster ?

I think Megna is a lot further along than guys like Gaunce or Grenier. Don't see anything special about him but I think to fill in an injury hole in the bottom 6, he's probably a safer option. He's NHL ready, I don't think Gaunce is. His offense needs to develop more, even for a 4th line spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good roster and good graphic. I think Bo is going to take 3C and his line will work more like a 2B. But that's nitpicking and not a bad team.

 

I also see Benning pulling the trigger on Evander Kane and solidifying the second line with real potential. Sbisa and a piece for Kane. His value is at an all time low, and Buffalo is looking to move him. He would be a perfect fit for us. I'm not concerned about his reported low character, or at least as much as Buffalo. If he came home to Vancouver and was surrounded by family, I think his 2 sisters, and his parents can reach him, as they are such a close tight knit family. Playing in front of them night in night out, and communicating with them consistently should be able to get him to straighten up. I think Benning is just concerned about the filed police reports and wants to see how it turns out. No charges have been made, so he's a long way from being guilty. Remember Patrick Kane guys. Don't indict a man as guilty just because he as a "bad boy" image. A lot of people in this world target those type of people because they know it can work. He would be perfect to take on the second line role until the Sedins retire, and he's fully matured. He can then move up into his first line role, making Baertschi a bonifide second line guy etc. He is also a guy who could switch with Daniel and play with Henrik if the Sedins need to be broken up for some reason.

 

Also, I should note, I would love to bring in Landeskog, even more than Kane. But the difference is, Landeskog will cost an arm and a leg, ruin the team, or require us to give up a lot of our youth. Kane however, can be had for a relatively modest price. Sbisa and a forward piece should be enough to snag him out of Buffalo. For the sake of the line combination I'm just going to say Etem, but the forward piece wouldn't necesarily be him. He's just a lessor version of Kane at the same age. But anyway, I digress.

 

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Kane - Sutter - Hansen/Virtanen/Rodin

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen/Hansen/Rodin

Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

(Gaunce, someone on this roster will lose out, but that's good for us. It means we have a deep team with good reserves. Ima just say Dorsett for as of now.)

 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen 

(Pedan)

 

Miller and Markstrom split.

 

Our defence, center and left wing would be very strong, and our right side is very interchangable. But that is a good team, with good vets, and a lot of young talent. And everyone is put in a true place to succeed and catered to their abilities. That's a playoff team if you ask me

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheLiveWire said:

Good roster and good graphic. I think Bo is going to take 3C and his line will work more like a 2B. But that's nitpicking and not a bad team.

 

I also see Benning pulling the trigger on Evander Kane and solidifying the second line with real potential. Sbisa and a piece for Kane. His value is at an all time low, and Buffalo is looking to move him. He would be a perfect fit for us. I'm not concerned about his reported low character, or at least as much as Buffalo. If he came home to Vancouver and was surrounded by family, I think his 2 sisters, and his parents can reach him, as they are such a close tight knit family. Playing in front of them night in night out, and communicating with them consistently should be able to get him to straighten up. I think Benning is just concerned about the filed police reports and wants to see how it turns out. No charges have been made, so he's a long way from being guilty. Remember Patrick Kane guys. Don't indict a man as guilty just because he as a "bad boy" image. A lot of people in this world target those type of people because they know it can work. He would be perfect to take on the second line role until the Sedins retire, and he's fully matured. He can then move up into his first line role, making Baertschi a bonifide second line guy etc. He is also a guy who could switch with Daniel and play with Henrik if the Sedins need to be broken up for some reason.

 

Also, I should note, I would love to bring in Landeskog, even more than Kane. But the difference is, Landeskog will cost an arm and a leg, ruin the team, or require us to give up a lot of our youth. Kane however, can be had for a relatively modest price. Sbisa and a forward piece should be enough to snag him out of Buffalo. For the sake of the line combination I'm just going to say Etem, but the forward piece wouldn't necesarily be him. He's just a lessor version of Kane at the same age. But anyway, I digress.

 

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Kane - Sutter - Hansen/Virtanen/Rodin

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen/Hansen/Rodin

Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

(Gaunce, someone on this roster will lose out, but that's good for us. It means we have a deep team with good reserves. Ima just say Dorsett for as of now.)

 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen 

(Pedan)

 

Miller and Markstrom split.

 

Our defence, center and left wing would be very strong, and our right side is very interchangable. But that is a good team, with good vets, and a lot of young talent. And everyone is put in a true place to succeed and catered to their abilities. That's a playoff team if you ask me

 

 

What would it realistically take to get Kane ???

Rumors have it that if he is not traded he will be bought out

So y give up anything at all when you can get him cheaper after a buyout if he will come back to his home town

Will he come back or would he rather play in a place like Florida (taxes and weather) Zona (under the radar)

I hear he does not wanna come back yet would love to have him as his skill and grit (what JB is looking for) are there if you can unleash it

 

 

Virtanen starts in Utica

Hansen traded for 1st & a 3rd Edler traded for 1st two 2nd's and a 3rd

Trade Dorsett and Sbisa for E. Kane and Zack Bogosian (they have to give up more to get rid of Kane as a buyout will be pricey)

 

 

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Bearschi - Sutter - Kane

Etem  - Horvat - Rodin

Gaunce - Granlund - Burrows

Zalweski / Grenier

 

 

Bogosian - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen 

Pedan / Biega

 

 


Just a thought if we are to get E Kane  (but I don't think we will)

Ps one of the highlighted will have to be traded or risk waivers

So they may even send Gaunce down to start as he does not have to clear

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A buyout wouldn't be until next year, and that is still a maybe. A talent like Kane, if he turns things around in 1 season, he won't get bought out. But it's a fair point that if we did wait until he became a free agent, we would have a good chance at signing him, but that's not necesarilly true. I would argue that it would be better to trade for him, show him that we value him, and have him start his turnaround in Vancouver, That would almost certainly solidify him as a Canuck for the long future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016-07-04 at 10:58 PM, TheLiveWire said:

A buyout wouldn't be until next year, and that is still a maybe. A talent like Kane, if he turns things around in 1 season, he won't get bought out. But it's a fair point that if we did wait until he became a free agent, we would have a good chance at signing him, but that's not necesarilly true. I would argue that it would be better to trade for him, show him that we value him, and have him start his turnaround in Vancouver, That would almost certainly solidify him as a Canuck for the long future. 

Is there not another buyout window in August ??? ANYONE KNOW

I thought Bob Mackenzie said there was

He was on 1040 but maybe I was mistaken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016/7/3 at 5:40 PM, Jaku said:

I would much prefer if Markstrom started, but that may not be the case. Does anyone think Demko can crack the roster in his of pro? I don't necessarily think he will, but I'm just wondering if he's capable of a NHL role yet.  

 

EDIT: Can Juolevi be in the mix also? Thoughts on that? 

Saw them practice at the development camp and I would say for Demko it would best for him to start at Utica get some pro-games under his belt and if anyone of our goalies gets injured, we will call him up as a back-up and if there is a back to back we may see his first NHL action. And Demko also said on the radio and told the fans who have talked to him at Shawnigan Lake that he is preparing himself for some games in the AHL in Utica first.

 

As of Juolevi, he is likely going to have one more year in London because he is still young and can always use more time to develop in the juniors. Don't forget he only played one year of junior in North American ice so it will be tough to jump from juniors to the NHL with only one year of experience of small ice. He is a very smart player, and we don't want to rush him and damage his confidence by throwing him the a pack of wolves. But I like his attitude as he said on the radio he doesn't want to come to camp thinking he isn't going to make the roster, he is coming to camp to hope to earn a roster spot, which shows his passion.

 

We have got two really good players upcoming for us! ::D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris Kreider is a fellow that I believe fits what Benning is trying to acquire.  Younger, fast, can score and play physical.  He's set to go to arbitration and was paid $4.95M last year.  If he's to get a raise could this entice NYR to move him?

 

Danny Hank Eriksson

Kreider Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Bo Virtanen

Burrows Granlund Rodin

(Etem, Dorsett)

 

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbransen 

Sbisa Tryamkin

(Larsen, Biega, Pedan)

I think Larsen is in most nights if Canucks decide to dress 7 Dmen.  I see Sbisa and Tryamkin alternating games in the press box often so Larsen can get in and play the PP.

 

I can see us offering Sbisa, Dorsett, a high pick plus mid pick to NYR for Kreider and a body with an underwhelming contract.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the OP's roster, but switch the 2nd and 3rd lines.

 

Really liking how our special teams is shaping up too with the addition of Eriksson and Gudbranson

 

PP1

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Edler-Hutton

PP2: Sven, Bo, Hansen, Sutter, Tryamkin, Larsen (solid secondary support)

 

PK1

Sutter-Eriksson

Tanev-Edler

PK2: Bo, Hansen, Gudbranson, Hutton, and Sbisa....Not too shabby

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2016 at 5:41 PM, shayster007 said:

I don't think we see Jake in the opening lineup. I think he's sent down and plays top line minutes in Utica. 

 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Etem-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Gralund-Dorsett

Pedan

 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Tryamkin

Larsen

 

Miller/Marky split

 

Pedan is 4th line fill in and Larson is 7th D

Good call, except I don't think Pedan will be the 13th forward. Last year's experiment was not a big success. If he makes the team it will probably be as the 8th D.

 

Virtanen might go to Utica but I think the chances are good that he makes the team and Etem drops to 13th man. But with injuries all 13 guys will play a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would start Hansen on the second line as the guy has earned it. Sutter and Horvat can be interchangeable.  The good news is that we have two 2cnd lines as opposed to a clear cut third line, although it depends a lot on Sutter's health and how the young guys do. 

 

I hope they start Markstrom as well.

 

On paper we look pretty good, but I still feel it will be a transition season and we will be lucky if we make the play offs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel Gaunce is going to have a good camp....not sure where he'll fits in tho.

line up OP made looks good....very interested in seeing Rodin play as well as Larson with Tryamkin. 

I really can't wait for Gudbranson smashing Alberta teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

Is there not another buyout window in August ??? ANYONE KNOW

I thought Bob Mackenzie said there was

He was on 1040 but maybe I was mistaken

The second buyout window is only available to teams with players going to arbitration. It's meant as a get out of jail card if a team is forced into a richer contract than they were expecting for a player they don't want to lose. They could then buyout another player in order to keep the other if necessary.

 

 

We don't have any players going to arbitration (Buffalo doesn't either) so we can't use that buyout window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...