The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

14 or 17, FerGawdsakes!!!

Didn't even check which teams, cos I have NO life-time to commit to baseball, but I noticed(TSN site) 2 MLB teams scored these ridiculous numbers today.

Yet I'm guessing for the embarrassed opponents, the sun still rises the following day.

Traditionalists hum & haw over this, but I'd like to see more offense in the great game of ice hockey. We took our Oiler-drubbings in the 80's, yet the world still turned like a soap opera.

So DON'T argue with me..I'm sensitive. If you don't like the notion, surely there's a thread out there waiting for you! :^) IDEAS please! Like creativity lots.. Any ideas to get more offense into this ice-soccer? Ideally, I'd love to see the league avg at 8 or 9 goals(both teams, of course!), per game.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Didn't even check which teams, cos I have NO life-time to commit to baseball, but I noticed(TSN site) 2 MLB teams scored these ridiculous numbers today.

Yet I'm guessing for the embarrassed opponents, the sun still rises the following day.

Traditionalists hum & haw over this, but I'd like to see more offense in the great game of ice hockey. We took our Oiler-drubbings in the 80's, yet the world still turned like a soap opera.

So DON'T argue with me..I'm sensitive. If you don't like the notion, surely there's a thread out there waiting for you! :^) IDEAS please! Like creativity lots.. Any ideas to get more offense into this ice-soccer? Ideally, I'd love to see the league avg at 8 or 9 goals(both teams, of course!), per game.

Btw, on Saturday the Angels annihilated the Red Sox 21-2.

Yet Baseball have the same problems as hockey, batting average keep decreasing and they are trying too to favor the batter.  It's hard to do without changing the game.

Just now, timberz21 said:

Btw, on Saturday the Angels annihilated the Red Sox 21-2.

Yet Baseball have the same problems as hockey, batting average keep decreasing and they are trying too to favor the batter.  It's hard to do without changing the game.

Does seem a delicate balance. That said, I'm convinced a few changes could open the game up for fans of offense.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Does seem a delicate balance. That said, I'm convinced a few changes could open the game up for fans of offense.

But I think we need to increase the ice surface but that almost impossible to do because of old arena configuration. 

Guys are bigger, faster, stronger  and over the years, the ratio of ice coverage in a timespan by players keeps decreasing making harder to get a nice flow to the game.  Increasing the ice surface would allow to restore a part of this ratio.  I don't want to adopt the Olympics ice size, because it's a different game because while the ice is bigger (wider), the blue lines (offensive zone) are actually shorter than the NHL and neutral zone longer.

What I would suggest is increasing all the measurement in the same proportion.  Right now the neutral zone in the NHL is 50ft or 25% (50/200ft).  If we increase the ice size by 10 feet, well keep the neutral zone 25% of the ice surface at 52.5ft long, etc.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I like the WHC rule where even if you score on a delayed penalty, you still get a PP. I don't think it will have a huge effect on scoring but it will help a little without changing the game too much.

I agree, but thats the first part.  The second part is the referee needs to continue to apply the rulebook to the letter.   Because what I see happening with this rule is, since penalties will impact the game even more, Refs will lay off hooking and interference calls (especially in 3rd period or playoff) and the pace of the game will go back to what it was in the early 2000s.

So if we go with this, they need to be even harsher on penalty calls for players to really change their playing style and stop to hooking and interference.

If a player deliberately injures an opponent, punish the team, as well as the player. Especially applies for PO series.

Choose 6 best players on each team. Before next game is played, one of those players must sit(roll a die..whatever). So if a 4th line goon illegally takes out opposing star, that team should also lose a star off their roster, for as many games as the opponent misses. Make goons accountable to their teammates, & this would disappear from the game.

Rules that provide firm deterents, would take the needless crap(Avery, Rinaldo, Torres type) out of the game. With all the cameras nowadays, it wouldn't be difficult.

42 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

No sliding shot-blocks by fwds. Do traditionalists find this play incredibly exciting?

HEY! That's my meat n' taters! Without it I'm just another plug/grinder out there...that and the odd pitchfork to the junk (it's my go-to at my age...I just can't keep up to all them youngens out there).

But seriously, get rid of the goons, increase the ice-surface by 5%, make the goalie's gear slightly smaller and clamp down on the interference that slows down your linemates from jumping up in the play...FAR too much of that crap going on in very sneaky ways behind the scenes...all the backcheckers seem to do these days (when the ref isn't looking of course) is just get a skate, leg, shoulder or stick in the way of the odd man trying to join the rush. I don't know how to eliminate this (the refs aren't looking and the linemen are busy watching the offside/icing/stretch pass)...maybe a coaches challenge that would result in a penalty upon review? Or an off-ice official who communicates with the ref? I don't know...all I know is that there would be a lot more odd-man rushes if the "slow-down" tactics behind the line of attack were punished instead of going unnoticed.

I've been saying this for a long time, but I think the simplest solution is to get rid of the instigator penalty. By doing this, players would be allowed to police themselves and protect the stars on their teams. The top players would be able to skate a lot more freely without having to look over their shoulder or wonder if the Cooke's or Kaleta's of the league are going to run them from behind every time they touch the puck.

Rather than having one long change period, make the teams have long change every period by switching benches during intermissions.

1 coach on the bench, no other non players except 1 medical guy and 1 equipment guy.

Smaller goalie equipment.

Investigate if scoring would go up with wooden sticks as less breakage than composite, many opportunities seem to die with a broken stick.

Get rid of the instigator penalty.

Reducing the size of goalie pads and using "Gretzky posts" would be a great start.

Now for a crazy idea - after a penalty is called and play is whistled dead, teams line up 4-3.  In the event of a delayed penalty call (2nd penalty) during the initial PP- one PP player immediately jumps takes the ice (5-3), followed by another player as soon as the keeper hits the bench (6-3), until the PK gets actual possession, not just a tap, like he actually has control of the puck.  5-3 resumes for the duration of the overlapping penalties after the whistle. 

You wanted crazy @Nuxfanabroad , there it is!

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Reducing the size of goalie pads and using "Gretzky posts" would be a great start.

Now for a crazy idea - after a penalty is called and play is whistled dead, teams line up 4-3.  In the event of a delayed penalty call (2nd penalty) during the initial PP- one PP player immediately jumps takes the ice (5-3), followed by another player as soon as the keeper hits the bench (6-3), until the PK gets actual possession, not just a tap, like he actually has control of the puck.  5-3 resumes for the duration of the overlapping penalties after the whistle. 

You wanted crazy @Nuxfanabroad , there it is!

Like it..callin Gary soon.(we're chummy)

Archived