The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Sbisa

sbisa may get traded but i doubt anyone from 1040 has any privy to that information unless benning or linden made that declaration...if they are looking at trading a player, they won't broadcast it....unless their brian burke...

It's nice to see the trolling of Sbisa has declined significantly on these boards.

Originally it was the "analytic" goofs claiming he was one of the worst defensemen in the NHL - as in top 3 worst, which was utterly absurd.

Luca had a mere 12 turnovers last year. playing just under 18 minutes a game for half a season.   There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever, so his reputation as the 'pizza delivery' guy / turnover machine was premature and ignorant/exaggerated.

The second half of his first season here he wound up being solid in stepping up to a top 4 role.

Last year, amongst a constant flurry of injuries (himself included) - he played the fourth hardest minutes on the blueline (aside from Tanev, Edler and Hamhuis as expected) - and he managed a plus 5 (not bad in that deployment) playing primarily with a rookie (Hutton) and Bartkowski.  His underlying numbers weren't great, but need to be kept in the context - of a young depleted blueline and young depleted group of centers - not a great deal of support in stepping up in roles.

I'd love to see Sbisa in a season where his role is at or below his development/ability - imo he could really surprise people and there's some risk in moving him before we see what he's truly capable of.  I suppose the luxury at this point is that the team has the depth to take that risk, but if it doesn't work out that way I'll be the last person disappointed to see him remain here.  His value stands a pretty good chance of continuing to increase imo.

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

well that's anything but a done deal and take the source #botchedturd with a grain of salt (actually, no salt - and don't swallow anything that comes from that 'source')

I realize this however with Larsen being brought in I'd say Sbisa is likely gonzo.

3 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

As much as I love his personality, wouldn't touch Hartnell with a 10 foot pole. He's already up there in age. He has a terrible cap hit for what he has to offer production wise. He has a NMC which means he has to be protected in the expansion draft. No thanks, we got better forwards to protect.

I'm not necessarily supporting the acquisition of Hartnell,  but he's nowhere near as bad as you make him out to be.

Guy would've been the 2nd leading goal scorer on our club last year. 

He's scored 20+ goals with over 100 penalty minutes 9 times in his career.  Who else is available that can do that? 

He essentially fits JB's description perfectly.  I do understand the salary/age/expansion concerns you point out. 

44 minutes ago, PlanB said:

What part of JB's focus on 'character ' philosophy tells you that Kane would be his guy?

Let me guess,  Kane's learned his lesson?

Normally I would agree with this, but JB tried to trade for Kane in the past and he knew about his character issues then and it didn't stop JB from trying.

JB probably hopes a combination of Kane's family, some of our vets and even Linden can help nudge Kane in the right direction.

I'm 50/50 on trading for Kane.  I like his skill set and contract way more than Lucic's.  Definitely a high risk high reward type of scenario.

That being said, I think the Canucks desperately need some secondary scoring and Kane fits the bill.  We keep finding players to play with the Sedins year after year but we never solve our lack of a second line.  Well we found Eriksson to play with the Sedins this year, adding someone like Kane would give us a legitimate second line and make this team more fun to watch.

However, even with his low value, I don't think Sbisa alone gets him.

Just now, IbanezRG said:

I realize this however with Larsen being brought in I'd say Sbisa is likely gonzo.

Teams don't simply look at their top 6.

It's not a foregone conclusion by any stretch of the imagination that Sbisa wouldn't own the 5 spot, with Tryamkin and Larsen competing and platooning in the 6 and 7 spots.

We won't really know that until camp and preseason concludes (if they're all still here) - but I'd say there's every bit as much possibility that they deal Pedan as there is Sbisa moving on.  I think moving Sbisa will depend on getting reasonable value back as I think the team will definitely be stronger and deeper if he remains here.

Unless a decent hockey trade that makes sense emerges, I won't be expecting Sbisa to be gone.

Just now, oldnews said:

It's nice to see the trolling of Sbisa has declined significantly on these boards.

Originally it was the "analytic" goofs claiming he was one of the worst defensemen in the NHL - as in top 3 worst, which was utterly absurd.

Luca had a mere 12 turnovers last year. playing just under 18 minutes a game for half a season.   There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever, so his reputation as the pizze delivery guys / turnover machine was premature and ignorant/exaggerated.

The second half of his first season here he wound up being solid in stepping up to a top 4 role.

Last year, amongst a constant flurry of injuries (himself included) - he played the fourth hardest minutes on the blueline (aside from Tanev, Edler and Hamhuis as expected) - and he managed a plus 5 (not bad in that deployment) playing primarily with a rookie (Hutton) and Bartkowski.  His underlying numbers weren't great, but need to be kept in the context - of a young depleted blueline and young depleted group of centers - not a great deal of support in stepping up in roles.

I'd love to see Sbisa in a season where his role is at or below his development/ability - imo he could really surprise people and there's some risk in moving him before we see what he's truly capable of.  I suppose the luxury at this point is that the team has the depth to take that risk, but if it doesn't work out that way I'll be the last person disappointed to see him remain here.  His value stands a pretty good chance of continuing to increase imo.

Yeah, and considering at least one of the guys ahead of him were hurt for most of the year, he was slot into a 2nd/3/rd role, sometimes having to play on the top pairing.  I'd like to see what he can do with a responsible, defensive partner.  Gudbranson and Sbisa reminds me of the Mitchell-Juice pairing.

I'd rather keep him as we'll have injuries and he's likely to increase his value.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You're right in that many of the rumours do ultimately seem to have legs.  I didn't think Shinkaruk or McCann would have been on the move.  As ON alluded, I have a feeling that Pedan is on the bubble, especially considering his comments on his exit interview that he didn't think he got clear direction on what to work on.  But yeah, where there's smoke with this new regime there's often been fire, and JB was pretty open with the smoke on the weekend.

It could be either player or possibly both. Sbisa, because of how he drastically improved last season, is a player that a few teams would have interest in. Fast and physical with decent size.

Benning sees that the d-corps could survive without him though, and I think that's why he might be moving.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sbisa makes sense if JB figures Larsen will easily make the team, although pairing him with Tryamkin seems a bit risky considering both are coming over directly from the KHL.  Potential for them to be very effective though.  Sibsa has turned out to be pretty solid, and actually played better when forced into a 2nd pairing role with increased minutes.  He's physical but not the greatest hitter -- like Kassian, his timing is often off and he misses.

I just don't see us looking to get Barrie, especially considering the likely asking price.

I like what Sbisa brings, and wouldn't be crushed if he was to stay. That being said, Benning has stated that he wants to Larsen to run the PP, and I can't see Benning letting Tryamkin use his out clause to go back to the KHL. That puts the crosshairs right on Sbisa, merely because of his cap hit.

Barrie would require Tanev as the starting point. I agree.

I do see Benning making a serious play for Evander Kane, much to the chagrin of many posters here. He knows what Kane is capable of on the ice, and already tried to get him the season before.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The acquisition of EG is literally going to make every guy on D better imo. 

He adds depth and can take on any teams top forwards thereby taking the burden off other guys.

Sbisa,  as well as others,  will benefit immensely. 

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You're right in that many of the rumours do ultimately seem to have legs.  I didn't think Shinkaruk or McCann would have been on the move.  As ON alluded, I have a feeling that Pedan is on the bubble, especially considering his comments on his exit interview that he didn't think he got clear direction on what to work on.  But yeah, where there's smoke with this new regime there's often been fire, and JB was pretty open with the smoke on the weekend.

Sbisa makes sense if JB figures Larsen will easily make the team, although pairing him with Tryamkin seems a bit risky considering both are coming over directly from the KHL.  Potential for them to be very effective though.  Sibsa has turned out to be pretty solid, and actually played better when forced into a 2nd pairing role with increased minutes.  He's physical but not the greatest hitter -- like Kassian, his timing is often off and he misses.

I just don't see us looking to get Barrie, especially considering the likely asking price.

Can you update me on what happemed with the pedan exit interview? 

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Luca had a mere 12 turnovers last year. playing just under 18 minutes a game for half a season.   There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever, so his reputation as the pizze delivery guys / turnover machine was premature and ignorant/exaggerated.

If I remember correctly, there were a number of comments from posters that the Anaheim fans did not like Sbisa when he was there. As a result I think people assumed the Anaheim opinion to be absolute and he wasn't going to win over the Vancouver fans without playing way beyond his capabilities. He was destined to be the CDC whipping boy before he even got here.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not necessarily supporting the acquisition of Hartnell,  but he's nowhere near as bad as you make him out to be.

Guy would've been the 2nd leading goal scorer on our club last year. 

He's scored 20+ goals with over 100 penalty minutes 9 times in his career.  Who else is available that can do that? 

He essentially fits JB's description perfectly.  I do understand the salary/age/expansion concerns you point out. 

Sure he fits a high-level description of a rugged winger that JB is looking for but we shouldn't trade for him for the reasons I mentioned. His skating is terrible to boot. If he was 3-4 years younger I'd be all for a swap between him and Sbisa, but right now I don't see a benefit for us especially because of the expansion draft thing.

EDIT: To be fair, you were right his cap hit is decent for his production level, I thought he was more of a 35-40 point player. But I still wouldn't trade for him for the other reasons I mentioned.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yeah, and considering at least one of the guys ahead of him were hurt for most of the year, he was slot into a 2nd/3/rd role, sometimes having to play on the top pairing.  I'd like to see what he can do with a responsible, defensive partner.  Gudbranson and Sbisa reminds me of the Mitchell-Juice pairing.

I'd rather keep him as we'll have injuries and he's likely to increase his value.

Agreed Heffy.   A Sbisa Tryamkin and/or Sbisa Larsen third pairing could be pretty damn advantageous.

Particularly if people keep in mind that we now have two exceptional shutdown D on the top two pairings, meaning the hard minutes can be spread around.

Of the top of my head, I can't think many 3rd pairings in the NHL that I'd rather have than Sbisa Tryamkin.

Despres Theodore would be one - but that is exceptional - and a contender.   The Canucks D depth though has really shaped up imo.   

The one thing that may hasten a deal to move a guy like Sbisa is the fact that Juolevi is now in the pipeline - but still, that gives them time to move someone.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Thank God there is some reason on this board. Sbisa is a decent defenceman and doesn't deserve half the crap said about him. The lack of true hockey IQ on these boards is amazing.

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If I remember correctly, there were a number of comments from posters that the Anaheim fans did not like Sbisa when he was there. As a result I think people assumed the Anaheim opinion to be absolute and he wasn't going to win over the Vancouver fans without playing way beyond his capabilities. He was destined to be the CDC whipping boy before he even got here.

True - and he was subject to some very simplistic/reductive and misleading "analytics" that isolated his corsi and ignored all other factors.

2 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

Imagine the players would have worn the number 9 over the past couple of seasons:

Hodgson

Kassian

Prust

Kane

The drama.

Interesting coincidence.   And possibly some good foreshadowing that may be a good caution.

Archived