The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Sbisa

I don't mind Sbisa, I thought he was fairly steady this past season, and was not afraid to drop the gloves (which I thought took away from his game). I think with the addition of Gudbranson, we will/would see Sbisa continue to improve. Don't get me wrong, he still dishes the odd pizza up the middle, but definitely does more good than bad.

Sbisa to either Buffalo for Kane or CBS for Hartnell, plus minus additional pieces, I would be down for this, gives us that grit we are looking for.  Both are willing to drop the mitts, preferably Kane at this moment, even with his baggage, no one would mess with whatever line he is on, here probably the 2nd.  Hartnell can play with the twins as well, so interchange Loui up and down the 2nd and 1st line.  

1 hour ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

None of them have a R shot in the Tanev quality that could be involved in a trade with Colorado. 

We have many more D men available to involve in a trade with Colorado than Edm or Tor.

Colorado doesn't need forwards in my opinion, if they lose Barrie, then need D...they need D even with Barrie.

Sbisa-Larsen-Guance-CBJ 2ndwould be ideal and our D would be stacked

Edler-Barrie

Hutton-Gudy

Tryamkin-Tanev (Tanev would be such a good partner for Tryamkin) 

Damn CC, a fine back-end you got there!

15 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Can you update me on what happemed with the pedan exit interview? 

He had just commented that he felt he wasn't given any real direction, in what they expected from him or what they wanted him to work on.  Going by the pattern of management so far, it sounded a bit familiar and like he isn't fully in their plans.  Don't recall the source, but it was in a written post-season interview of him.

in the past couple of years, we had so many injuries to defensemen, i don't know why they would want to clean out, all our d-depth...

right now, we have some good competition on the blue line....i'ld rather let the players decide who should make this team...

10 minutes ago, I'myourhuckleberry said:

No more Sbisas pizza delivery

Bartkowski and Weber are half the defensemen Sbisa is. I might be wrong, but I seem to recollect those two coughing the puck up with far greater regularity than Sbisa.

Yet Nashville has decided to make Yannick their primary Weber now. Man that will be a depressing sight for Nashville fans......

I am a fan of Sbisa, but given the high price of defenders lately it's definitely an interesting option to explore. We've got a lot of middle-to-low end defenders currently, someone's probably going to have to go.

I'm assuming he'd be gone during the expansion draft anyway, honestly.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Bartkowski and Weber were half the defensemen Sbisa was. I might be wrong, but I seem to recollect those two coughing the puck up with far greater regularity than Sbisa.

Yet Nashville has decided to make Yannick their primary Weber now. Man that will be a depressing sight for Nashville fans......

On the plus side, they can always stop looking at Yannick and look at Subban!

6 minutes ago, I'myourhuckleberry said:

Sbisa to either Buffalo for Kane or CBS for Hartnell, plus minus additional pieces, I would be down for this, gives us that grit we are looking for.  Both are willing to drop the mitts, preferably Kane at this moment, even with his baggage, no one would mess with whatever line he is on, here probably the 2nd.  Hartnell can play with the twins as well, so interchange Loui up and down the 2nd and 1st line.  

Quite a huge difference in value imo between Kane and Hartnell.

Kane may have a rep attached to him, but Hartnell, as good as he is, imo represents negative value in context.  I love him, but the reality is that his NMC combined with three years remaining at 4.75 (and only one of them where his salary dips) makes him an extremely hard sell for Columbus.  I think Jarmo really fked up at the draft in not taking advantage of packaging him with a pick deal - and the price to move him / leverage against him only increases with time imo.

We'll see  - a lot of discussion about it in the Hartnell thread, but as far as I'm concerned Columbus would have to add to Hartnell if they're hoping to land a guy like Sbisa, not vice versa.   Hartnell's contract, his age and the expansion draft pretty much counters his current value as a player.    I think the CBJ will regret not getting out in front of this - and the dumps of Datsyuk to Arizona (where Chayka got owned by Detroit) and Bickell to Carolina doesn't help their options.

Just now, BananaMash said:

On the plus side, they can always stop looking at Yannick and look at Subban!

For sure, but that name on the jersey, especially if Yannick gets to keep his number, will draw the eye, and then a few tears from said eye.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure, but that name on the jersey, especially if Yannick gets to keep his number, will draw the eye, and then a few tears from said eye.

Some poor fan is going to have the pleasure of having this conversation with a newer fan at some point:

"Ew, why'd you get a Weber jersey? He's awful"
"What? He's one of the best defenders in franchise histor-"

"Hahaha, Yannick Weber was terrible!"

"Noo, this is a Shea Weber jersey!"

Sbisa's play last year was significantly improved over his first year here. I would like to see him stay but if you get good value for him (ie hartnell or Kane, with some tinkering of course) then I think you do it. I would like to see him back though.

I am pretty sure that if Hartnell is traded he won't require protection in the looming expansion draft as he would have already waived his NMC. His new team has the option to reinstate it, or not. That is from what I have read at least.

Just now, BananaMash said:

Some poor fan is going to have the pleasure of having this conversation with a newer fan at some point:

"Ew, why'd you get a Weber jersey? He's awful"
"What? He's one of the best defenders in franchise histor-"

"Hahaha, Yannick Weber was terrible!"

"Noo, this is a Shea Weber jersey!"

Which is why Yannick should be forced to pick another number, and if Nashville had any sense, they'd retire Shea's.

I like how you've already put the mention of Yannick Weber in the past tense.

I think Stevie Y is probably in reverse mode right now - looking to deal a forward for a blueliner.

They may have little choice but to move a Killorn or Palat (barring the ability to move Callahan or Filpulla or other....who knows who).

I don't think Luca necessarily carries that kind of value, but he could potentially be packaged - or as theminister has pointed out, a Pedan for Paquette deal could make a lot of sense, and w'd be able to retain Luca and ice an extremely strong top 7 D imo. 

Nice problem to have for a change imo.  Defensive depth is always a position of strength to be negotiating from.

Archived