The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Las Vegas roster could be stealth winner of 2016 free agency

7 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

How does Juolevi playing in the NHL this season impact which player gets protected in the Canucks?

He could make another d-man expendable if he steps up to be a top 4, but that would likely open up a trade 

Isn't Etem an RFA next offseason? So why would we need to protect him unless RFAs are eligible too. Etem essentially is a free agent after the season is over so do we really need to protect him? Same with Rodin. Both are RFAs so they're free agents. We'd only have to decide between Hansen and Granlund and Hansen will be the obvious choice.

2 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Isn't Etem an RFA next offseason? So why would we need to protect him unless RFAs are eligible too. Etem essentially is a free agent after the season is over so do we really need to protect him? Same with Rodin. Both are RFAs so they're free agents. We'd only have to decide between Hansen and Granlund and Hansen will be the obvious choice.

You need to protect RFAs as well if you don't want them exposed. It's possible that Rodin has a great season, I am looking forward to him the most considering the season he had in the SHL.

The crazy part, to me, is that LV could potentially select 30 NHL quality players of varying ages and still keep their cap hit quite low. This could even mean they have 8 top 6 D, 3 'starting' goalies, and still be left with 19 forwards. 

Then they could deal 10-12 of them for futures, to free up roster spots, and still be a major player in FA because of their cap space. 

It's really going to be a cushy landing like we've never seen. Done correctly, they may even be able to jump a handful of teams in depth. 

I find Drance is usually hung up in outsmarting himself - too keen to try to find a dramatic angle - something that suits the media market he works in however.

The part about Eriksson pretty much fits the bill.

"And on and on it goes. Loui Eriksson looks like a good fit for the Vancouver Canucks, but his no-movement clause could force the club to make a difficult decision to protect only one of Jannik Hansen, Anton Rodin, Emerson Etem or Markus Granlund next June"

Adding Eriksson at the potential cost of losing a Rodin etc is the cost of making your team better.  It's a similar dynamic when you improve through free agency and risk losing a player on waivers as a result.  Not much to see really.    You add a 30 goal/60 pt player - you live with the relative 'loss'.

Vancouver doesn't have a difficult decision at all. Hopefully Hansen has another great year. If Rodin plays well we protect him and trade Hansen, if Rodin busts we protect Hansen, or the best performer out of Granlund and Etem if JH is traded. The Canucks are in a great spot regarding expansion. Obviously they protect Marky as well.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I find Drance is usually hung up in outsmarting himself - too keen to try to find a dramatic angle - something that suits the media market he works in however.

The part about Eriksson pretty much fits the bill.

"And on and on it goes. Loui Eriksson looks like a good fit for the Vancouver Canucks, but his no-movement clause could force the club to make a difficult decision to protect only one of Jannik Hansen, Anton Rodin, Emerson Etem or Markus Granlund next June"

Adding Eriksson at the potential cost of losing a Rodin etc is the cost of making your team better.  It's a similar dynamic when you improve through free agency and risk losing a player on waivers as a result.  Not much to see really.    You add a 30 goal/60 pt player - you live with the relative 'loss'.

And the comparative loss to your competitors who will likely be more handicapped than us. 

We will lose an asset...we will by no means lose one of the top 20 players taken. Not unless many of our young players dramatically improve this season, and how could that be a negative?

We may need to take one 'step back' but other teams will take two or three. I would guess that near 50% of the teams, or more, will lose players that they spent a 1st round pick to acquire. That may be true of us too, Granlund or Etem for example, but there will be other teams that will lose prime assets. Prime. That is just the way this math will work. 

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Which team does everybody figure has it the worst? Presently at least. Much can change

At the moment, I'm going to say TBay. As it stands they are going to have to give  up either Bishop or Vasilevsky. While that doesn't change their roster too much (since only one goalie plays at a time), both are incredibly valuable assets.

Bishop is probably a top 5 starter in the league and Vasilevsky is one of the top up and coming goalies. Obviously they could trade one before the expansion draft, but as of right now they stand to lose an incredibly valuable asset for nothing.

6 hours ago, theminister said:

The crazy part, to me, is that LV could potentially select 30 NHL quality players of varying ages and still keep their cap hit quite low. This could even mean they have 8 top 6 D, 3 'starting' goalies, and still be left with 19 forwards. 

Then they could deal 10-12 of them for futures, to free up roster spots, and still be a major player in FA because of their cap space. 

It's really going to be a cushy landing like we've never seen. Done correctly, they may even be able to jump a handful of teams in depth. 

This way of looking at the expansion draft, that is, from LV's point of view is very interesting indeed and can provide insight for planning for LV's Canuck pick.

It would be a fun job, I would think, to work with a group managing the Vegas club.

Since LV can take only one Canuck, we probably don't have to worry about losing a goalie, just protect Markstrom and meet the minimum criteria (e.g. Bachlund) for exposing one goalie.  Vegas is going to bring the pain elsewhere for probably 3 goalies, as TM states above.

LV is probably not going to nail us for a forward either if there choices are just Granlund, Etem, and Rodin, assuming we protect Hansen, but even if we don't, they may find better pickings elsewhere.

So I am thinking they will take one of our defensemen, and even then, like Jim Benning said, "we're ok for the expansion draft".

But yeah, sitting in on the decisions to trade expansion draft picks for entry draft picks and prospects, saving a boatload of cap of cap and cash for free agency, and building an instant team out a mix of players and prospects who were until this time, completely unrelated to each other, would be a most entertaining pastime; might even make a good add-on to computer hockey game's GM-Mode 2017 - "Build The Expansion Team".

Author of the article brings it up but doesn't really explore the benefits Vegas will be able to accumulate due to this more powerful expansion draft.

As theminister says above, they are going to have 30 NHL players, and even if they trade some for futures, they are going to need something like an AHL team to hold the NHL-quality players that don't make the cut, free agency acquisitions, prospects they have traded for, and soon, new draftees. 

• 1 month later...
On 2016-07-06 at 1:54 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Stupid having to give up one of our players for a new team. There's a few scrub franchises worthy of relocation.

you forgot about one smallish difference between expansion and relocation

the expansion fee

$500 million.. split 30 ways.. more or less

$15 mill to each franchise to give up one middling player

pretty good deal to the existing teams i think

make the new team take one of your average players and use up their cap space

then to allow the new team to simply be free to use their entire cap space to chase free agents and scoop up the best free agent talent in the league

this process ensures that the new team does not get too good too fast

and maintains happiness in the league

Archived