The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police Kill Another Man In Cold Blood In Falcon Heights

SabreFan1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

It goes back to the numbers thing.  Say only 5 percent of Americans are those things.  That's half the population of Canada right there.  That leaves 95% of the country as good people.  Over 300 million decent people.  That's almost 10 times the population of Canada.

Former cops have gone on public interviews and have said that they were trained to look at the general public as likely enemies until proven otherwise.

That's so jarring... especially when you consider how vague "proven otherwise" can be. I don't get how people can advocate for the rights to have guns but then when someone's shot by the police "he was carrying a gun" is a valid excuse for the killing. If they're not reaching for it or if they've been pinned down to a position where they can't shouldn't that be good enough? Just put handcuffs on the guy or confiscate his weapon, even if it ends up being a wrongful arrest he still gets to walk away with his life and his kid still gets to have his father.

I don't think I can watch another video, it just hurts too much to think about. Thanks for posting about this though.

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know little about Canadian cops.  The only dealing I ever had with them was when the OPP pulled me over in the early 1990's doing almost 200 kph on the QEW.

They were actually pretty cool with me.

canadian cops arent bad. my only deal with them are how they handle the drug trade over here. they know everything about these people, but they wait until a gang member gets smoked, then come out and say, yea this guy who was shot is "known to police" but at the same time, some poor bastard was randomly caught in the crossfire

I don't know if this is recent or whatever but heres another video.  Its quite disgusting (Warning it shows the man bleeding out and dying)

Edit- Must be recent as there are new news article being written posted yesterday. 

42 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

like canadian cops are any better. our law enforcement seem to like to protect drug dealers more than the general public

Well from where I am from (neither Canada or United States) currently suspected criminals, drug dealers, and drug syndicates are being gunned down by police and the newly elected president is encouraging civilians to get a gun and shoot these suspected individuals.

The problem with this is this goes against every Human Rights/Ethical code and suspected doesn't mean guilty since that still has to be proven.

Scary part is most people from where I am from are supporting this.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Well from where I am from (neither Canada or United States) currently suspected criminals, drug dealers, and drug syndicates are being gunned down by police and the newly elected president is encouraging civilians to get a gun and shoot these suspected individuals.

The problem with this is this goes against every Human Rights/Ethical code and suspected doesn't mean guilty since that still has to be proven.

Scary part is most people from where I am from are supporting this.

Yes Brazil is turning into a 3rd world country fast.

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well I am not from Brazil but yes a country is never go beyond the 3rd world if people keep acting like this.

Philippine? The situation there is incredibly scary. A corrupt, bigoted man encouraging vigilante murders. And he won by a landslide. 

"Forget the laws on human rights" 

7 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Philippine? The situation there is incredibly scary. A corrupt, bigoted man encouraging vigilante murders. And he won by a landslide. 

Oh yeah. Most of my friends love the guy.

I don't mind him being tough on crime problem is he's not being tough but fair. Problem is he's encouraging civilians to kill drug addicts, I mean they need help and killing them is gone too far.

Also talked to people who said this "Wild West" mentality on crime is necessary because The Philippines is a failed state. I was like thinking WTF the country has problems but calling it a failed state or thinking were at that point is a exaggerating it by a mile.

In any event worse comes to worse I'll do what Americans will be doing if Trump wins and just move to Canada.

4 hours ago, Watermelon said:

I don't know if this is recent or whatever but heres another video.  Its quite disgusting (Warning it shows the man bleeding out and dying)

Edit- Must be recent as there are new news article being written posted yesterday. 

Holy &^@# that was just roid rage and cold blood murder

6 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know little about Canadian cops.  The only dealing I ever had with them was when the OPP pulled me over in the early-mid 1990's doing almost 200 kph on the QEW.

They were actually pretty cool with me.

The RCMP have so much power that Allen Dulles was envious.  They basically have the combined powers of the state police, the highway patrol, the National Guard, the F.B.I., the A.T.F., and Homeland Security.  Their jurisdiction is unlimited.  Add to that the fact that they are never punished and have been able to entirely subvert all internal reviews, despite having been caught breaking into the offices of political parties.  We had martial law in the 70's, as a result of a political kidnapping in Quebec, and RCMP across the country were given the green light to kick down any door they liked, and they did.

Luckily, only a small number of them are psychotic bigots that lack conflict resolution skills.  The big thing is that we're not all packing, so all walks of life are a lot more chill.

As far as I know, Canada is the only first world country whose main criminal investigation arm is actually para-military - as in, trained in a barracks and subject to a military discipline system.  A civilian police force is a cornerstone of a free democracy.  We want people who live in our community to walk the beat, not the King's gendarmes.  That said, American policing is about as militarized as it gets, and none of them identify as civilians.

1 minute ago, Screw said:

USA Gun culture + fear

If people are packing heat it is not good for anyone.  

Was just about to say this.  This is not to blame either of the victims for carrying guns, but the prominence of guns in the US creates fear, stress, anxiety, and "wild west" kill-or-be-killed mentality.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Just finished watching and reading about this on reddit...

Why in the holy mother of &^@# are they not taking more soldiers/veterans and employing them as police officers; the cops they've got sure as hell aren't trained well enough to handle this sort of thing.

:o ! BLACK GUY! :o SAYS HE HAS A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT! :o ! BLACK MAN + GUN = PEW PEW!!! ....

Just stupid.

Straight up Murder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/4rmo35/graphic_video_shows_black_man_bleeding_after/

I see a few issues with this:

- A soldier's training isn't so much to defuse a situation as it is to kill

- IMO, you'd have to do some serious psychological screening on these guys. Seeing what they've seen and doing what they've done I'd imagine they could be at a serious risk for PTSD. Does it seem like a good idea to give that guy a gun and throw him in some hot water?

- This may not be much different from the status quo but I imagine some vets may develop some racial prejudices towards the people from the region they fought in. I only know two US military vets- one of which doesn't seem to have any racial tendencies, while the other definitely does. Those tendencies may have existed prior to his time in Iraq anyway but they exist nonetheless. Isn't that an issue we want to phase out?

America

A country where trained cops are followed to act on impulse and treat everyone as a threat while untrained civilians are expected to stay calm and follow directions while someone is screaming and cursing at them while waving a gun in their face from behind a badge

I think another aspect of these cases that needs to be examined is how the 911 system functions.

An anonymous caller makes a report and the dispatcher conveys that message and the police accept it as fact.

Even in an alleged emergency situation there needs to be greater caution and another step short of the use of deadly force.

There is no simple solution to this.  It is a cause/effect thing that has been building for decades.  When the courts are not punishing effectively and failing to protect society it leads to frustrated police and a society that feels it needs to protect itself. 

With more citizens armed, the police feel more threatened and end up taking more of the kinds of actions we see in these videos.  This leads to more insecurity by the public and a feeling they need to protect themselves from not only the criminals, but the police too.  The police in so many areas are now considered another threat and part of the problem versus the protectors of society and keepers of the peace.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The RCMP have so much power that Allen Dulles was envious.  They basically have the combined powers of the state police, the highway patrol, the National Guard, the F.B.I., the A.T.F., and Homeland Security.  Their jurisdiction is unlimited.  Add to that the fact that they are never punished and have been able to entirely subvert all internal reviews, despite having been caught breaking into the offices of political parties.  We had martial law in the 70's, as a result of a political kidnapping in Quebec, and RCMP across the country were given the green light to kick down any door they liked, and they did.

Luckily, only a small number of them are psychotic bigots that lack conflict resolution skills.  The big thing is that we're not all packing, so all walks of life are a lot more chill.

As far as I know, Canada is the only first world country whose main criminal investigation arm is actually para-military - as in, trained in a barracks and subject to a military discipline system.  A civilian police force is a cornerstone of a free democracy.  We want people who live in our community to walk the beat, not the King's gendarmes.  That said, American policing is about as militarized as it gets, and none of them identify as civilians.

Wow.  I never knew all of that about the RCMP.  Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

Yes the cops here are hugely militarized.  They're even sold/given US military surplus weapons and vehicles.

Archived