The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Former or current Canucks numbers get retired?

ItsMillerTime

Sedins for sure. I love Bo and I'm excited about Olli and Brock but it's very premature to be talking jersey retirements. Let's see if the forwards can hit a 30 goal season first, and we'll take it from there. 

ROH for Luongo, Lumme, and Salo. 

IMO, #10 (Bure), #12 (Smyl) and #19 (Naslund) shouldn't have been retired. Ring of Honor seems fitting. 

Linden's #16 should be the only number retired. But that's just me.

Daniel #22 and Henrik #33 retired for sure. If the upcoming core (Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko etc) catch lightning and lead the team to a Cup, then one of them might be up there one day too. Who really knows.

2 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Five numbers retired, including Gretzky. Three others unofficially retired. #22 + #33 will be retired. That leaves 10 our of 99 numbers out of commission. No more retirements without Cups after the Sedins. We're not going to have any numbers left at this rate.

If you think we have it bad, look at Montreal. They've retired 15. 

2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

It's a little embarassing that we have so many #'s retired and no cups.

Does any team with no cups have more retired #'s?

This is how you fabricate gratuitous glory/tradition for a team that has essentially accomplished nothing in its history.  I love the Canucks, but there is no legacy or tradition of winning associated with the team...a few good feel-good moments and personalities (1981, 1994, 2011, Pat Quinn, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure) but no championships.  Championships are what real tradition is built around.

With all due respect to the jerseys hanging in the Rogers Arena rafters, they should be brought down and be placed on the ring of honor.  IMO, that's where all the jersey numbers belong.

3 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

lolz...talk about, when "15 minutes of fame", really literally means 15 minutes.

Chris Levesque

3 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

I was thinking about what Canucks should get there number retired? 

Current numbers retired     Unofficial numbers retired

10-Bure                             11-Maki

12-Smyl                             28-Bourdon

16-Linden                          37-Rypen 

19-Naslund

Sedins numbers are for sure retired.

But players like Loungo, Gino (Unofficial once Pedan is gone) Edler? 

Future Canucks?

I can see Horvat, Juolevi, Boeser 

I'm okay with 11, 28 and 37 being "retired" (screw you Messier). It is a sign of respect for an active player who died while he is still associated with the team. 

Don't really care about #99 being retired. Screw Gretzky. If the NHL wants to do things like that then why don't they retire #9 across the NHL?

I have mixed feelings about the other four being retired. Smyl and perhaps Linden are okay. Bure and Naslund put up lots of numbers, but I wasn't ever really tied to those guys.

If I was allowed to chose a new number for retirement then I'd pick #25, Orland Kurtenbach.

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

It's a little embarassing that we have so many #'s retired and no cups.

Does any team with no cups have more retired #'s?

32 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

This is how you fabricate gratuitous glory/tradition for a team that has essentially accomplished nothing in its history.  I love the Canucks, but there is no legacy or tradition of winning associated with the team...a few good feel-good moments and personalities (1981, 1994, 2011, Pat Quinn, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure) but no championships.  Championships are what real tradition is built around.

With all due respect to the jerseys hanging in the Rogers Arena rafters, they should be brought down and be placed on the ring of honor.  IMO, that's where all the jersey numbers belong.

Exactly. I'm a huge fan too but other than Bure and the unofficial list it is very debatable. 10 is in the HOF so I concede that one. Utmost respect for 16 and 12 and 19 but retired # is just a touch too much.

Archived