The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Former or current Canucks numbers get retired?

ItsMillerTime

4 hours ago, xereau said:

22 and 33.  None others currently or formerly.  10 and 19 were a mistake, in my humble opinion.  Bure was amazing.  And Naslund was good. But you retire legends.

I don't fully disagree about Naslund, despite him being one of my favourite players growing up.

However even using your criteria, you could argue that Bure was a legend.  He is arguably the most electrifying player of his generation and is 6th all-time in goals per game.  He's a legend in my books and I'm sure in many others as well.

9 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

LOL at people who think #10 shouldn't be retired!!  :lol:

He's the ONLY player in Canucks history with one of these...

image.jpeg

You're aware that Mats Sundin is on the opposite side of Bure right? He played for us. Ever so briefly, but he did play. Neely, Larionov, and Messier are all in the HOF as well. Bure is just the only HOF player known for being a Canuck. 

12 minutes ago, 6string said:

Mattias Ohlund eleven years of dedication warrants some recognition from the organization!

Didn't they just add him to the Ring of Honor?? 

**Correction: They announced he will be added to the ROH in December.

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

It's a little embarassing that we have so many #'s retired and no cups.

Does any team with no cups have more retired #'s?

St. Louis has 6 numbers in the rafters and no cup, the only team I can think of at the moment.

Edit: Googled it and I believe the Blues are the only team with no cups and more retired numbers than us, the Sabres have 3 retired numbers.

Retire luongos number-no way.

Sedins for sure no questions asked

I would like to see players that played there whole carreer with the canucks put in the ring of honor as long as it was a certain number of years (10 for example)  id love to see hansen; burrows play out there careers in a canuck jersey just like ohlund should have. Guys like that have bèen great players for us. It pains me to hear people talk these guys down. 

35 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

You're aware that Mats Sundin is on the opposite side of Bure right? He played for us. Ever so briefly, but he did play. Neely, Larionov, and Messier are all in the HOF as well. Bure is just the only HOF player known for being a Canuck. 

You're comparing what Neely, Sundin, Larionov and Messier did in a Canucks uniform versus Bure??  Lol!!

I don't recall any of those players you mentioned OTHER than Bure being prominent in a Stanley Cup run for the Canucks, or scoring 60 goals in consecutive seasons for the Canucks, or winning the Calder trophy playing for the Canucks.  Bure is the ONLY player in Canucks history to win the Calder trophy and the only player to score 60 goals in one season (twice).

Other Bure records:  Most goals and points in one playoff year, highest goal scoring total % (goals vs. games played) in Canucks history, highest point total % (points vs. games played) in Cancuks history, tied for most goals in playoff history with Linden (Bure did it in half the amount of games), most short handed goals in Canucks history...

11 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

You're comparing what Neely, Sundin, Larionov and Messier did in a Canucks uniform versus Bure??  Lol!!

? No? Did you even read my post? 

11 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I don't recall any of those players you mentioned OTHER than Bure being prominent in a Stanley Cup run for the Canucks, or scoring 60 goals in consecutive seasons for the Canucks, or winning the Calder trophy playing for the Canucks.  Bure is the ONLY player in Canucks history to win the Calder trophy and the only player to score 60 goals in one season (twice).

They weren't, and I never said they were. You said Bure is the ONLY Canuck Player in the HOF. I just pointed out that he actually is not. The other players were not even close to being a prominent Canucks player as Bure was, but they did play for us at one point and are in the HOF. So Technically, Bure is NOT the only Canucks PLAYER to be in the HOF. He's just the only one that prominently remembered for being a Canuck, because he was something special for this team and had a long career here. 

6 hours ago, xereau said:

22 and 33.  None others currently or formerly.  10 and 19 were a mistake, in my humble opinion.  Bure was amazing.  And Naslund was good. But you retire legends.

So the most prolific goal scorer and game changing player in Canucks history who is also Hall of Famer doesn't warrant a number retirement? Are you high?

28 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

? No? Did you even read my post? 

They weren't, and I never said they were. You said Bure is the ONLY Canuck Player in the HOF. I just pointed out that he actually is not. The other players were not even close to being a prominent Canucks player as Bure was, but they did play for us at one point and are in the HOF. So Technically, Bure is NOT the only Canucks PLAYER to be in the HOF. He's just the only one that prominently remembered for being a Canuck, because he was something special for this team and had a long career here. 

No problem. Sorry I misinterpreted what you said...

Pavel Bure is the only player in the Hockey Hall of Fame to have his number retired by the Vancouver Canucks...  B)

10 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

So the most prolific goal scorer and game changing player in Canucks history who is also Hall of Famer doesn't warrant a number retirement? Are you high?

Again, not after he spit in the face of the Canucks and their fans by demanding a trade and sitting out until it went through.

Only the Sedins get retired.

Luongo goes to the ROH.

Richard Brodeur will eventually be recognized appropriately and put in the ROH.

Burrows probably goes into the ROH.

Decent chance of Gino, Tiger Williams and Ronning in the ROH.

It would be nice to see Andre Boudrias and Don Lever in the ROH as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kesler had the ROH locked up but then blew it with his behavior during his final year here.

15 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, #10 (Bure), #12 (Smyl) and #19 (Naslund) shouldn't have been retired. Ring of Honor seems fitting. 

Linden's #16 should be the only number retired. But that's just me.

Daniel #22 and Henrik #33 retired for sure. If the upcoming core (Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko etc) catch lightning and lead the team to a Cup, then one of them might be up there one day too. Who really knows.

I can see the arguments against Bure and Naslund.  Smyl was Linden before Linden, though.

18 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

It's a little embarassing that we have so many #'s retired and no cups.

Does any team with no cups have more retired #'s?

I don't think so.  But we also have an exceptionally long history for a team with no Cup.

The Kings have six retired numbers, and they only won their first Cup a few years ago.

I wouldn't have complained about any of their retired numbers, and none of those players contributed to a Cup win.

Archived