The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twelve Cops Shot In Dallas Five Dead After Protest Over Recent Killings

SabreFan1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

America

A country where trained cops are followed to act on impulse and treat everyone as a threat while untrained civilians are expected to stay calm and follow directions while someone is screaming and cursing at them while waving a gun in their face from behind a badge

This was inevitable 

Its the other way around, the cops are the ones who are ones yelled at and sweared at most of the time.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was also written 200 years ago, and the US Army wasn't in existence and about 37 less states. We're not talking muskets and flintlocks. The fledgling US was worried about the British taking the Colonies back. The US once outlawed liquor, then repealed it. Context is what's completely missing. Raymond Chandler had it right. "So many guns around and so few brains....."

I own firearms and I'm fine with our laws as it stands. 

The US Army was created in 1775.

I have brainwashed Republicans on my Facebook feed saying that the lives of these police officers is worth it if it means they keep their right to carry weapons. Why? To protect their "freedom".

America's obsession with guns does not bring them freedom. Merely death.

Apparently booby traps with a suspicious package that might have had dynamite etc, has been spotted. And near that place, one person has turned himself into custody who had possible ties to the shooting

So the guy in the camo shirt who had his picture circulated had nothing to do with the shooting, he's seen idly standing in the crowd when the shooting's happening. Unfortunately now his picture's been passed around everywhere labeling him as the killer with no evidence behind it... social media journalism strikes again. People are so eager to be the first ones to report something that they'll just throw it out there with no proof behind it.

(Although it doesn't make it any less scary that he's carrying an assault rifle around like that... open carry states are something, man.)

2 minutes ago, iwtl said:

There is zero excuse or justification for this - it serves only to lessen the community support for the BLM movement.

Sadly this was predictable and in my opinion could have been lessened with proper responses over the past few days to the death of the 2 black men shot and killed.

Leadership begins at the top - full stop. In both cases the officers involved should have been placed in protective custody until the initial investigation. To have them free given the video's of the incidents is the genesis of this. Secondly the command of both police departments should have been public about ensuring that if the evidence directs that it was murder that it would be treated as such - if it isn't it would be only after a thorough and transparent investigation.

And lastly the seeds for civil war exists in parts of the US - Poverty, the feeling of suppression and loss of hope.  My comments are not in support of tonight's horrific actions, rather a bad feeling that this is going to get worse before it gets better.

When 99.99% of cops are upstanding citizens doing a hell of a job I hope that people remember that a couple of bad cops did bad things - just like a few radical people tonight did some very horrible things .... Don't form bias on an entire race or force based on the terrible actions of a few. I hope they bring this to a peaceful end without any further injuries or death.

A hashtag isn't gonna help these people.

This level of systematic racism in the US has been going on throughout their history.

These violent protests aren't just about Treyvon Martin, or Michael Brown, or Alton Sterling, it's about deep rooted injustices that have been happening for decades. People in those communities are fed up with being treated as criminals and second class citizens.

Whether right or wrong these incidents are what happens when these issues go ignored and unanswered. Unless you're a black person living in the US you can't begin to understand the anger and frustration that exists there.

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

So the guy in the camo shirt who had his picture circulated had nothing to do with the shooting, he's seen idly standing in the crowd when the shooting's happening. Unfortunately now his picture's been passed around everywhere labeling him as the killer with no evidence behind it... social media journalism strikes again. People are so eager to be the first ones to report something that they'll just throw it out there with no proof behind it.

(Although it doesn't make it any less scary that he's carrying an assault rifle around like that... open carry states are something, man.)

The cops picked it up and ran with it.  They were the ones who released the picture from what the news said.

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

So that might explain the "person of interest" in custody? Since you posted that he apparently turned in his weapon.

Dunno.  It's coming in fast.  According to the guys brother, he gave a cop his weapon as the snipers were still firing so he wouldn't get shot.

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was also written 200 years ago, and the US Army wasn't in existence and about 37 less states. We're not talking muskets and flintlocks. The fledgling US was worried about the British taking the Colonies back. The US once outlawed liquor, then repealed it. Context is what's completely missing. Raymond Chandler had it right. "So many guns around and so few brains....."

I own firearms and I'm fine with our laws as it stands. 

What? You know I own guns too, here in Canada....

So if it's not your gun laws, why is America so damn crazy?

And I ask sincerely, ghost, why is your country so violent?

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

The US Army was created in 1775.

Continental Army is NOT the US Army. The Legion of the United States which and made into a regular Army in 1791.

The Continental Army was minutemen, volunteers and more para-military, it was not a Regular or Standing Army. Thus why the 2nd Amendment says Militia. The US Army might say it's has it roots there, but it was a fledgling nation. You can say it's splitting hairs, but it has merit. That's like the US Air Force was in existence since the Air Service of the Army Signal Corps. 

From Wikipedia:

After the war, though, the Continental Army was quickly given land certificates and disbanded in a reflection of the republican distrust of standing armies. State militias became the new nation's sole ground army, with the exception of a regiment to guard the Western Frontier and one battery of artillery guarding West Point's arsenal.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Continental Army is NOT the US Army. The Legion of the United States which and made into a regular Army in 1791.

The Continental Army was minutemen, volunteers and more para-military, it was not a Regular or Standing Army. Thus why the 2nd Amendment says Militia. The US Army might say it's has it roots there, but it was a fledgling nation. You can say it's splitting hairs, but it has merit. That's like the US Air Force was in existence since the Air Service of the Army Signal Corps. 

From Wikipedia:

After the war, though, the Continental Army was quickly given land certificates and disbanded in a reflection of the republican distrust of standing armies. State militias became the new nation's sole ground army, with the exception of a regiment to guard the Western Frontier and one battery of artillery guarding West Point's arsenal.

Fair enough.  Like you said, the Army would disagree with you. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Are they sure? 

Cuz open carry is legal in Texas.

Camo shirt is legal in Texas.

Black people are also legal in Texas.... I think.

The cops most likely went full out and were interested in rounding up anybody that was even a possibility.

Archived